• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Bible?

jenngorham said:
and that right there is why i think it is dangerous to do it to anyone. there are always, always extenuating circumstances.

What were the Mansion family's extenuating circumstances? What were the extenuating circumstances when Hitler was having Jews exterminated? What were the extenuating circumstances when the Iraqi’s were shooting unarmed and innocent women and children?

Ya Krunk'd Floo said:
It's 'Ya', not 'Yawn'. I'm all set for Tees, thanks. Do you want a leopard-skin print thong that says 'Bocko'?

I'm calling you Yawn. As for that thong; yes please.

Ya Krunk'd Floo said:
Au contraire, Robert. I am merely highlighting the fallacy of your contentions in a flippant manner.

No your not, your trying to stir something up.

Go away, Ya Krunk'd Foo, we don't need any trolls.

Robert said:
What were the Mansion family's extenuating circumstances? What were the extenuating circumstances when Hitler was having Jews exterminated? What were the extenuating circumstances when the Iraqi’s were shooting unarmed and innocent women and children?

i wouldn't presume to know. and robert please know, i have 2 small children.all of these things you list horrify me to my very core. i just feel that it is dangerous to look at people and say you are evil, and you are good. we set ourselves up for failure by doing that. nothing is black and white. yes there are evil, evil actions. killing and maiming and torturing are all evil. but can you pull one person aside and know them entirely and say they are evil? i couldn't.

jenngorham said:
and that right there is why i think it is dangerous to do it to anyone. there are always, always extenuating circumstances.

Not always but certainly almost always. I dnt think its dangerous to describe those who know their actions are evil and yet choose to commit them, often with glee, as evil though.

jenngorham said:
i wouldn't presume to know. and robert please know, i have 2 small children.all of these things you list horrify me to my very core. i just feel that it is dangerous to look at people and say you are evil, and you are good. we set ourselves up for failure by doing that. nothing is black and white. yes there are evil, evil actions. killing and maiming and torturing are all evil. but can you pull one person aside and know them entirely and say they are evil? i couldn't.

I can't agree, but I can respect how you feel. Being a mother of two young children must be very frightening in this day and age.

Robert said:
I would agree that one could argue that there exists different degrees of good or evil, however I would also argue that a person that has any good in them would not have committed the atrocities these folks were guilty of.

Pay close attention to the latter part of your post.

Your contention that 'a person that has any good in them would not have committed the atrocities these folks were guilty of' means that you are subjecting people to a 'quality' judgement, which would mean that certain instances of 'good' would be evaluated against instances of 'bad'. The result of which gives you your defined 'good' and 'bad' person. Can you not see the ridiculousness of your judgement call?

RobertFKennedy said:
No more so than in any other day or age.

Not so. It's much more frightening to raise children today then it was when my children were that age. Anybody that raises children deserves a full measure of respect and support.

Ya Krunk'd Floo said:
Pay close attention to the latter part of your post.

Your contention that 'a person that has any good in them would not have committed the atrocities these folks were guilty of' means that you are subjecting people to a 'quality' judgement, which would mean that certain instances of 'good' would be evaluated against instances of 'bad'. The result of which gives you your defined 'good' and 'bad' person. Can you not see the ridiculousness of your judgement call?

Not so. Nice try, troll.

As for reading the Bible (remember that topic?), there is a tradition in some Jewish circles of married couples reading the Song of Songs to each other on Friday nights (the start of Sabbath). Since my husband is Jewish, we do that sometimes. It's the best love poem ever written. *fans self*

Robert said:
Not so. It's much more frightening to raise children today then it was when my children were that age.

I think thats just a matter of perception. Parents in generations gone by would probably have said the same.

whenever i read any accounts of what it was like for women and children, i am very grateful to be raising children now.

So, everyone got excited for a while and then decided that Good & Evil are more complex concepts that would appear at first sight.
This you can sort out in one afternoon, but days later and poor bobby is still left with his planet x conundrum. It all seems so unfair…

Back