• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Da Vinci Code V.S. Angels and Demons

Robert Langdon also looks nothing like Tom Hanks. In any way, but then how I picture him in my wonderfully over active imagination will be entirely different to how anyone else pictured him. And that there is the problem with books made into films. *minor rant*

Doesn't The da Vinci Code in fact, in one of the clumsiest pieces of pandering to casual readers ever, describe Langdon as looking like "Harrison Ford in tweed"?

I think I purposefully chose to ignore that part, Robert Langdon looks nothing like Harrison Ford, not in my head anyway! He doesn't look like any actor/singer/other random famous person named just to help out those with little or no imagination. :)

steffee said:
but I do find it hard to imagine anyone reading both The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. They are exactly the same book.

Oh, I wouldn't agree. Granted there are similarities but then lots of thriller writers, consciously or unconsciously, seem to repeat elements in their books, these two read quite differently anyway, A & D is taut and fast paced and really makes you see Rome, DVC has huge lacunae in it and the descriptions of Paris read as if Dan Brown lifted them wholesale out of a badly translated guide book.

It puzzles me that A & D is supposed to have been written before DVC as it is an infinitely better written book; my husband suspects that they're actually written by two different people, my theory is that Dan Brown wrote DVC first, couldn't get it published so wrote A & D and when he had a modest success with that, adapted DVC slightly and sent it to the publishers. It would explain why there is so little connection between the two books other than Langdon himself.

I dont think we need this kind of posts here..

everyone has his/her opinion about anything.. you cant enforce anyone to like anything..

even if you want to explaine how the authors are.. you shouldnt trespass their career or their writing ...

I think The Da Vinci Code is a lettle bit better than A&D .. i've read The Da Vinci Code before A&D.. and waiting for the 5th one..

Marty.... ;)

I just finished Angels and Demons (I kept putting it down and walking away so it took me awhile) while I didn't really like it, I admit that the whole question of humanity's morals catching up with science was interesting, but..the climax was just...weird. Through most of the book up until
Kohler gets offed
I thought I had the plot figured out and I really didn't see
the Camerlengo
going completely nuts coming. Having already read the DVC I can say A&D was the better of the two, more fun, kept me guessing more.

I haven't come to this board in quite a while, and I couldn't really remember why.

Then I checked out this thread.

Talk about beating a dead horse! OK, we get it. You don't like Dan Brown's books, his research, his writing style. Fine. But maybe there are a few of us out here, who do read more than one book a year, who actually enjoyed his books and would like a place to discuss that with other like minded people without having to wade through a dozen "Dan Brown sucks" posts. Since it seems impossible to keep the Dan Brown bashing to one thread, could we maybe have ONE thread where you DON'T bash him?

As for the original poster, I liked both of them. I read Da Vinci first, not because of all of the other hype, but because a friend recommended it to me (I actually didn't even read it until about a month before the movie was to come out) and enjoyed it so much that I picked up his other books. I was happy to find that Langdon was in a previous book and read Angels & Demons right away. I do think that that was the better of the two, but both were good and worth reading.

Um... So, how is Focault's Pendulum? I thought the Name of the Rose was interesting.
;)

Foucault's Pendulum is one of the best novels I've read - yes, it's a bit talky at times, but the way he manages to both give a historical context that reaches right up into the 20th century and satirise various conspiracy nuts is just brilliant. And the ending... man, the ending.

There are four kinds of people in this world: cretins, fools, morons, and lunatics. (...) The lunatic is all idée fixe, and whatever he comes across confirms his lunacy. You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense, by his flashes of inspiration, and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.

hi all,
i read the two books in the original sequence.
i liked angels and demons.
i think the wider success of davinci code is due to its controversial subject.

Guy in my work (about fifty years old, I'd say) was talking to me about books yesterday because I usually have one on my desk. He's the sort who isn't listening to a word you say and just witters on about himself and you just sit there screaming 'f*&% off' internally but nodding your head and punctuating his monlogue with a disinterested uh huh. He got on to the books he likes, which is shitty thrillers like these, and he said The Da Vinci Codei was a good book but he had to give up on Angels & Demons because it was too heavy going. Again, inside I was laughing and screaming 'twelve year olds read it!'

Guy in my work (about fifty years old, I'd say) was talking to me about books yesterday because I usually have one on my desk. He's the sort who isn't listening to a word you say and just witters on about himself and you just sit there screaming 'f*&% off' internally but nodding your head and punctuating his monlogue with a disinterested uh huh. He got on to the books he likes, which is shitty thrillers like these, and he said The Da Vinci Codei was a good book but he had to give up on Angels & Demons because it was too heavy going. Again, inside I was laughing and screaming 'twelve year olds read it!'

Aw, be nice to him and introduce him to Clive Cussler;) For the record, I've gone through a Cussler stage, and at the time it was fun...

Aw, be nice to him and introduce him to Clive Cussler;) For the record, I've gone through a Cussler stage, and at the time it was fun...

hum hum Dirk Pitt and his famous ship the deep encounter ABC *the fav smiley of Spark,the one with the eyebrow going up an' donw*

A thread where one didn't bash Dan Brown might actually be a neat idea. Then all those who hate Dan Brown could talk among themselves too. :cool:

Back