• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The first sentence in the book you're reading

I suppose that very few casual readers of the New York Herald
of August 13, 1863, observed, in an obscure corner, among the
"Deaths," the announcement: -"Nolan. Died, onboard U. S. Corvette
Levant, Lat. 2° 11’ S. Long. 121° W., on the 11th of May, Philip Nolan.”

The Man Without a Country by Edward Everett Hale

"My brother was already dead!" Clifton Thackeray made some outrageous claims while he was being held in a Fort Collins lockup on suspicion of involvement in a truly bizarre and grizzly murder.

Monster Nation by David Wellington

Chapter One.​

I was down in Surry, on business for Lord Cromwell's office, when the summons came.

Opening lines to the first Matthew Shardlake adventure....Dissolution Time-line circa 1537

"You will rejoice to hear that no disaster has accompinied the commencemet of an enterprise which you have regarded with such evil forebodings."

First line from "Wastelands"

"I want to tell you about the end of the war, the degeneration of mankind, and the death of the Messiah -- an epic story, deserving thousands of pages and a whole shelf of volumes, but you (if there are any "You" to read this) will have to settle for the freeze dried version"

from Wastelands, Stories Of The Apocolypse, an anthology of stories about... you guessed it ... the apocolypse. The line is from the first story, "The End Of The Whole Mess" by Stephen King.

The Amazon Basin, September, 1987

At noon the clouds clinging of the top of Cerro Gordo broke free and scattered.
Far above, in the upper reaches of the forest canopy, Whittlesey could see golden tints of sunlight.

Relic Douglas Peston & Lincoln Child

"I want to tell you about the end of the war, the degeneration of mankind, and the death of the Messiah -- an epic story, deserving thousands of pages and a whole shelf of volumes, but you (if there are any "You" to read this) will have to settle for the freeze dried version"

from Wastelands, Stories Of The Apocolypse, an anthology of stories about... you guessed it ... the apocolypse. The line is from the first story, "The End Of The Whole Mess" by Stephen King.

That sounds good.

When Ramage eventually succeeded in focusing the night-glass on the two distant ships, because it showed an inverted image they were faintly outlined against the stars and looked like bats hanging side by side and upside down from a beam.

The Ramage Touch by Dudley Pope

At sunset hour the forest was still, lonely, sweet with tang of fir and sprunce, blazing in gold and red and green; and the man who glided on under the great trees seemed to blend with the colors and, disappearing, to have become a part of the wild woodland.

The Man of the Forest by Zane Grey

Back