• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The first sentence in the book you're reading

"The essay from which this collection takes its title was my contribution to a seminar about Indian writing in English held in London during the Festival of India in 1982."

Ralph Matheson felt nauseous. So much so, he'd just lost his breakfast, which was now a glistening yellow tiger-stripe frozen solid down the side of Red Osprey's iron-oxide-coloured hull.

Decipher Stel Pavlou

'It was incredibly hot that last summer, even for December; the very air lethargic with it.'

- If You Can Walk, You Can Dance by Marion Molteno

Came a time when the two travellers knew night would catch them,and shelter must be found.

Speaks The Nightbird by Robert McCammon.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way--in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

"Her body is a softened, glowing crystal on a glassblower's pipe . . . "

Once Upon the River Love by Andrei Makine

Came a time when the two travellers knew night would catch them,and shelter must be found.

Speaks The Nightbird by Robert McCammon.

Good call Shadforth. If perchance you like Robert Mc Cammon check out THIS...: The Robert McCammon Web Site

By the way, rumour has it, that McCammon is currently planning as many as 10 books following Matthew Corbett's adventures in early-1700s America
icon_smile.gif

And while your at it look up this book too.
:
awww.robertmccammon.com_images_queen_10_tpb_s.jpg

Good call Shadforth. If perchance you like Robert Mc Cammon check out THIS...: The Robert McCammon Web Site

By the way, rumour has it, that McCammon is currently planning as many as 10 books following Matthew Corbett's adventures in early-1700s America

Hi Steelclaw 32. McCammon was one of my favourite authors years ago when he King&Straub battled for the fantasy/horror crown and 'Swan Song', 'The Wolf's Hour' & 'Boys Life' are brilliant novels. 'Gone South' was excellent too,tho' with that book McCammon was obviously shrugging off his 'genre' jacket! Didn't he struggle at first finding a publisher for 'Speaks The Nightbird'? I read it in just over a week and was spellbound by it! I've checked out McCammon's website before,and looking forward to The Queen of Bedlam,and further Matthew Corbett novels. Is The Queen of Bedlam actually the sequel to Speaks The Nightbird?

Ich erinnere mich noch genau an den Morgen, an dem mich mein Vater zum ersten Mal zum Friedhof der vergessenen Bücher mitnahm.

[Carlos Ruiz Zafón: Der Schatten des Windes]

" BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE, the FBI section that deals with serial murder, is on the bottom floor of the Academy building at Quantico, half-buried in the earth"

The Silence Of the Lambs.

Loving it by the way!

"Her body is a softened, glowing crystal on a glassblower's pipe . . . "

Once Upon the River Love by Andrei Makine

Nice, Peder. This looks like something to investigate if only to see where that first line is going.

Nice, Peder. This looks like something to investigate if only to see where that first line is going.

You took the words out of my mouth.

The Fair God-Lew Wallace-from the Spanish of Fernando De Alva

The Spanish Calendar is simpler then the Aztecan, In fact Christian methods of whatever nature are better than heathen.

shadforth Wrote:
Is The Queen of Bedlam actually the sequel to Speaks The Nightbird?

no. Is the simple answer there Sahd, but is an all newish book from Mc Cammon. And the second in the series of stories concerning Matthew Corbett,
which I've already got, it's been out in paperback now, for months.
:)

One thing was certain, that the WHITE kitten had nothing to do with it:--it was the black kitten's fault entirely.

Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll

"Someone was looking at me, a disturbing sensation when you're dead."

From A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb.

"An unassuming young man was travelling, in midsummer, from his native city of Hamburg to Davos-Platz in the Canton of the Grisons, on a three weeks' visit."

The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann

Back