• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The first sentence in the book you're reading

I'm reading two at the moment.

"My father said he saw him years later playing in a tenth-rate commercial league in a textile town in Carolina, wearing shoes and an assumed name."
~W.P. Kinsella, Shoeless Joe

W.P. Kinsella lives 20 mintues down the highway from the town where I live in a town called Chilliwack, BC. Don't know where he lives exactly, but I do know that he lives there because of the editorial that he writes in The [Vancouver] Province on a weekly basis.

My mother knew every tale that was ever told by the firesides of Erin, and more besides.
Son of the Shadows~Juliet Marillier
The sequel to the book that I just finished, which was very good.

"I told you last night that I might be gone sometime, and you said, Where, and I said, To be with the Good Lord, and you said, Why, and I said, Because I'm old, and you said, I don't think you're old."

by Robinson

"The children are safely tucked in bed; a light breeze blows in through the window; Mom hushes them and begins to tell a sweet tale of … children being abandoned in the woods, lured to a witch’s cottage, there to be fattened and roasted in an oven. Medium-rare."

An Underground Education by Richard Zacks

W.P. Kinsella lives 20 mintues down the highway from the town where I live in a town called Chilliwack, BC. Don't know where he lives exactly, but I do know that he lives there because of the editorial that he writes in The [Vancouver] Province on a weekly basis.
Hah, if you ever somehow happen to see him, tell him that some random guy from an internet forum (me) loves Shoeless Joe even though he can't stand baseball.

"And don't forget," my father would say, as if he expected me at any moment to up and leave to seek my fortune in the wide world, "whatever you learn about people, however bad they turn out, each one of them has a heart, and each one of them was once a tiny baby sucking his mother's milk..."

~Graham Swift, Waterland

In Jine of 1934, two men stand talking in the shadow of the great unfinished monument.

~Jane Urqhart, The Stone Carvers

To the door of an inn in the provincial town of N. there drew up a smart britchka- a light spring-carriage of the sort affected by bachelors, retired lieutenant-colonels, staff-captains, landowners posessed of about a hundred souls, and, in short, all persons who rank as gentlemen of the intermediate category.

~Nikolai Gogol, Dead Souls

Hi.

"And so they killed our Ferdinand", said the charwoman to Mr. Svejk, who had left military service years before, after having been finally certified by an army medical board as an imbecile, and now lived by selling dogs - ugly, mongrel monstrosities whose pedigrees he forged.

The Good Soldier Svejk by Jaroslav Hasek.

"I've been here before, John Hordle suddenly realized, his thumb moving over the leather that covered the grip of his bow." - The Protectors War by S.M. Stirling

Christmas crept into Pine Cove like a creeping Christmas thing: dragging garland, ribbon, and sleigh bells, oozing eggnog, reeking of pine, and threatening festive doom like a cold sore under the mistletoe.
- "The Stupidest Angel" by Christopher Moore

I'm getting in the holiday mood. :D

"The old man looked at the dog looking at him, watching his hands as they threaded the hook through the brown plastic worm to its bright orange tail, the old dog lying on the riverbank in a patch of late afternoon sunlight filtering through the trees".

-From Red by Jack Ketchum.

"Time spent in this imaginary city calls forth a startling array of generosity and patience"
The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters, G.W. Dahlquist

One by one remote islands were left astern,trackless stretches of ocean crossed, storms weathered, and long glassy calms wallowed through.

The Book Of Puka-Puka by Robert Dean Frisbie

Back