• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The first sentence in the book you're reading

"Late in the afternoon of a chilly day in February, two gentlemen were sitting alone over their wine, in a well-furnished dining parlor, in the town of P - - , in Kentucky."

Uncle Tom's Cabin-Harriet Beecher Stowe

"In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since."

Never much of a town for showing off, Gros Ventre waited around one last bend in the road, suppertime lights coming on here and there beneath its roof of trees.

The Eleventh Man by Ivan Doig

Anais Nin-Little Birds

"Manuel and his wife were poor,and when they first looked for an apartment in Paris,they found only two darkrooms below the street level,giving on to a small stifling courtyard."

"Two years after my mother died,my father fell in love with a glamorous blond Ukrainian divorcee.He was eighty-four andshe was thirty-six.She exploded into our lives like a fluffy pink grenade."

To the red country and part of the gray country of Oklahoma, the last rains came gently, and they did not cut the scarred earth.

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

'Twas daid better to light a candle than to curse the dark,but in the town of New York in the summer of 1702 one might do both,for the candles were small and the dark was large.

The Queen Of Bedlam by Robert McCammon

"Everything is in confusion,as though the police have just finished a violent,nervous search."

Ryszard Kapuściński-Shah of Shahs

You are about to begin reading Italo Calvino's new novel, If on a winter's night a traveler.

If On a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino

God grant that the reader, emboldened and having become at present as fierce as what he is reading, find, without loss of bearings, his way, his wild and treacherous passage through the desolate swamps of these sombre, poison-soaked pages; for, unless he should bring to his reading a rigorous logic and a sustained mental effort at least as strong as his distrust, the lethal fumes of this book shall dissolve his soul as water does sugar.

Les Chants de Maldoror, by Lautréamont.

Rajaa Alsanea-Girls of Riyadh

Ladies and Gentlemen:You are invited to join me in one of the most explosive scandals and noisiest,wildest all-night parties around.

"The cradle rocks above an abyss,and common sense tells us that our existence is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness."

Speak,Memory-Vladimir Nabokov

If i may Libra,i think you cought the literary virus.
I notice that your selection has got very sharp those last monthes.:)

It is BOTM ,but you are right Thomas,reading reviews from members and suggestions, I have opened myself into a whole new world of literature then my usual reads.I still enjoy a good historical fiction in between though.:)

I've got a few on the go at the moment:

I attended Roosevelt (the Teddies, Teds, or Roughriders), a public high school in North Seattle, while my friend John William Barry was a student at Lakeside, our city's version of an East Coast private academy like Phillips Exteter or Deerfield.
The Other - David Gutherson

Miss Misery is online again.
Miss Misery - Andy Greenwald

The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense tells us that our existence is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness.

Speak, Memory by Vladimir Nabokov

Back