• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

lies

I recently bought the BBC series at my local Waterstone's.

I've only seen one episode so far, and even though it does seem a bit, well, "dated", it's fun to see all the characters in action, so to speak.

Any of you Brits catch it the first time round?

Yes! I liked it, although I thought Zaphod looked naff (BBC budget, unfortunately). I liked the book animations, the guy who voiced the book (don't know his name) and most of the casting, especially Arthur Dent. In fact, I saw this before I read the books, so I remember it quite fondly, and probably thought it was better than it actually was! :)

I think I'll always have the fondest memories of the books, as that is what I started with. Next came the radio series, and now the TV show.

It's funny how most of the time the thing you read or watched first, is the thing you like best, isn't it?

I remember watching it as a small child and absolutely loving it - but that is all I can remember about it.
The book is on my reading list this year - my brother was reading it at christmas - I tried to pinch it off him but failed miserably.
Guess I'll just have to shake the moths out of my purse and buy it.

Ive got them all on video!!! Fantastic stuff - although yes they look extremely dated but they are still great fun :)

Phil

I have the books, the radio series (on CD) and the television series on VHS. The best thing about it is - they are all different. It's like having three parallel universes. Or something.

When my children were young, we didn't have a TV. So I planned nap time around Hitchhiker on the radio. It wasn't until years later that I saw video version. I still love the animated book - the bugblatter beast going after the vorgon's grandmother... BTW vorgon poetry and peril chromatic sunglasses are just a couple of important additions into my lexicon from this series. Any other offerings from this series?

I heard that in the upcoming film version, Martin Freeman (Tim from The Office) has been cast as Arthur Dent, and a black, American rapper whose name I can't remember has been cast as Ford Prefect!! To my mind, these are both serious bits of mis-casting that do not bode well for the film. What do you think?

I really did like the series, yes Zaphod was awful, as was Marvin, but Arthur Dent was perfect, and Ford wasn't too bad either.

I have heard slight rumours about Jim Carrey being in the new adaptation.

A black rapper as Ford? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. What next, Marvin the paranoid Hillbilly?

But whoever is in it, I will be going to watch it, and if it captures only half of the comedy of the book it will be ten times better than some of the tripe comedies out there.

I love Jim Carrey, but I really don't want him to be in the film. Or any other big star, for that matter. It should be an unknown cast, in my opinion. It should be based around the comedy, and not around the cast!

Cheers, Martin :D

I agree with Martin. They should definitely focus on the comedy rather than the cast....the comedy is what makes the books so good/interesting.

Amen. And Jim Carrey is too physical, while the comedy lies within the words, the text.

Although, he wasn't too bad in The Truman Show, in fact, he was great.

Still, no big cast for me!

Cheers, Martin :D

Problem is, it will have a much better chance of being made with at least one big name. As long as they can all manage british accents, I'm happy.

Bill Nighy from Love Actually along with Martin Freeman is playing SlartiBartfast but I cannot for the life of me remember what character that is could anyone clarify? Thanks

Update:

Martin Freeman
tim.jpg

As Arthur Dent.

Mos Def
mosdef.jpg

As Ford Prefect.

Sam Rockwell
aentimg.msn.com_i_150_ce_jan_SamRockwell_150x207.jpg
As Zaphod Beeblebrox.

And Bill Nighy
stateo9.gif