• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Return Of The King **Spoilers**

Originally posted by Beatrycze
And Arwen doesn't add anything to the story...well, except that Aragorn has another stimulus to fight. As if he wouldn't do it without the threat of death to his beloved...

AH! Arwen was one of my favorite characters!!! She added so much to the movie. I would be dissapointed in the movies if they excluded her!

I thought Return of the King was a good adaptation of the book. Can someone tell me if the Dead Soldiers were in the book. I don't remember them getting into any fights.

I'm currently reading through the trilogy. I saw the movies and thoroughly enjoyed them, and I've always wanted to read the books, so I started to read them. I've gotten through the first book and I'm almost through the second book. I personally think that the movies are very enjoyable and while I think the books add something, they are more tedious than the movies. I enjoyed the movies more than the books, although the books do contain more details then the movies. But, my personnal opinion is that the books are very boring and tedious.

FINALLY went to see this movie!! I was blown away by the whole thing, loved it from start to finish!! :p

Although yes, it could have benefitted from the bigger break between the two battles that you see in the book - i would presume that the Eowyn/Faramir story will be picked up in the DVD Extended Cut (which is meant to be well over four hours!!)

Yay!! Roll on next November!!

Phil

PS: Who cant wait for King Kong!
PPS: Didnt see the big deal people were making about Arwen, she was only in it for five minutes! :)

Originally posted by phil_t
PPS: Didnt see the big deal people were making about Arwen, she was only in it for five minutes! :)

It was still four minutes fifty seconds too long.:D

Yes, she is.
She was portrayed in the film as totally paper character. I see the point in the book's not talking much about her, as she is to represent the ideal...but in the film it didn't come out.

I don't know why, but I have to say that Arwen sometimes irritated me quite a lot in the films. I think she was the only person to be seriously miscast aswell.

Arwen herself doesn't annoy me so much as the rubbish which unnecessarily accompanies her: saving Frodo with sword, "horse kissing" and her being somehow "attached" to the ring...It's so ridiculous!

Liv Tyler looked the part certainly, but Arwen was one of the few characters that didn't seem to come alive in the movie. Of course, Tolkien didn't give them much to work with on the character, either.

Between the first two books, Arwen is mentioned once, when the Fellowship first enters Rivendell. So, if the character has no personality, that's why

if the movie was too long it was only due to Arwen.absolute waste of time getting her in the second and third movie.Well, i guess putting things in adaptations that arent a part of the original book does infuriate me:D
P S : the movie released in India only two days ago.So i have been getting mad reading your discussions and waiting for the film to release.Finally i can take part in this discussion:D

I agree with you, Piedro, that Arwen was a waste of time. I'd rather have Aragorn marrying Eowyn.

AUGH! Eowyn with Aragorn? no! hehe...They might not have really focused much on Arwen in the movies, but she and Aragorn had such a connection...Liv Tyler is an amazing actress, and I think she did a good job, even though her character might not have been developed as well as the others.

by the way the elves n gandalf n frodo..where exactly do they go?i read the book ages ago and faintly remember something like the 'grey havens' now what is that?

lol i remember thinking it was 'heavens' then

The Grey Havens are an elven kingdom of Middle-Earth, from which the Elves sail to the 'West' to die of live forever or whatever

Phil

Yeah. "Man of mystery". Those were the words I was thinking of, to describe you.

No, really!

Cheers, Martin :D

Back