• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Return Of The King **Spoilers**

That's a very valid point, Idun. You are absolutely right in saying that the battle-scenes are more elaborate and detailed in the films. I hadn't looked at it in that way.

However, when considering the above, it's even harder for you to dislike these films. You claim the films aren't complete, they omitted (in your opinion) crucial information. However, as you yourself pointed out, they also added scenes (in these battle-sequences, for instance), so they should receive some credit for that!

Cheers, Martin :D

The movies also added more than just the fellowship point of view. For example, in the first movie, there is a scence with Saruman and the orcs talking about ripping down trees that have been there for ages. In the book, there is no such scene, as the books revolve around the fellowship. The movies provide some extra parts, while the books include other scenes and information.

Martin, I don't dislike ROTK. As I stated before, it was the ending what disappointed me, although I can't indicate precisely from which moment I started to feel unsatisfied.

If I thought that it was totally miserable, I wouldn't regard some parts as being improvements on the book.

I do think that Peter Jackson did an incredibly good job with all three films. It is rare to make an adaptation of a masterpiece and win fans' approval and admiration.

Nonetheless, with all respect for Jackson's work, I didn't change my mind about my previous "against" points. :p They are still topical.

I've got a question considering a part of the film in which in Minas Tirith Gandalf and Pippin talk about death. Gandalf's description of death sounds like describing sailing to Valinor, doesn't it? Did anyone else notice it?

Yes, I noticed that as well. But still a nice way to think about it even if it doesn't involve literally sailing away.

There are two different opinions about what does the ending of the LOTR mean. Some interpretors say that Frodo's sailing from Grey Havens symbolises his death, because in most old cultures sailing represents dying (Avalon, Happy Isles, vikings' kings' funerals). Others state that the elves do not die, and Valinor is not a land of the dead (Tolkien himself wrote this in one of his letters). I wonder if Gandalf and Pippin's conversation is the director's voice in favour of Frodo's death.

I don't know for sure if this is in the book or not, but in the second movie, Elrond says that the quest will kill Frodo. However, since Frodo does not die, does Elrond mean Frodo's sailing to the new land?

I don't know for sure if this is in the book or not, but in the second movie, Elrond says that the quest will kill Frodo. However, since Frodo does not die, does Elrond mean Frodo's sailing to the new land?

Originally posted by Nemo
I don't know for sure if this is in the book or not, but in the second movie, Elrond says that the quest will kill Frodo.

Along with the conversation in the third movie, it would then strongly suggest that the film actually ends with Frodo's death, symbolised by his leaving Middle Earth.

And what about the Elves? They also leave Middle Earth, yet they are supposed to be immortal. Do they die as well when they leave Middle Earth?

Well, no. The Elves usually don't die (usually, because they are some exceptions), neither in the Middle Earth, nor anywhere else. By sailing over the Sea they come back to Valinor, the place from which they originally came to the Middle Earth, and where some of their kind still live. What's more, it's said somewhere in the book (but probably in Silmarillion rather than in LOTR) that death is a priviledge given to the people of the Middle Earth, and nobody knows what happens to them after they die.

Elves, men and Dwarves all 'woke up' in Middle Earth, though the elves were first. Elves went to Valinor to escape Melkor--to whom Sauron was but a boot licking lackey--originally, then some returned to Middle Earth with Feanor to regain the Silmarillion. Battles and sundry other adventures ensued not the least of which was the Beren's successful adventure to get the Sil as Luthien's bridepiece. (I think) All of which is comparable to the romance between Aragorn and Arwen at various places through the books and even the movie.

Was anyone but me disappointed that the movie showed Sam and Frodo breaking faith on the way up to Cirith Ungol?

Back