• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Worst of 2005

Peder said:
The Alchemist
The Alchemist
The Alchemist

Wow! That bad Peder? Stewart had it on his list, too. And I was thinking about reading it soon. Even suggested it for a Book Club I belong to. I might re-think that.

Not quite sure what Siskel & Ebert meant by "Two thumbs way up!" though, seems a rather unfortunate choice of phrase...

Still, laughing!

I'm also wondering where these two get their hair dyed! :eek:

scooter13 said:
Wow! That bad Peder? Stewart had it on his list, too. And I was thinking about reading it soon. Even suggested it for a Book Club I belong to. I might re-think that.

Everything you need to know about The Alchemist is here.

Shade said:
Everything you need to know about The Alchemist is here.

Everything? Really? From what I read, that thread contained a handful of insightful posts and a C&P review from a newspaper; all lost in a sea of ‘aren’t we so much smarter than the dumbos for being able to see through this crap’ posturing.

Never read 'The Alchemist' btw, doesn't come across as my cup of tea.

Magic by Tami Hoag. The worst book I have ever read - or partially read. Reads like friggin' Mills & Boon. :rolleyes: Tossed it after a couple of chapters.

There have been a few others I couldn't get into, but I think that's more because I wasn't in the mood, rather than them being horrendous books.

Everything is Illuminated after the first 1/3 perhaps.

Oh yeah, talking about crap did anyone in the UK catch QI tonight; Stephen Fry's description of The Da Vinci Code; "Loose stool water and arse gravy of the worst kind."
I think Stewart would have approved;)

I started The Da Vinci Code with an open mind but didn't get too far-I couldn't take all the flashbacks, which were pretty long but the reader is under the impression they took only a couple of seconds in real time. I can take a couple of flashbacks per book, but not every other page. It was what I call "screenplay ready"-and I prefer my books to be books first.

Miss Shelf said:
I started The Da Vinci Code with an open mind but didn't get too far-I couldn't take all the flashbacks, which were pretty long but the reader is under the impression they took only a couple of seconds in real time. I can take a couple of flashbacks per book, but not every other page. It was what I call "screenplay ready"-and I prefer my books to be books first.

Yep, I agree with you, I've felt the same.
Plus, Mr. Brown has a queer sense of time: when I tried to imagine how a person could do all these things in the time allocated for that by the author, it was always impossible. Maybe I am too lazy, though...

I am seriously going to check this book out at the library and read it. I've heard so much stuff about it here that I need to find out for myself how good or awful it truly is.

I thought the Da Vinci Code was ok. It was the first (and only) Dan Brown I have read, so didn't notice any formula. I do agree that it was written to go straight to screen, but it was a page-turner alright and I learned a lot, aside from the "research" that has been criticised so widely.

F'rinstance, the meaning of phi.

;)

Back