• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Worst of 2005

My worst reads this year (in no particular order)
Haunted - Palahniuk (probably not as bad as just disappointing)
Magic Street - Orson Scott Card
Big Bad Wolf / London Bridges - Patterson (if it weren't for Baldacci's Split Second, this would be the worst payoff to a thriller I've ever read)
Harvesting Minds - Fox (A great example of what happens when someone wants to prove a point and write a book without putting much effort into researching the point or the writing of the book)

SFG75 said:
I am seriously going to check this book out at the library and read it. I've heard so much stuff about it here that I need to find out for myself how good or awful it truly is.
SFG
Did that, done that!
Terrible.
Peder

PS J'ever get the feeling before the end of a who-dun-it that you finally don't care who-dun-it? Well, this one dunnit.

Another loser from 2005: Talthea by Anne Perry. It read like a thinly veiled religious tract. That might have been ok, if the author had been honest and added a note at the back about her affiliation, or if she'd been more subtle. As a fantasy novel it was dull and quirky and I'm glad I got it from the library and didn't spend any money on it.

I think I really only had two books I bought this year that I was truely disappointed in, but what a disappointment they were!!

Little Masters: by Damien Wilkins.
I know this book must've had some point to it somewhere, however I didn't find it.

The Music of the Spheres: by Elizabeth Redfern
This book started off slow, got a little better, then just got weird, I wanted to like it, but it really took a lot for me to finish it.

I can't remember if I read Yellow Dog by Martin Amis this year or not. I think it was this year. Anyway, I can't let another chance to let everyone know that it's shit pass by...

It's shit.

SFG75 said:
I am seriously going to check this book out at the library and read it. I've heard so much stuff about it here that I need to find out for myself how good or awful it truly is.
Me too. I haven't read it but I've got to check it out. I'll make sure to borrow it, though, so as to not add to Mr Brown's sales totals any more (I can see Stewart knodding encouragingly). I know my partner's mother has a copy - she was crowing about it last time I was there. I really did attempt to get past the third page but it just didn't suck me in at all. Maybe this christmas...

Kookamoor said:
Me too. I haven't read it but I've got to check it out. I'll make sure to borrow it, though, so as to not add to Mr Brown's sales totals any more (I can see Stewart knodding encouragingly). I know my partner's mother has a copy - she was crowing about it last time I was there. I really did attempt to get past the third page but it just didn't suck me in at all. Maybe this christmas...

Oh it DOES create a vaccum alright;) I agree, let the library foot the bill, save your $$ for socks or something..

WoundedThorns said:
i find it kind of amusing that most people are posting really popular books.

To me, you have to have some standard for the worst book of '05. To me, one of those standards would be a book that doesn't sell well. You know, something that doesn't live up to rave reviews or flops ungloriously on it's opening day.

in no order

Postcards from No Man's Land - Aidan Chambers
Little Children - Tom Perotta
All American Boy - William J Mann

I think that's about it, but I *hated* Little Children.

The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loanna by Umberto Eco. Could NOT get into it. hated it. Actually HATED it.
Oh, and a Bill Bryson book. I'd loved a few previous, but picked one up that I just HATED. I actually through it down, and said, I can't take it anymore. This is TO DULL.

I also found this very popular Bryson book very dull. I think I got three quarters of the way through and started something else which is unusual for me.

Prairie_Girl, what was the Bryson book that was so dull? :eek: I've loved all of his that I've read, so far. I just love his sense of humour.

This is difficult for me, but not because I've read a bunch of bad books and can't decide. It is because when I am reading a book I don't like, I usually put it down and reach for the next one. And since I write down only the books I have finished, not the books I start, I have a little work to do.

Okay, I have one:
Barbara Hambly- Bride of the Rat God. It read like a "B" movie . A really bad one. After a few chapters, I just quit.:rolleyes:

Prey-Michael Crichton (why the hell did I think I'd enjoy this??????)
The **** Up- Arthur Nersessian (wannabe gen-x piece of shiii...)

....and yes, 2005 was the year I read Pride and Prejudice....*shivers with disgust* :mad:

Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather and Blindness by Jose Saramago, come to mind. I couldn't stand either of them. I disliked Running With Scissors by Augusten Burrough, the Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers & Cavedweller by Dorothy Allison, too.

I didn't read anything in 2005 that I truly hated. There were a few things I didn't finish, but I think that was more to do with mood and distraction: Snow Falling on Cedars was one, and the other was a book by Isabelle Allende. I plan to try them both again, though. Oh, and I once again glanced at Mr Brown's DaVinci Code over the christmas break, and as curious as I might be to be able to comment on the hullabaloo about this book, once again I just wasn't interested within the first three pages.

Kookamoor said:
I didn't read anything in 2005 that I truly hated. There were a few things I didn't finish, but I think that was more to do with mood and distraction: Snow Falling on Cedars was one, and the other was a book by Isabelle Allende. I plan to try them both again, though.

I really liked Snow Falling On Cedars but everyone else in my library book club hated it. I thought it was very discriptive and enthralling but they thought it was soporific.

Back