• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Virginia Woolf

StillILearn said:
I lingered over To the Lighthouse this time. I'm tempted to read a biography of her now if anyone has any suggestions?

In it is one of the only two times I've read reference to this flower

asphodel
SIL,
No suggestions. Quentin Bell's is the old standard, and then there is a newer one (by Hermione Lee?). Don't know enough about either to suggest one over the other. As for asphodel, that makes two of us. And you are 'way ahead of me on Lighthouse. I have only just read Mrs. Dalloway.
Peder

So, I've read and seen The Hours and I've seen Mrs Dalloway and I've read To the Lighthouse, and now I want to reread Mrs Dalloway and see To the Lighthouse (with Richard Brannagh, of course).

And then I will want to read at least one biography of VW. And then maybe I'll be ready to see Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf? :D

All in this lifetime, preferably.

StillILearn said:
So, I've read and seen The Hours and I've seen Mrs Dalloway and I've read To the Lighthouse, and now I want to reread Mrs Dalloway and see To the Lighthouse (with Richard Brannagh, of course).

And then I will want to read at least one biography of VW. And then maybe I'll be ready to see Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf? :D

SIL.
Sounds like you have been busy in an enviable way!
Just checked the Lee bio at the local bookstore. It is MAMMOTH, and may take you a lifetime. However it looks complete. (What else?)
Peder
neophyte

StillILearn said:
Mrs Dalloway and To the Lighthouse were made into films? I have been missing out..must get right on this.

StillILearn said:

LOL SIL!
I've got 'em, but they are in my TBR and TBS stacks. :eek: Except for reading Mrs. Dalloway.
And btw, the Bell bio is the one I have too, I found it quite by accident at a Library Sale several months ago, even before I bought Mrs. Dalloway....I think. My time continium is warped at the moment. :rolleyes: :D

Hi SIL, you've renewed my faith in book discussion online! I was getting just the teensiest weensiest bored with book discussions that revolved around how many books had been read, what had been bought, where when it was read etc: like it's a competition or something. A little bit more in depth - characterization, style, plot,and so forth - investigation about a novel is more like it. I must say Mrs Dalloway seems to be a favourite Woolf novel for disection. Thank you for raising the tone. Charity

Charity said:
Hi SIL, you've renewed my faith in book discussion online! I was getting just the teensiest weensiest bored with book discussions that revolved around how many books had been read, what had been bought, where when it was read etc: like it's a competition or something. A little bit more in depth - characterization, style, plot,and so forth - investigation about a novel is more like it. I must say Mrs Dalloway seems to be a favourite Woolf novel for disection. Thank you for raising the tone. Charity

Haha! That is so funny for you to point out. I think Stewart would win all the contests anyway. I will admit to the world that I have only purchased 6 books (that aren't textbooks) this year, and they aren't even famous. I can't believe how people can afford to buy so many books..and where do they put them?!? I won't buy a book unless I've already read it and am in love with it...and people here seem to do it the other way around. (What if you didn't like the book? Then you have some lame story on your shelf that you wasted lots of money on.) But then again..I lurk around a lot at the library. I will also admit that getting a library card was the second thing I did after unpacking my car when I moved here. Perhaps the library is a less cool place to be than at a book shop? Even so..I am content to come in at last place:)

Charity said:
I was getting just the teensiest weensiest bored with book discussions that revolved around how many books had been read, what had been bought, where when it was read etc: like it's a competition or something.
Actually, some people happen to be interested in what others have read and/or purchased; with posts like yours being the bane of the forum.

A little bit more in depth - characterization, style, plot,and so forth - investigation about a novel is more like it.
Then why don't you offer something insightful as regards style and plot etc? Instead of choosing to criticise other members, being a new member here yourself.

Apologies, Still and others, for going off-topic.

I think we all post (and reply to posts) about the things that interest us -- and there seems to be room enough for all of them here. The essence of Ell's words continue to echo in my ears -- er, eyes:

Make the kinds of post you wish to read.

Charity is just getting her feet beneath her here; maybe if we play our cards right we can make her read Nabokov with us, and a little bit of Charity never hurt anybody.

Welcome to B&R, Charity! :D

You know while it is nice to know who is reading what, and how many read, and how many bought, it has seemed to be some sort of subliminal competition. And perhaps might give some the figits after a while.

OTOH, everyone that come to this forum hopefully is here to read and discuss books. And that has been a bit lacking as far as I can tell. So here is hopeing that more will enter into discussions, and not debates.

Oh, and btw, welcome Charity. :)

And Hi there Steffee, long time, no see. :D

Ah, she is to me the mistress of the semi-colon...:)

My introduction to Woolfe started with The Waves. In retrospect, I really don't think that that was a smart move coz it put me off Woolfe for quite some time before I tried venturing once again with Orlando. As strange as it was, I found it really enjoyable and moved onto Mrs Dalloway.

Years later, I read The Hours and was quite disappointed. Not only did Cunningham's prose fall dreadfully short, but I also couldn't appreciate what he was trying to do with the characters. It wasn't till the movie came out that I went back to Mrs Dalloway and read it in a whole new light. It provided insights to Woolfe that allowed me to appreciate Mrs Dalloway AND Orlando at a whole new level.

I'm thinking of attempting The Waves again. However, I have to admit that I am still intimidated. Should I forget The Waves and just read To the Lighthouse instead?

I started reading 'To The Lighthouse' the other day. Admittedly, I've only read the first few pages, but so far it seems completely incoherent. I haven't a clue what she's talking about and she just seems like a very bad writer, with little punctuation and far far too long sentences.

Is it just a bad start or shall I give up reading it now? I'm guessing it must be an acquired style as the book is listed in the top 100 books of all time. I'm not sure I'll be able to get used to that style though.

I've only read the first few pages [of To The Lighthouse], but so far it seems completely incoherent.

Ah, that sounds like the Woolfie I know and don't particularly love. Saying that, I've only attempted Mrs Dalloway which, after a patch of stubborn reading, I decided to put down. I've peaked at The Waves, which I feel is going to take a lot (and I mean a lot) of work, and I own a copy of To The Lighthouse, which I haven't even looked at.

You would probably be best to start with her earliest fiction, which will no doubt be easier to read than her latter semi-colon nightmares.

I'll persevere with To The Lighthouse I think. I only chose it as it was a top 100 title and I came across it in a charity shop. Also, coincidentally, we're going on holiday to Skye at Easter so I thought it might put me in the mood. I'll end up associating Skye with bad grammar and nonsense!

Back