• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Wandering books. Does this happen to you?

direstraits said:
My designated bookmark bank has bookmarks I don't even remember getting.

ds
I have one, too, but you see, with an active two-year-old in the house, mine is going bankrupt.:eek:

hah, that reminds me of a bunch of my books lying on my floor this morning.. my cats dropped them from my book shelf overnight

my sister likes to keep all things neat. if i can't find my book, she probably placed it somewhere. drives me crazy at times since i can't find the book when she arranges my things too well

It happened again!. :eek: The other night, I was reading and then put my book on the coffee table. Last night, I couldn't find the darn thing for the life of me. I looked everywhere!. I went out in the snow and looked in the car, I dug through everything, even organized things that I should've taken care of months ago. The book turned up today, the wife found it under the couch as she was prepping to vaccuum. Evidently, the legs retracted into the book upon seeing that it was about to be picked up.:p

We've had a lot of wandering books around here in the last couple of weeks. On a Thursday morning, my hubby took a box with two pies in it to work, and on top of that box, he'd placed the book he was taking to work: Enigma by Robert Harris. Later that night, when he wanted to read after dinner, he couldn't remember where he'd placed the book and searched all over, getting angrier as he looked. I told him I thought he'd taken it out with the pies, and he was emphatic that he'd not taken it to work. He had Fri, Sat, and Sun. off, and so he fumed a little the whole weekend...Monday afternoon when he returned from work, I saw he had that book in his hand, and when I asked...he laughed and said he wasn't gonna tell me!"

Then yesterday, I had to take my 12 year old to get his eyes checked, and naturally I wanted one of the the two books I'm reading to a go along for the ride..Both had been on my bed that morning, but when I left, they were nowhere to be found. I suspected, and later verified that my eldest dd, the history major, had taken Lies Across America to work with her, and Broken April had been with my hubby at his job all day. I noticed he took it again today..I try not to say too much to my dh when he does that since he doesn't have the time to read that I do. Besides, it's a little like having a very exclusive book club right in my own home:D

LOL-great story abecedarian!.:D I left a book on an airplane and after we landed, I realized it.......after walking about half the distance of a football field from the boarding area. Of course, I had to gooooooooo back and retrieve it. Luckily, the flight attendant was a bit tardy in wrapping things up before locking the plane doors for the night.

Being the only reader in the family books tend to stay where put but i have had books disappear at work, if i leave it there after my shift you can guarantee it will not be there when i go back.
Annoying, especially when it goes missing when i've only got a few pages to finish.

cabrasopa said:
Being the only reader in the family books tend to stay where put but i have had books disappear at work, if i leave it there after my shift you can guarantee it will not be there when i go back.
Annoying, especially when it goes missing when i've only got a few pages to finish.

I've had that happen too-you leave a book in a house where no one reads and it seems as if they remind you where it is as if you've just dropped off a batch of plague or something.:rolleyes:

I don't tend to take my books out of my room unless they're going to be with me (i.e school or a trip to the living room) but I also have a problem with bookmarks. My last bookmark was an expired money off card, and as I finished one book and took it to my shelves to put it away, nice and neatly, I returned with another book and it was gone! Even if I lie down in bed with my book for five minutes the bookmark tends to escape me. I don't know what it is about them...

I don't have that problem much even though my whole family is readers. The only problem is when my dad takes my books to work. He works about three hundred miles away and stays there thw whole week. So when he "borrows" my books it really cuts into my reading time.

The little gnomes have disappeared, they evidently are plaguing someone else-I can feel it.

SFG75 said:
The little gnomes have disappeared, they evidently are plaguing someone else-I can feel it.

They haven't disappeared, oh over-confident one..they are merely bidding their time;) Just wait until your boys are independent readers..

I occasionally misplace my own book ... UNLESS that book is by Carl Hiaasen, Dave Barry, Douglas Adams, you get the idea ... the kids can't keep their hands off those, the fiendish little book-stealers!

bren said:
I occasionally misplace my own book ... UNLESS that book is by Carl Hiaasen, Dave Barry, Douglas Adams, you get the idea ... the kids can't keep their hands off those, the fiendish little book-stealers!

LOL They must be related to my kids! I've noticed lots of my books in the personal collections of various children, and when I retrieve them, the snots act like I'M the poacher:p

Kids steal Dave Berry, adults take George Carlin. Then, I remember that it was I who read them and failed to place them in their proper area.:eek:

SFG75 said:
Kids steal Dave Berry, adults take George Carlin. Then, I remember that it was I who read them and failed to place them in their proper area.:eek:

Yup, having suffered human-hoof and mouth disease on numerous occasions, I try to look around for my book myself, quietly, before saying anything to the kids or my husband. If I can't find it THEN I get to ask, maybe even in an exasperated tone..too many times I've accused, then find I'd set the book in a wierd location all by myself:eek: Once I'd looked and looked, asked around, and even called a neighbor to see if I'd loaned this book to her..soon after I bought another copy, a different friend I'd forgotten all about, returned the original. A mind is a terrible thing to lose:eek:

Well, it happened again. This time my dh just smiled very sweetly and asked for A Prayer for Owen Meany. That was Sunday. Today he took it to work, after joking that he'd take Travels With Charley too since I said I liked it so much. He didn't...he's not that mean:) Actually, this time it was a blessing in disguise. I don't know how many times I've glanced at Travels With Charley, and just kept digging for something 'good' to read. I'm enjoying Steinbeck's travelog very much. I even like the fact that his trip took place while I was still in the womb.

I'm glad to say I have pretty obedient little books, who never go wandering alone and never accept rides from strangers. If I'm gone for a while, I know they'll still be there when I come back. They usually know how to take care of themselves, and I can even leave them alone all morning that they won't starve or hurt themselves. I don't know if this makes me a neglecting bookreader, but I do have a lot of confidence in my babies.

My books haven't decided to wander for a long time. I'm still finding homes for the newest ones on the shelves. There are still a few that have been forced to lay on the toy chest until I can find adequate shelf space for them. The encyclopedia on Ancient Egypt will be the most difficult since it is so large and heavy, but it knows that I would be a nervous wreck if it went off on its own.

Back