• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Want more??

Wabbit

Hi there :)

which novelists have you gotten books by and think to yourself, I must try MORE from this author!

For me, at the moment:

Gabriel Garcia Marquez
( I won't stop till I have them all )

Christopher Priest
( read "The Prestige" and it was so fabby )

Thomas Wharton
( Salamander: This was wonderful, has anybody read it?)

Poul Anderson
( I read The Broken Sword and was so impressed )

Dan Brown
( YES Jell-O... DAN BROWN! :p )

Iain Banks
( I have read Song of stone, Wasp Factory and The Bridge and must get more of his non-sf works! )

What's on your list?

Regards
SillyWabbit

Iain (M.) Banks - SF and all, he can just do no wrong for me

Michael Marshall (Smith) - His imagination in SF is second to none, and his thrillers are truly thrilling to read.

Chuck Palahniuk - I just enjoy his books.

James Herbert - The Fog was very good, not at all what I was expecting so I'll have to try something else.

David Gemmel - Such action, and hopefully he can end his other novels better than he did Legend.

Neil Gaiman - Good Omens, excellent. Stardust, magical. Need more.

AH! Neil Gaiman! I add him to my list! How could I forget him? Yes, he is great.

I have read quite a few of Michael Marshall Smith's books. I loved Only Foward, Spare Parts. I kinda liked One of Us and Spare Parts. I'm not sure I like him enough to get more but his thrillers DO sound very interesting!

I have not tried any Palahniuk but want to try. What one would you recommend to start with?

James Herbert. Some good, some bad.

David Gemmel, can't stand him! ( Puke puke noise ) lol

Regards
SillyWabbit

igkuk7 said:
James Herbert - The Fog was very good, not at all what I was expecting so I'll have to try something else.

I think his best novel is Haunted; one of the few books I've read more than once. His Once... has been sitting on my shelf since it came out in hardback - maybe I should read it.

The Straw Men by Michael Marshall is the only one of his thrillers I have read. But it was awesome. What it lacked in the innovation it made up for with everything else. Story, characters, pacing, just everything. He is one of the most readable authors I've ever read.

Palahniuk. I think his best is Survivor, but it was Choke that I read first and really surprised me. So I'd say Choke.

Each to his own Wabbit. And I have only read one Gemmel, so who knows. Perhaps he'll go rubbish. Have to wait and see.

Mile, I'll keep an eye open, maybe even two eyes, for Haunted.

I have read quite a few of Michael Marshall Smith's books. I loved Only Foward, Spare Parts.
You mean Spares, right?

The Straw Men by Michael Marshall is the only one of his thrillers I have read.
Well, it's the only one he's written so far, or is the sequal already out?

Cheers, Martin :D

Ahh, Michael Marshall Smith. Only Forward was a fantastic book, one of my favourites. Bought it years ago before the advent of those disgusting neon covers. Read it several times. Then I read Spares and realised he's just a one trick pony. It's exactly the same book, only the names have changed. I read his other sci fi books, and he never managed to recapture the glory of Only Forward, so now I just pretend to myself that that's the only book he's ever written, which means I can carry on enjoying it as one of my favourite boks without getting bogged down in my hatred of the rest.

I think I've already collected the works of most of the authors I'm obsessed with. I'm in that horrible place where I'm waiting for them to catch up with me. So I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for George R R Martin to finish up A Song of Ice and Fire, waiting for anything new by Iain M Banks and Sherri S Tepper. China Mieville has a new one coming out soon, and maybe Alaistair Reynolds' new one will eventually come out in a smaller, and cheaper format, and then I'll be in book heaven. Plus, all the Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency books, there's always a new one in the shop whenever I pop in. He shooting them out quicker than diarrhea, and I know they're a bit sad to be addicted to, but I just can't help myself.

SillyWabbit said:
which novelists have you gotten books by and think to yourself, I must try MORE from this author!

After reading Foucault's Pendulum, I bought the rest of Umberto Eco's novels. I've also bought his essay collections. Now all I've got to do is buy his academic writings such as works on translation, semiotics, and Thomas Aquinas.

I suppose others that I'll want to complete collections of are Anne Rice (the non-vampire stuff as that's complete), Italo Calvino, Jorge Luis Borges, Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

I've had Arturo Perez-Reverte recommended to me. If I like him, I'll probably buy his back catalogue. Thinking about buying the rest of Haruki Murakami's too.

Martin said:
You mean Spares, right?

Well, it's the only one he's written so far, or is the sequal already out?

YEAH! I mean Spares!

And I saw his follow on for Straw Man on Amazon. I don't know if it is actually out or not ( Can't be bothered to go look lol ) but he has written another :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

Mile-O-Phile said:
[I think his best novel is Haunted; one of the few books I've read more than once. His Once... has been sitting on my shelf since it came out in hardback - maybe I should read it.
Jell-O! :)

I too have Once on my bookshelf. It was not calling me for what seemed a life time. Finally I picked it up and started reading it. After 2 chapters, I put it back down. I might try it again some time...

The Haunting was good and so was the fog.

Regards
SillyWabbit

Jon Courtney Grimwood

Christopher Brookmyre

Dan Brown ;)

Matthew Reilly - only, i have read them all now, and am patiently awaiting another .... okay, maybe not so patiently :)

Phil

I've gone through a few of these "obsessive" phases where I try to track down the books of particular authors. Here are a few of the names:

Charles Bukowski, Italo Calvino, John Hawkes, Robbe-Grillet, Jorge Luis Borges, Rex Stout, Haruki Murakami, David McCullough, John Hawkes, Harry Crews, Donald Sobol, etc. . . . You get the idea.

Dan Brown. I've just bought Angels & Demons today :)
Clive Cussler - have now read nearly all of his stuff
Andy McNab

tricky!

my tastes have changed over the ages but if i lost my entire collection my priorities would be:

Michael Moorcock, Richard Brautigan, Italo Calvino

i know i'm forgetting heaps of books though

ksky

Martin said:
Many many Dan Brown fans here.

Funny, that!

Yep, add me to that list. I have all his hardbacks.

Has anyone else read Peace Like a River by Leif Enger? I loved it and can't wait to see what else he can do.

I was on a Anne Rice kick for quite awhile but the Vampires started to suck.(I know, I hate myself for that too) :D

A major part of why I sought out a forum like this was to educate myself on what others were reading and get idea on what to add to my reading list. I'm actually excited about some of the new authors that I've gotten like Banks & Danielewski but I've yet to read them so can't give an opinion yet. Another new author for me is Chuck Palahniuk. I ordered The Fight Club a few days ago and am eager to check him out too (I didn't see the movie so that won't spoil it for me.)

All in all, I can't wait to devour these books so I can play with the other big kids :D

RaVeN

Has anyone else read Peace Like a River by Leif Enger?

Raven, I read Peace Like a River a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. All the characters, the dad, Rueben and Swede, they all rang true to me. I loved the way he blended the spiritual aspect into the story. I can't wait to see what he does next either.

Btw- after I read it, I then read The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint. Although, not as good, it was a good choice of book to follow up with. Maybe I'm just weird, but when I read a great book (like Enger's) I almost don't want my next book to be as great. I prefer just a fun, nice read to "cleanse the palate" before I move on to (hopefully) another great one. God, I'm so screwed up... :eek:

RaVeN said:
Yep, add me to that list. I have all his hardbacks.

Has anyone else read Peace Like a River by Leif Enger? I loved it and can't wait to see what else he can do.

I was on a Anne Rice kick for quite awhile but the Vampires started to suck.(I know, I hate myself for that too) :D

A major part of why I sought out a forum like this was to educate myself on what others were reading and get idea on what to add to my reading list. I'm actually excited about some of the new authors that I've gotten like Banks & Danielewski but I've yet to read them so can't give an opinion yet. Another new author for me is Chuck Palahniuk. I ordered The Fight Club a few days ago and am eager to check him out too (I didn't see the movie so that won't spoil it for me.)

All in all, I can't wait to devour these books so I can play with the other big kids :D

RaVeN

Same here! I wantt o check out chuck, so I too, may have to order fight club or maybe choke. I have a friend that likes those Anne rice vampire books. I have never tired them myself! Raven, try Gabriel Garcia Marquez! You wont't regret it. The two I have read so far 100 years of solitude and Of love and other demons are so wonderful. Just from that he is now my fave author :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

Back