• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What crime/horror/thriller/mystery books have you read and found appealing?

Robertquan

Yet another question for me to complete another story.
So, any? Please, your help is deeply appreciated.
And, please state the author with the title.

I usually read historical mysteries. I was addicted to John Maddox Roberts' SPQR novels; those are good if you're looking for brisk, easy reads. I also recommend Ariana Franklin's Mistress of the Art of Death series. Caleb Carr's The Alienist was probably one of the best books I've ever read.
As for present-day novels, I liked The Poet by Michael Connolly and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon.

I don’t normally read crime or thriller/mystery books, but I was surprised how much I liked both Cross Country by James Patterson and Worst Case by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge, both of which came free with my e-reader or I would never have read them. I’ve now impulse bought a couple of paperbacks from the same authors/series from a bargain bin; something I would never have gone for before reading the two free books; so for me that is the highest accolade you can hope for in a book.

A friend recommended I try the Fool's Guild series by Alan Gordon, that begins with Thirteenth Night.(Thanks Pontalba!) I'm enjoying the series very much and would recommend it to anyone.

Some other series I like are Virginia Lanier's Bloodhound series snd the Ballad Series by Sharyn McCrumb that begins with If Ever I Return Pretty Peggy-O. In my opinion, that title is not the best in the series and I'm glad it wasn't the first one I read..I might have skipped the series altogether and miss out on the likes of The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter, The Rosewood Casket, She Walks These Hills, and The Ballad Of Frankie Silver. That would have been my loss.
You might also look into the Anna Pigeon series by Nevada Barr. There are some titles I didn't care for, but most are pretty good. Blood Lure, Deep South, Endangered Species, and Blind Descent are my favorites.

I'm a big murder mystery reader. Like the above poster, I love The Poet by Michael Connolly. The other books I really like by Michael Connly are Echo Park and Blood Work. I've read some of Robert Crais and have to say L.A Requiem is by far his best work. Jeffery Deaver's work featuring Lincoln Rhyme are really good too. I believe his earlier work is the best.

I am a solid Harlan Coben fan, and I loved Tell No One and Gone For Good, I am not crazy about his non-myron novels after that

Michael Conelly is a good writer, in fact, i hate that the lincoln lawyer is being made into a movie (it was so not a law drama and action book),

I also like Hide by Lisa Gardener. Disturbing at times like the rest of her books (mostly having to do with child abuse, i've noticed

I like the Jefferey Deaver-Lincoln Rhyme series. I thought they were well written. I have to get the last one still, but I did enjoy them all so far.
I have always like Agatha Christie's books as well :)

Right now I'm reading Gideon's Sword by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. It's a new introduction to their latest action
character, Gideon Crew, who is a trickster, prodigy, master thief. So far I can't seem to put the book down.:star5:

Right now I'm reading Gideon's Sword by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. It's a new introduction to their latest action
character, Gideon Crew, who is a trickster, prodigy, master thief. So far I can't seem to put the book down.:star5:

Really? Everybody on Amazon seems to hate it.

Really? Everybody on Amazon seems to hate it.

I believe it was a conspiracy. I have enjoyed every book one or both have written. Like I said in my review on Amazon:

What I like with these two writers is their knowledge. Gideon Crew was exciting in every aspect and I can't wait for the next book.
Preston and Child's detractors should probably stick to Dick and Jane novels because these two writers are most intellegent and gifted. When I read their books, I feel like it's really happening.

What I've just finished

Just finished reading one of John Lescroart's earlier books "The 13th Juror" - kept me guessing until the end, some red herrings near the end of the book. Can't understand how I missed this book as I've read so many of his more recent ones. Really enjoy his writing. momac

Just finished reading "Fever in the Bone" by Val McDermid. A really interesting crime read - with a surprise ending. Lots of computer detecting and profiling by Tony Hill, with a little sub-plot about Tony's father. Was reading the book and trying to watch the election results - Conservatives have the house majority - north of 49 that is. Also been interested in the CNN coverage of the US action in taking out bin Laden. Hats off to the counter-terrorism team. momac

Of late I have had a fondness for Patricia Cornwell's Dr. Kay Scarpetta (forensic pathologist) novels. I love many of the recurring characters such Dr Scarpetta and the crusty homicide detective, Pete Marino.

Fate-I have read all of her books to date. I agree that the recurring characters are great. Who can't like Pete Marino? ha ha

Fate-I have read all of her books to date. I agree that the recurring characters are great. Who can't like Pete Marino? ha ha

I may even prefer Marino over Scarpetta. I have a penchant for the archetypal gumshoe detective.

I may even prefer Marino over Scarpetta. I have a penchant for the archetypal gumshoe detective.

He is a favorite of mine. I like Scarpetta and all, but there is a piece of Marino that I can't help to like more. Perhaps it is the idea that he needs other humans to help him and therefore he seems a bit more "real" to me. He is not a pompous character, yet recognizes his unique skills.

garryg: I have been a fan of James Patterson for years, I read almost all his books to date. Cross Country is in the Alex Cross series, if you liked cross country you will prob. like the others that came before it, if you visit his website Home | The Official James Patterson Website it lists all the Alex Cross books in order as well as his other books.

I think Harlan COben writes excellent thrillers, I expecially like the Myron Bolitar series.
Also love the Lincoln Rhyme series by Jeffery Deaver and the Pendergast series by Preston & Child.
I read all Patricia Cornell's bokks: each worse than the previous one. so I quit reading her :)

Back