• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you guys think?

papageorgio

Hey everyone I'm new here and I am just curious about what you experienced readers think about my summer selections.

I have decided to read Catch-22, A Confederacy of Dunces, and, The Catcher in the Rye. What do you guys think about these selections? I have heard that they are all pretty funny especially Catch-22 and Confederacy of Dunces-Are they? Good or bad reads? Any other suggestions for smart/funny novels? Thanks for your help! :)

Read A Confederacy of Dunces, you will seriously laugh your tail off-an absolute must read. The others can wait.

Those books pretty much suck, for comedy try Mark Twain,or Mad magazine. Not really much good humor in novel form. Confederacy of dunces was written by a nine year old as best I could figure it.Catch 22 and Catcher in the Rye do you honestly think that tripe is funny? You will find no laughs in those books, seriously save your time.

I actually haven't read any of those, but I wish I had. Whether they're funny or not, I think you'll be glad you've got them under your belt. They're all on my list of books to read because I somehow missed them during my education.

How about something not on your summer reading list? For a complete change of pace, try All Over But the Shouting by Rick Bragg. It's the story of his life, mostly dealing with his difficult childhood in the southern US in the 60's and 70's. Parts of the book will make you laugh til you cry, while others will just make you cry.

Ooh..how silly of me to forget these gems: The Commitments, The Snapper, The Van by Roddy Doyle. Three short novels,can be found in one volume as The Berrytown Trilogy. Once you get through the Irish slang and terrible language(!) they're wicked fun. My favorites are The Van and The Snapper.

I looked up the Berrytown Trilogy on the barnes and noble website and they all got like 5 stars so maybe I will try them. Thanks.

I looked up the Berrytown Trilogy on the barnes and noble website and they all got like 5 stars so maybe I will try them. Thanks.

Just don't let your mother get ahold of it first:rolleyes: As I mentioned, the language is bad..but it's part of the whole thing and vital. Ask Stewart;)

definatly read Catcher in the Rye considering the amount of references. i'm hoping to read Catch 22 before i start college since almost everyone except me has read that -_-

Those books pretty much suck, for comedy try Mark Twain,or Mad magazine. Not really much good humor in novel form. Confederacy of dunces was written by a nine year old as best I could figure it.Catch 22 and Catcher in the Rye do you honestly think that tripe is funny? You will find no laughs in those books, seriously save your time.

Disregard this entirely.

Catch-22 and Confederacy of Dunces are two of the funniest works you will likely ever read. The former is my favorite book, period.

Back