• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you think of the prices of new books?

I would be ashamed to admit the price I've paid for some books, but who needs food anyway!

I tell myself it's OK to spend that much on a rare, out of print reference book. Oh, and the Complete Far Side and Complete Calvin and Hobbes are worth every penny.

Wow...

My Complete Far Side sits in a place of honor in my living room for all to see.

I still need to get Calvin and Hobbes...

I find Amazon is very reasonable for many of the books that I want to buy, but otherwise find the RRP of new books to be quite high. I tend to read paperbacks or wait for the books to come out in paperback before I'll buy, with a few rare exceptions through the year. Their just easier to read too, especially since I don't have a Kindle (yet).

Usually if I really want to have a book forever I will buy it. The prices these days are very expensive, especially for hardcovers. x.x I mostly get my books at the library.

The only hardback I'll ever buy new is the next George RR Martin book. Other than that, I'll never buy them. For example, I love Pete Dexter and he had a new book come out last year, but I'm totally fine with waiting over 8 months for the paperback. I have enough to read in the mean time.

personally i dont have money anymore for books so i usually go to a used book place or the library so i dont ever get to read the ones i really want to unless i sacrifice something else for it

I vote for bringing back 75 cent paperbacks. I'm trying to be reasonable, I could vote for 10 cent copies.

27 dollars is a very expensive price :angry:

i usually buy paperback + used

for me, most part of the books cost between 4 and 8 dollars + 4 dollars of shipping... i usually buy at betterworldbooks...

If I'm ordering from the internet I usually go with amazon, but half.com does have some decent prices. betterworldbooks has a lot of things up there for sale.

Prices in the $20 - $30 range for a new hard back are definitely high to outrageous, but I stilll buy the relatively few books that I want badly enough.

Most of my purchases, though, are older books in like-new or excellent condition, bought through library sales or Amazon Marketplace. They are real bargains in general. ($1 - $5, more or less).

Me too. It's outrageous to price new books more than $20! It really makes you think twice if you want to get it or not. For me, my reading stack at home is composed of 2nd hand books. I am not really a book junkie, you know like those fans who lined up for Harry Potter books outside of BNs

You guys should become borders reward members by the way (it is free to join and get the coupons), I get emailed 30 to 40 percent off coupons every week pretty much, which makes buying hard covers and even paper backs a little more reasonable.

You guys should become borders reward members by the way (it is free to join and get the coupons), I get emailed 30 to 40 percent off coupons every week pretty much, which makes buying hard covers and even paper backs a little more reasonable.

I am a member and I get the email with coupon deals everyday. It's a cool setup for sure.

What price be books

Okay, so the title of this reply is lame, but the price, that is paid, at a bookstore, is not the amount that the originator (author) receives, which is a lot less. The bookstore takes some, the publisher takes some, the author that sweated over each and every word gets a little. My publisher is pushing me to write for kindle type readers, because it costs them less than the traditional binding and distribution methods. I write limited edition mysteries and the field is very competitive. Although, I am not going to tout my books here, I do want to say, that my publisher has gone away from hard covered books, because the cost of printing is getting more expensive with every printing, plus with soft covered pulp fiction books, they can pay less to authors, because there is a lot of writers out there. I believe my publish discounts their books to the big chains by as much as 60% and, as a result, works on less money coming in based on a shortened length of time that the book is displayed and sold (about a month, if we are lucky, unless a major book signing, which only happens if you have a tie in with some other venue, such as an upcoming movie or TV show, such as Castle). So, if you are paying under $30.00 for a book, first, let me thank you, if it was one of mine, you are not paying to much. If you are paying $15.97 or less, smile you are getting a good deal. If you are paying $10.00 or less, you just paid me 80 cents. Ouch :)

Emperor007
Thank you very much for the informative post. I hope sincerely, at the $30 level if any of your books are there, that you get your share of the increased price instead of it all being absorbed by the entire food chain above you.
Best of luck and may your fortunes improve.
Peder

So, if you are paying under $30.00 for a book, first, let me thank you, if it was one of mine, you are not paying to much. If you are paying $15.97 or less, smile you are getting a good deal. If you are paying $10.00 or less, you just paid me 80 cents. Ouch :)

Your post really has me thinking about your predicament. I'm not certain what the breakdown is between who gets what when a book sells. I can see the author, the publisher, and the book store, all arguing for a larger piece of the pie. All three players are undoubtedly very important, but there is only so much the invisible hand will tolerate. This is definitely a quandry. From the vantage point of a consumer, my attitude is to get it used or from the library. I view a $40.00 price tag on a hardback at walden's, the same way that I view the price on the window of a new car-it's a "sucker price."

Back