• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you use as a bookmark?

Got a bunch of books from the library and there was this really neat magnetic book mark in one of them - don't know which now - it opens up, you clip one side on the page you're reading and the other side clips on the other side of the page and stays shut because of the magnet - the kind of thing I would have bought had I spotted it in a store, very tiny but it works great. One side says "books are the quietest and most constant of friends" and the other side says "hold that thought". Probably one of those trinkets could be bought at the checkout at Chapters or Coles, or maybe even the Dollar Store. Feel a bit guilty as the owner probably misses it, however, it has found a good home so thanks to him or her for the inadvertent gift.

I fold a piece of scrap paper until it's a hooked bookmark about three inches long and one wide. That way I can use it to keep track of where on a page I am reading. I tend to do a lot of starting/ stopping while reading.

I usually remember where I left reading, so earlier never used a book mark. But, recently, I have purchased some books online and got real bookmarks free with every book, with some funny statement written on them. So, I am quite tempted to use these.

One thing I really detest is the dog-eared books, that I often found at the local library. For me, it is a huge put-off, almost bordering on sin to mutilate a book in such a savage way.

I have a bookmark that I've used for 7 years. I bought it back in my 6th grade year, and I'm still using it now.

It's with this saying on it:
"Never judge a book by its movie."

I use index cards and write down words I want to look up later and phrases that catch my eye.

I usually use the receipt that I got when I bought the book, then just keep it in there. I dog ear a lot as well, although I try not to.

Amazingly - lately discovered for my bathing-tub: a rubberband
bus-tickets are bound to fall into the water at some point, if you read in the tub..

If it's a hardcover, I use the dust jacket. if it's not, I use business cards, Amazon receipts or I don't use anything at all and just try to remember the page number. It works too!

I use my notes, which I scribble for just about every book I read. Plus, I always read to the end of a section or chapter, so finding my way back isn't ever a problem. In other words, I don't use a bookmark.

I use an Angry Birds book mark that I got from Barnes & Noble. Most of the time though I just use a piece of paper, or I do not use one at all.

I do a backflip onto a box of baby ducks. Then I take one of the flattened baby ducks and use that as a bookmark. Well not really, I was just trying to think of something marginally more disturbing than dogearing a book. :D

Usually it's just some old receipt or scrap of paper. I buy lots of used books so sometimes I find old business cards, receipts, or tickets used as bookmarks by the previous owners. I usually just leave those with the book. If I don't have anything handy I'll just remember the page number.

Personally I like to use the edge of the book page, but if its a book i'm going to read again and again, i use a strip of paper or picture!

I guess I'm too much of a cheapskate to buy a bookmark to use for regular reading. Ironic, since I spent $20 on bookmarks for my own book, as a promotional tool thing. It's weird what people will spend their money on.

I suppose I'd buy a bookmark if it were star wars :p

Back