• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you use as a bookmark?

Bookmark

I use a bookmark, this may sound a little weird, but it has a poem and my grandmothers obituary on it and it is laminated. The funeral home made them for our family when she passed away. The poem is called When I Must Leave You:
When I must leave you
for a little while
Please do not grieve and
shed wild tears
And hug your sorrow to you
through the years
But start out bravely with
a gallant smile;
And for my sake and in my name
Live on and do all things the same,
Feed not your lonliness
on empty days,
But fill each waking hour
in useful ways,
Reach out your han in comfort
and in cheer
And I in turn will comfort you
And hold you near;
And never, never be afraid to die,
For I am waiting for you in the sky!​

I really liked to use it just because it reminds me of her. I though it would be nice to post the poem because I think it is very touching. :)

I use a bookmark, this may sound a little weird, but it has a poem and my grandmothers obituary on it and it is laminated. The funeral home made them for our family when she passed away. The poem is called When I Must Leave You:
When I must leave you
for a little while
Please do not grieve and
shed wild tears
And hug your sorrow to you
through the years
But start out bravely with
a gallant smile;
And for my sake and in my name
Live on and do all things the same,
Feed not your lonliness
on empty days,
But fill each waking hour
in useful ways,
Reach out your han in comfort
and in cheer
And I in turn will comfort you
And hold you near;
And never, never be afraid to die,
For I am waiting for you in the sky!​

I really liked to use it just because it reminds me of her. I though it would be nice to post the poem because I think it is very touching. :)

Very beautiful, thank you.

I've had my fill of funerals lately. I'll be at one today, sadly

I use bookmarks mostly, but if I can't find one when I need it I will grab a piece of paper and make it work.

I use foil that's been folded a thousand times over to make it nicely long and thin.

Bookmark

I fold the edge of the paper, or use what ever i can find, or i just turn the book upside down. I also got a good memory and use that instead of a bookmark. :)

I have a photograph in there at the minute but the little stick tabs made by Post-It are cool. They don't fall off it you put your book in you bag.

I am currently using a bookmark I made after Christmas. I have a lovely metal bookmark but because it is one of the paperclip ones that stick out the top the page often gets ripped if I am traveling with the book...or it falls off!

Before Christmas when I was traveling by train about once a week I would use my train ticket. If it is a library book or a book I am re-reading I will often dog ear it!

If I can't find anything then I will just tear a bit of paper and use that or leave the book upside down...

Devil x

I have a lovely collection of metal bookmarks that have sayings I like. I used to always use one from the collection. However, my mother got me a bookrug (www.bookrug.com) for my birthday in December. It's not really my style, but it stays in the book! I've tried pulling it out, but the backing makes sure it sticks tight - hardbacks and paperbacks, alike. I'm very impressed and considering getting one in a color that I like better.

Once in a while, such as when I'm cooking and reading at the same time, I will put the book down turned over and open, but I do not like to crease the spine, so I make sure that I pick it up quickly. I NEVER crease the pages! If you come to my house you will see bookshelves of books that do not look like they have been read, even though some of them have been read many times and others have been read at least once. I learned this habit from my father.

I have a stupid system really that only survives because I'm too lazy to change it. I dog ear my pages because I can't keep a bookmark for longer than two minutes before it's lost forever. But I don't like dog earing the pages, so I try to use the same dog ear as long as possible. Ha. I use one dog ear until I'm several pages away and am forced to fold another page. I read a lot at work in my down time and have to stop every ten pages or so and don't want to bend that many...
Sometimes I use business cards people give me. These also go missing almost instantly.

Anything I can get my hands on! Usually my bus pass as I always read on the bus! That has resulted in a few incidents where I've not taken my book out.. and had to pay for the bus grr.

I use free bookmarks from bookstores or business cards. My wife and mother in law both use paperclips.

I don't know how anyone can dog ear their books, even ones that belong to the library. In an era where technology is rapidly taking over (on-line books and articles etc), one should be more respecting of actual books, just in case they begin dying out*. Mind you, I have to say that I do find it more comfy reading copy of a book that has been read by someone before me. I like the spine creased.

*I read a story once as part of the curriculum in primary school and it was set in the future and the kids didn't even go to school. They were homeschooled and their lesson were thought by computer. No real live teacher or anything. All of their books were on computer and there was no such thing as pencils or pens. In the story the kids were learning about how many moons ago, other children read books that were made from such a thing called paper. I remember one line in particular that said, ''Imagine that?! Words that don't move?" The kids debated then about whether or not these things called books were a good idea. The girl was all for it, saying that one could read their favourite story over and over again and the boy wondered why anyone would want to read the smae thing twice.
Back when I read that story, I had never even hear of the internet. I was only about 8. Here I am at 24, and books on computer are already a reality. Scary stuff.

Does anyone just memorize the page number that they are on? That's what I usually do.

i usually leave the book upside down at home. however, i've developed a post-it system. i'm the type who will mark where i want to read by by a certain date. i use post-its for that. i also may use a post-it as a bookmark. as we all know, a post-it loses its ability to.. post. so i fold it in half, usually staple/tape it (since it cant stick to itself), and use it as a regular book mark. i've also used index cards. i'm currently using a Joker card i found in my AP Spanish room b/c there was no scrapes of paper around

I usually use a folded up piece of paper. I think the bookmark I'm currently using is an old grocery list. :lol:

Back