• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you use as a bookmark?

What do you use as a bookmark?
I had a really nice light metal-type book mark with an Anais Nin quote engraved into it... but I lost it.

Since then, I've used book receipts, scrap pieces of paper, a Progressive auto insurance card (not activated, some sort of promotional type thing)... just about anything that's not important. I draw too, so sometimes I make a pretty little bookmark. :p

I used to buy bookmarks (really cute kinds) but I got too lazy to search for them whenever I needed one, so I ended up just using whatever was small, flat and laying around. Then finally a friend got me a gold plated bookmark with my name on it, so I use that. :)

My 7 yr old son makes most of my book marks, my current one is a spotted heart with ribbons glued on the back. I get a new one about every 2 weeks.

I've never used bookmarks. I've never seen the need for bookmarks. I employ the method of simply shutting the book. Often I also glance at the page number. (I don't memorise them...) I'm almost always able to open the book at the right place, or find my place again. I've been doing it since I was 7.
I've never been a corner-turner, either. I'm not strongly opposed to it, and I 've done it myself once or twice. I hate it when the spines get creased, and I stopped putting the book face down as soon as I was old enough to realise what it did. I was absolutely furious when I found the book I'd leant my brother on the bathroom floor, half-buried under the clothes he'd worn the day before with the spine creased and the cover bent back!!!!

My little sister uses bookmarks... (I don't get it. Why can't see just put the book down and wonder off...) and she uses what ever is handy - ripped paper, spoon, folded picture, school work... her soft toys!

Hi all

Just reading through the previous posts of this thread and I've found myself a bit amused by some of the strangest habits in reading I have ever heard!

Okay, sure, if you're reading someone else's book (or a library one), treat it with respect. But in terms of respect for an author and their work, surely they would appreciate you cherishing their words in your own way.

Call me naive, but I think an author would be far more delighted to hear "I've read your book so many times that it's falling apart at the spine!"

than

"Can you please sign my book? Just be careful not to lean on the cover...or crease the pages..no DON'T touch it with your bare hands, you can use my rubber gloves..."

Personally, I usually read before bed and fall asleep with the book open and on my face. Sometimes I use old train cards, sometimes i use a bookmark if I can find one. It doesnt matter. What matters to me is the joy I get from reading.

Hey, has anyone mentioned that you shouldn't fold the page corners? I kid I kid.

I use an index card. I've often thought about writing the name of each book I read while that is my trusty bookmark, but I never do. (My handwriting looks horrible)

If its mostly flat and will just hold still...

:) I've used just about anything anyone could imagine. My favorite bookmarks as a kid were recycled Wrigley's wrappers-they even added a scented touch. Nowadays, with my huge mass of kids and a dh who frequently STEAL my books and swipe my bookmark, I use all sorts of stuff to mark my place. I might use an orphan playing card(the rest of any given deck are scattered all over anyway)l, a notecard, a greeting card, a sales reciept, or even a kleenex or a toothpick. Once in awhile my kids will go on a creative rampage and mass produce these one-of-a kind bookmarks that are cool and fun to use. My favorite from the last binge was a Larry(VeggieTales) drawn on bright green cardstock with a marker and laminated. :cool:

My youngest daughter (who's 3) loves making little bookmarks for people by scribbling on bits of paper, sometimes they are absoultely huge & about twice the size of the book - but it's really cute

Some of our books are collector's items. We use strips of acid-free paper. We're boring.

Of course, this means that we have to have supplies of those bookmarks all over the apartment, because we might be reading anywhere and need one.

In fact, when I get a book and put it on my to-read shelf, I slip a bookmark into the front, just so it will be ready. We're boring and compulsive.

I've never really needed a bookmark, even though lots of people have given me pretty ones since they know how much I enjoy reading.

It's never been a problem for me to open a book and easily flip it right back to where I was reading it last. I don't think about it or plan how to do it, I guess I get to know my books somewhat unconsciously and it's just an automatic reflex.

I inevitably fall asleep whilst I'm reading so my books are always shut when I next come to read them!
Made some bookmarks by cutting and sticking postcards and adding string but seem to have lost them, good intentions...
Have some cute bookmarks made of felt in the shape of bookworms but haven't actually ever used them.
My most used boomark (I got given it when I was 8, am now 22!) has a picture of an owl on it with holographic eyes. V.appropriate as I'm definately a night owl.

To market my web site, I made up bookmarks. What better way to intrigue bookish people?

But the library, they fan books coming in and put bookmarks and photos in a frame at the front as a kind of lost and found. So I have to sneak into the library, find Lobsterish books and sneak the bookmark in.

I so this at the retail level as well, and came close to getting busted at Target the other day. I'm sure on the camera it looked a lot like a guy who was using his hoodie to steal books but those security guys aren't thinking about a customer coming and leaving something behind.

"Are you finding everying you're looking for, sir?"

This is Target (or other department store) for 'What are you stealing?'

I thought I'd get frisked on the way out, so I didn't leave before I'd planted all the guerilla marketing I was carrying.

The idea is to put the marks in books and magazines that otherwise intelligent people will find at a Target. I realize that going into such a retail outlet is possibly a symptom of imbecility. But only by reaching out to the intelligent people trapped in an idiot's world can I build my web site's traffic beyond 28 hits a week...

To fulfill my Evil Plans...

I remember where I was, the chapter at least. If I didn't I start to read again until I find a hint of familiarity. Thats when I know the place where I left off reading last time.

I have a lot of bookmarks that I've collected from local used-book stores. The bookmarks are advertisement - the name, address, and number of the stores are on them.

I have also gotten some from magazines or out of junk mail, in which someone wanted to sell me something and thought to bribe me with bookmarks. Otherwise I'll use index cards - which I usually use for school.

There are no holds barred when I'm dealing with books I use solely as reference material. I use paper clips, those post-it things for marking pages, and I'll even resort to folding the corner of the page in. I will even write *gasp!* in reference books.

I quite like using postcards of places I have been, or some old postcards from the 1920's (some are really cute cards)
+ Love to use bookthongs for my fav hb books :)

Must admit a cheque stub also does the job.
But I never turn the corner of page :eek:

Back