• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What kind of "fluff" do you read?

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
Unless you're name is Stewart, you like to mix things up and read a bit of fluff every now and then. Of course one man's fluff is another's high literature so "fluff" is pretty relative.

I've read all the Harry Potter. I have also read some Dan Brown:whistling:. Anthony Bourdain's novels are clearly fluff and I enjoyed them for what they were. There are others but that's all that has sprung to mind.

What's your poison?

The one I'm reading right now - Jasper Fforde - might qualify as "fluff" I guess. It's well-written, funny and contains tons of nods to other books (that's sort of the point of his BookWorld novels) and some none-too-subtle kicks towards some trends in society, but at the end of the day, it's little more but funny meta-fiction for the sake of funny meta-fiction.

Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams fall in the same category, I suppose.

I though fluff was the description of the Depeche mode hair style?

Being big time into fluff,i would like to do a distinction betwin good and bad fluff.Like i read most of David gemmell,Bernard Cornwell,Robin Hobb,Glen Cook those a very good fluff indeed.
As Clive Cussler,Simon scarrow,Dean Koontz,Wilbur Smith are not very good.
And then there is the really bad fluff that might deserve more the crap qualificatif.
I'm not giving names.

I quite enjoy listening to Lydsey (sp?) Davis’ Falco stories as Audio books – but they are too dire to read, which suggests they are better on plot and character than style.

But for me, special mention goes to John Zakour (e.g. The Frost-Haired Vixen). What I have read of his has absolutely no merit. It is appallingly written, cliché ridden, misogynistic rubbish – and yet I keep reading to see where the train wreck is going to pile-up next. It’s cathartic in its own way.

I like funny books. If I'm in the mood for fluff, I'm in the mood for a good laugh. Chelsea Handler, Laurie Notaro. And I almost cried from laughing when I read I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell, by Tucker Max.

Funny this question should pop up now....it just so happens I'm reading a light and airy murder mystery right now: Hooked On Murder,by Betty Hechtman. It was recommended by someone at Ravelry, and it came in with the batch of world lit stuff I requested last week (thanks to Saliothomas' thread of personal recommendations).

Fluff sounds negative. How about "light"? Sarah Vowell, David Sedaris, Bailey White. They're light but with some substance.

I don't think of fluff as a bad thing. Like Thomas said, there's good fluff and bad fluff.

David Sedaris would be good fluff.

As for bad fluff, well, everyone has their opinions on that one.

Poppy Z. Brite's non-horror works are fun fluff. Nothing more than good stories with fun characters. Bentley Little's books aren't exactly light reads due to their graphic content but in no way are they anything more than fluff. I read fantasy often so I guess a good deal of those books would be considered "fluff" (Sword of Truth for instance).

Did you get the idea of this topic because of our conversation last night? haha

My Fluff was the Stephanie Plum books

Kevin J. Anderson's books are my most plentiful source of fluff. I used to read a lot of John Sandford, David Morrell, and David Hagberg but haven't for many years now.

Fluff, huh? Well, I like me some good and fluffy romances. I seem to be reading those a lot lately. Thanks to Jez I have four more romances sitting on my shelf! The woman knows my weakness.

Back