• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

When am I *ever* getting to those?

I had good intentions to get through the lion's share of my tbr stacks, but then I started this Olympic Challenge and forgot all about them..just the other day I was reading The Hunchback of Notre Dame and the mail carrier brought a book by Canadian writer David Adams Richards, who was recommended by Ions..This book is intended to be a gift for fisherman friend, but I had to give it a test run, to make sure it was gift-worthy, you see;) It is! I plan to ask my son to draw a picture of a trout or salmon to enclose as a bookmark to go with Lines in The Water..This business of getting sidetracked is not always a bad thing!

some of the books on your lists i've read and would definately recommend: angels and demons(faily entertaining), and sherlock holmes. Eldest isn't quite ias good, it drags out and gets rather dull. I have a list of about 250 tbr books in addition to piles all over my room. And those books you people mentioned reminds me of even more books I need to read, and this year I was extremely crazy and took 7 academic classes and a TON of extracurriculars so the only time i have to read is about 12 a.m.

I have been having the same list for years because I keep buying brand new releases and reading them first.

I know the exact feeling. I did a count, two nights ago, of all my unread books (fiction only, not including those I have no intention of ever reading) and was rather shocked to find that the grand total was 268 books. So it shall come to pass that I won't be buying any books for a while. At least, I hope.

But I got another one out of the way yesterday so that's 267 still to go. Happy days.

The ones I especially want to read are:
  • Rabbit, Run, John Updike
  • A Suitable Boy, Vikram Seth
  • Ghostwritten, David Mitchell
  • The Forsyte Saga, John Galsworthy
  • Hunger, Knut Hamsun
  • The Big Sleep, Raymond Chandler
  • The Crying Of Lot 49, Thomas Pynchon

But I keep putting them off be it their size, or I can't be bothered thinking, or the fact that I might like the Updikle so much I'll buy the rest of the novels (in Penguin Classics edition, no less) and the TBR list will start mounting again.

I know the exact feeling. I did a count, two nights ago, of all my unread books (fiction only, not including those I have no intention of ever reading) and was rather shocked to find that the grand total was 268 books. So it shall come to pass that I won't be buying any books for a while. At least, I hope.

But I got another one out of the way yesterday so that's 267 still to go. Happy days.

The ones I especially want to read are:
  • Rabbit, Run, John Updike
  • A Suitable Boy, Vikram Seth
  • Ghostwritten, David Mitchell
  • The Forsyte Saga, John Galsworthy
  • Hunger, Knut Hamsun
  • The Big Sleep, Raymond Chandler
  • The Crying Of Lot 49, Thomas Pynchon
But I keep putting them off be it their size, or I can't be bothered thinking, or the fact that I might like the Updikle so much I'll buy the rest of the novels (in Penguin Classics edition, no less) and the TBR list will start mounting again.

Does this leave out library books? Or do you not use the library much these days?

I never counted the library books either; true. I usually take the full quota of sixteen out, but I don't always read them. I just like having that extra option.

I never counted the library books either; true. I usually take the full quota of sixteen out, but I don't always read them. I just like having that extra option.

Good, I couldn't get very far if we had to discount library books...you know how it is, small budget, big eyes:rolleyes:

This is a great question.

Here's my short list:
City of Dreams by Beverly Swerling
The Physician by Noah Gordon
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
Marrying Mozart by Stephanie Cowell
Garlic & Sapphires by Ruth Reichl

I just went to look at my bookshelf and realized that there are lots of books I own that I really want to read. Oh, for more time in the day...

My list right now:

The Best Awful by Carrie Fisher
The Lazarus Heart (The Crow) by Poppy Z. Brite
Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr
Demons by John Shirley
Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

Too many to list...I can't wait for some snow, a mug of hot cider while reading in front of the fireplace on my leather chair! Hopefully I will get through a few books on my ever expanding TBR list.:eek:

Back