• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Where are you from?

steffee said:
Wow, I didn't know that!

Oh but there's a saying in the UK... "being sent to Coventry" which means you are being ignored / ignoring someone. ;) :D

So SFG, what's Nebraska like?

steffee, where do you thik that saying came from? My British stepma used to send my father "to Coventry" regularly, but she never told me what it meant. Well, I knew it meant that he was in big trouble with her, but -- you know. :confused:

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sent_to_Coventry :)

Wow, I can't get over that bridge. It sounded very very long, but I just saw a pic, wow!! :D :D

I think the longest bridge we have is the Tay bridge, which is a whopping 2 miles. Impressive, huh? :rolleyes: ;) :D

StillILearn said:
steffee, where do you thik that saying came from? My British stepma used to send my father "to Coventry" regularly, but she never told me what it meant. Well, I knew it meant that he was in big trouble with her, but -- you know. :confused:

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sent_to_Coventry :)

Jeez, a wiki link that doesn't tell you much :D

I thought that in WW2 there was factories in Coventry, where men from all over the UK got sent to work... I read that in Angela's Ashes, but having just done a quick google, it's been around much longer. :confused:

This is how clever our pontalba is: I mentioned in another post that I took my avatar photo from my kitchen window, and pontalba figued out exactly where I live. She came so close that she almost got it down to the street number! :D :eek: ;) :D

StillILearn said:
This is how clever our pontalba is: I mentioned in another post that I took my avatar photo from my kitchen window, and pontalba figued out exactly where I live. She came so close that she almost got it down to the street number! :D :eek: ;) :D
LOL SIL! You mentioned the town you lived in! I just remembered...:D

Steffee Its a bad deal if one breaks down on the Bridge, fortunately I don't have to cross it any more. I have not been to the South Shore since way before the hurricane (Katrina). Now maybe once or twice a year at most. There are turn arounds every so many miles (I forget how often), if you forget something, or break down. But just the other night a man swerved to avoid a stalled car right on the bridge, and he was killed along with his 5 year old son. :( :mad: So it does happen, but rarely.
While we were moving over here from the South Shore we traveled the Bridge quite often (and many commute every day!), and once in the dusk, I had to quickly run around a stalled car with no lights on at all. That was before we had cell phones, so I stopped at one of the turn arounds and called on the emergency phone to the Bridge Police. They came pronto!

And yes, quite often in the winter especially it is closed due to the fog. And I have crossed it in a high wind......not my favorite thing to do, I can tell ya!

BTW SIL, I suppose that link means Cromwell's Civil War? I'd not heard that expression before. The only thing I knew about Coventry was that Churchill had kept it quiet in WWII that Hitler was going to bomb it. The Enigma Machine, (Cross, Double Cross). Didn't want the Germans to know that the Brits had the machine to break their codes.

StillILearn said:
Well, not all the time. ;)
That is a beautiful view.

pontalba.....I would sure hate to be on the bridge in fog or high wind. that would be absolutely scary. How far up your way do the alligators go.

qq8ydz.jpg
Looking bear

qq8z29.jpg
Posing bear

I was surprised to learn that there is acutally an alligator farm in this area. :eek: And that some got loose in the hurricane. /shiver/ I didn't think they were this far up the road from the swamp. 'Cause we do freeze up here in the winter. If New Orleans freezes once in a winter its a lot. But up here we get maybe 5-8 freezes a year.

During foggy mornings, if its bad enough, they close the bridge for awhile, but then they will 'convoy' the cars over at about 25 or 30 mph. when it clears a bit. I don't know how the commuters deal with that! :rolleyes:

I remember driving over the bridge when it was only a two lane (one either way) bridge. Talk about narrow and sometimes scary! Kids would drive over it as though it was a speedway. Indy 500!

I'd be scared with bears coming in my back yard though, I can tell you!!!

Actually, I have lived here all my life and I have never become jaded about (or even used to) the view. :) Every day's a miracle.

Where's the link to your long, long bridge? I want to see that thang. :eek:

Holey moley, pontalba! That is one daunting sight. I don't know if I'd have the intestinal fortitude to drive my car onto that bridge, even in good weather! :eek:

muggle said:
I live in the "Country" approx. 10 miles Northwest of Charlottesville, VA, USA. in the winter when the leaves are off the trees I can see the Blue Ridge Mountains from my back porch. Charlottesville has a population of approx. 49,000 people. There are many writers, movie stars, etc that live in our little town. John Grisham, Rita Mae Brown, Sissy Spacek, Howie Long, Dave Matthews Band, etc. BTW, 99% of them are very nice people that do much good for the community.

Charlottesville has the reputation as being the most "read" town in the U.S. We also have every year the "Virginia Film Festival" and the "Festival Of The Book". We also have the University OF Virginia, the biggest employer in the County. I frequently see black bear in my back yard that come down from the mountains in the spring and summer. Deer are a nuisance and are seen every day in herds.

My screened porch is where I do much of my reading in the summer when I'm not chasing away deer or bear. :)

qp2xiq.jpg
qp2xwh.jpg

:eek: Now that would be something to read and then see a bear in front of you.:eek: Where I live, some farmers claim that mountain lions are around. Of course, in the sandhills, you have to wonder if the wind and alcohol doesn't play a larger role in these "sightings":rolleyes:

Hah! That'll be the day You don't have the nerve for something like that! That bridge is so sturdy and nice and wide too. It stood up to the hurricane.

Now the other bridge that crosses the Lake from New Orleans East to Slidell at the eastern end of the lake, now thats another story! Large Chunks of that bridge were totally swept away during the storm. Literally.:eek:

Pontalba, I bet you have some stories to tell about Hurricane Katrina. How did you fare?

StillIlearn, I thought your avatar was a painting - what a truly beautiful view.

And Muggle, I'm just wondering are the bears dangerous? You said somewhere that you have to chase them away - how do you do that?

I live in Schaumburg, IL. A northwest Suburb of Chicago. I'm about 20 miles from the city limits. Home of the international headquarters of Motorola.

My neighborhood has British themes (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) all the street names are:Cumberland (my street), Brixham, Ellington, Exmore, Covington, Portsmouth, Dunlap, Penrith, Amherst, Emerson, Dartford, Cambourne. Sutton, Iverson, Perth, Elgin, Abbington, Argyll, Rugby just to name a few.

We have 76,386 people here and the area is 19 square miles. It's a German town settled by German farmers in the late 1880's.

We have everything we need. I could live here for the rest of my life and never would have to leave the borders of Schaumburg. The shopping is close and it takes me less then 5 minutes to get to any store in all directions.

We have great schools for the kids and in 2005 our park district was voted number one in the country.

On one long main road here we have miles and miles of uninterrupted car dealerships. Woodfield Mall and we are also the Mecca of restaurants. One things for sure. You'll never go hungry in Schaumburg.

Back