• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Where are you from?

Poppy1 We didn't fare half as badly as New Orleans, but this Parish is very forested, and I would say that in most areas about 75% of the trees were either uprooted, or broken off the top. :( Where I am is about 150 ft above sealevel, which is practically a mountain around here, so no flooding in this area. But some of the NorthShore did flood, but not like N.O. That was beyond comprenhension. We have not been down there since the hurricane, and from what friends have told me the pictures don't capture a quarter of the devestation. Plus of course the Smell. :( Glad we moved 10 years ago. For Sure. Personally, I slept thru the hurricane. We battened down the hatches, and what else could we do? Sleep was the best. :) The eyewall did pass right over us though. /shiver/ Glad I was asleep!

Isabell I'll say this!, the ride can put one right to sleep. One side (the older one) is bumpty, bumpty, bumpty! If you don't have someone else in the car, all ya want to do is sleep. Not a good thing! The water is so changable and beautiful though, shiny and greenish, or plain gray and choppy, fascinating really. You drove down from Schaumburg? I'm glad you got to see everything before the Hurricane. Nothing will be the same again. Just on the South Shore is Metairie, my old stomping grounds. :)

Poppy1 said:
C'mon CDA, a bit more detail. These short pithy remarks of yours are very funny but I want to hear about your bunker, or at least the view from outside your bunker. All I've heard about Bristol is "Ship-shape and Bristol fashion", so was quite surprised to see you weren't by the sea. Lovely old buildings you have.:)

The bunker only has one skylight, for free illumination after power failure, so I can't see anything other than clouds.

BTW, I'm from Bristol, but live in Salisbury.

Obscurantism: the practice of deliberately preventing the facts or full details of something from becoming known. /or CDA/ :D
j/k j/k !!

Poppy1, the real problems came for us after the hurricane. No electricity for 2 weeks in a house that depended on elec. for water, and the phone was out of order for 3 months.

Poppy1 said:
Pontalba, I bet you have some stories to tell about Hurricane Katrina. How did you fare?

StillIlearn, I thought your avatar was a painting - what a truly beautiful view.

And Muggle, I'm just wondering are the bears dangerous? You said somewhere that you have to chase them away - how do you do that?
I would imagine the stories that Pontalba would tell about Katrina would not be pleasant ones. That was a terrible storm that did unimaginable damage.

I also thought that StillILearn's avatar was a painting. I wonder where in CA SIL lives.

Bears "can" be dangerous but usually will not bother you. Never, ever, though get "between" a mama bear and her cubs. A person should "always" remember that a bear is a wild animal and wild animals are unpredictable. It was dumb of me to take this picture. Notice that I was at ground level when I took it and not on my back porch. I was trying to get close to the bear for the photo and that is not a smart thing to do.

qqx1g3.jpg
CloseAsIGet

Isabell I'll say this!, the ride can put one right to sleep. One side (the older one) is bumpty, bumpty, bumpty! If you don't have someone else in the car, all ya want to do is sleep. Not a good thing! The water is so changable and beautiful though, shiny and greenish, or plain gray and choppy, fascinating really. You drove down from Schaumburg? I'm glad you got to see everything before the Hurricane. Nothing will be the same again. Just on the South Shore is Metairie, my old stomping grounds. :)

Yes, We drove from Schaumburg. It was a good ride. Took about 16 hours from our door to the French Quarter.

I know that what I saw is not the same as it is now. It's truely sad. I'm sure someday I'll be back again. I loved the French Quarter. I wished I would've been able to see more of it, and spend more time there looking at the boutiques and walking the Quarter. My husband and I and the kids were there for my SIL's Wedding and it was a bit stressful. Let's just say that the French Quarter really isn't a place for kids. It was really difficult to get around with them after dusk, and I didn't want to stay in the hotel after dark.

I live in Edinburgh at the moment but grew up outside a teeny village called Standburn, which is between Edinburgh and Glasgow.
During last week my pal took pictures from the roof of our flat. We have great views of the castle and Arthurs seat.

ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d169_Ashxyz_IM000885.jpg

ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d169_Ashxyz_sky2.jpg

Looks like a great place Catalyst. Let me know if you can get the sword out of the stone.;)

Yeah its such a change to what it is now! The day after those pictures were taken it snowed and snowed. Its only cleared up today :D

I live in a small city in Norway, called Hokksund.
It's about 1 hour from the capital of Norway, Oslo.
There lives about 9.000 people in my city.
Over view:
kyrfjell-utsikt-02-hokksund.jpg

myrehogget-18utsikt-eiker.jpg

The mainstreet: :p
hokksund10-broenden.jpg

Its a small silence town, but its only 15 minutes to the 7th biggest city (where I work) and only 1 hour to the capital of Norway. Bad things about living in a small place is that almost everyone knows how you are.
I've lived here for all my life, but I might move to another city when Im moving out from my parents. I might move to the city where I work.

Baddie What marvelous pictures! The country side is beautiful. Anonymity is not all its cracked up to be, sometimes its just nice to be where everybody knows you and cares. :)

Lovely pics Baddie!

I used to live in a place where everyone knew you and I loved it. It was so great to walk down the street constantly bumping into people you knew and stopping for a chat. Now, where I live there are so many people that I rarely even see the same people each day on the bus into town. It makes you feel quite insignificant sometimes, lol

pontalba said:
Obscurantism: the practice of deliberately preventing the facts or full details of something from becoming known. /or CDA/ :D
j/k j/k !!.

Like trying to get blood out of a stone:D I'll try working on him again later;)

Steffee this is a really brilliant thread. Such a diverse lot of places people live in and the photos are great. Doing wonders for my geographic knowledge:D

Yeah Poppy, what about you though? Where do you live and what's it like? I'm sure you haven't answered yet... :)

steffee said:
Yeah Poppy, what about you though? Where do you live and what's it like? I'm sure you haven't answered yet... :)

My husband is home sick and keeps hogging the computer, I need to do a fact finding mission on population and just where exactly we are in relation to our nearest city. I just don't KNOW these things OK:D

StillILearn said:
]I think I saw CDA's truck parked outside my house the other day.

Oh, so he does get around then. Hmmmm, we'll pin him down yet:D

Baddie....those are beautiful pictures. that isa lovely place.

Every spring/early summer I pick blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries at a berry patch about 10 minutes from my house. These are pictures taken 'on-the-way" to the berrypatch.

qs5z12.jpg

qs5zra.jpg

qs61c4.jpg

OMG, Muggle..... I just adore those rolling hills. I'm a mountain lover stuck in the flatest land in the country:mad:

Back