• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Which magazines do you read?

We get more magazines than we could ever read also... I always KNOW they won't all get read but still subscribe.

Oprah
Yoga
Maxim
Stuff
and a Recipe one I can't remember the name of.....

Magazines

I subscribe to quite a few...weed out the ones I don't like after the first year runs out...right now I have...

Newsweek
Spirituality & Health
In Britain
Prevention
Biography

New Type which is an anime magazine that is down in english and japanese. You can buy both here in America. I also read Animerica and Animerica Extra... I read some Wizard magazines.... I read fantasy magazines and whatever I see interesting I will buy.

Definitely more than I can keep up with!
Shape
Prevention
Fitness RX
Cooking Light
Nursing 2003
and would like to get Newsweek or Time:p ~Kalley;)

The ones i get every month -

Empire, SFX, Fortean Times, PC Zone

The ones my girlfriend gets that i steal and read when she isnt looking :) -

Cosmopolitan, Real Robots

The ones i get when the mood grabs me -

FHM, Maxim, Hotdog, British Archaeology, National Geographic

I only get SFX now - I've got them all from issue 1. I used to get Empire but the price kept going up and I started disagreeing with most of their reviews, so I packed it in. Sometimes I still buy it if it has a big section on something I'm really interested in (usually Lord of the Rings! :) )

TheDon said:
empire ( the best film mag ever)

I could not agree with you more. I absolutely devour that magazine, I literally read every single letter in the friggin' thing. I tear it to pieces. Love it!

Ahem...

Cheers, Martin :D

I subscribe to BBC History magazine. It generally has a good mix of accessible but intelligent articles, ranging from ancient to twentieth century history. It also has a very good history book review section, which helps keep me up to date with new releases in the genre.

I think we have a shortage of current affairs magazines in the UK, perhaps because the ever expanding weekend newspapers have claimed the territory. The Spectator and New Statesman are too polarised. I occasionally buy the monthly Prospect, but it can be a bit heavy going, not least because of the very small font.

HEre in quebec, I Read the Derniere Heure, very good mag. Also the Walrus, a new canadian mag, in the style of Times. Also PcWorld. the HUB magazine, a free one about electronics, was known as the Ottawa Computes. At last, Literary Calvacade, By scholastics, for the writing hints and Writer information. When I get the opportunity, I grab a Courrier International.
cyaguys

The magazine I've most kept up with for years is Texas Monthly. I wish more mags were like it - current events, history, human interest, photos. Fortunately, Texas is a big state so it has a very large dedicated readership.

When I worked at a bookstore I used to read the british film mags and loved them. But too expensive to buy over here. I make do with Entertainment Weekly.

We also have a Volkswagen obsession and so many, many car magazines. If only car magazine writers' grammar was better.

I also get Popular Science, the last issue was varied and interesting but the 3 before that were obsessed with aviation and talked of nothing else.

I also like the occasional home/decorating magazine. They are always inspirational. I always think, "I could do that! It looks easy!" and then don't do it.

The thing I hate about magazines is that now, since I wrangled a set of very cheap subscriptions, is the way that they stack up. There's nothing that can make you feel as inadequate as a stack of magazines that you need to read before the next set comes in the mail.

Oh, and I will never, ever forget a letter I read in Empire magazine. It was during the whole Star Wars obsession phase before the movie was released, and the letter and response went something like this:

Will you please please please please please (please repeated 25 more times) shut the **** up about Star Wars?

Answer: No.

Hmmm... can't remember that letter, but maybe that was before my time. I've been reading it for 3,5 years now. Love the mag, couldn't do without it!

I agree with the writer of the letter, though!

Cheers, Martin :D

I only buy two magazines nowadays - Webactive and Web User. I used to subscribe to Readers Digest, but ended up with about a years worth lying unread, so gave up on it!

uncut

mojo

total film - occasionall

everything else browsed if i need to timewaste in a supermarket (we all do it ...admit it!!!)

I used to subscribe to a hand full of magazines but found they cut into my time to read books. Now I stick to the most important magazine of all time. That's right, The Hockey News. It has it all. Intrigue, gossip, hi-tech, world events, humor. I ask you, how can a household survive without it in Today's age?

Back