• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Which writer would you choose as a pal?

I think David Sedaris would be a cool neighbor.

Anthony Bourdain would be a good drinking buddy.

You read my mine about David Sedaris.. I was just about to think of something for him.

Anyway, Kurt Vonnegut, would be a great guy to hang out with.

And Faulkner for drinking buddy.

(Assuming they're still alive)

You read my mine about David Sedaris.. I was just about to think of something for him.

Anyway, Kurt Vonnegut, would be a great guy to hang out with.

And Faulkner for drinking buddy.

(Assuming they're still alive)

Don't forget to pick up Hemmingway for the drinking rounds, I'd include F. Scott Fitzgerald as well.

In all seriousness, I'd choose Nabokov. If I was feeling bad and needed someone next to me to feel superior to, I'd pick Saul Bellow.

Edward Abbey

of course after reading John Barleycorn: Alcoholic Memoirs ...jack london seems pretty fun to drink with.

Paula Danziger and Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. =)

And Meg Cabot. She seems like she'd be a great pal.

For serious discussion, Orson Scott Card. J.K. Rowling of course, she's got such a lovely sense of what's "right". Uhm, Nancy Farmer. Haha, so many I can think of.

Diana Gabaldon, Her series have become a soap opera to me and I am waiting for the next one to come out.If she was with me all the time she can just go on and on about the characters!:D

I second a vote for Anthony Bourdain as a travel/drinking buddy.

Alan Furst to run about Europe.

And Carlos Ruiz Zafon for Spain.

I got the ultimate one for you. I'd have Hemingway and Jack London. During the conversation, the two would box it out as both loved the sweet science of boxing. My money would be on London in the fourth round.:cool:

Who to hang out with?

I'd love to have Ray Bradbury for a neighbor. He is so fun and creative plus he has been around a lot and must still have fabulous stories to tell. Kurt Vonnegut for conversations because his mind works in such strange ways Truman Capote, Tennessee Williams to gossip with. Bailey White to laugh with about the South. Plato, Socrates and Aristotle to talk politics with. Scott Fitzgerald and Oscar Wilde to see if I could help them... The list could go on and on....

Fyodor Dostoevky

I would hand him my fat folder of short stories and ask him what he thought of them. Then we would both head to a bar and get blasted on some good vodka while discussing the beauty of Russian women. ;)

A pal or a friend is someone I'd do fun things with, have long conversations whether deep or shallow, not talk "shop" too much, and someone I'd invite to parties. In this respect, I think I'd like to be pals with Lorrie Moore, Donald Barthelme, and Lan Samantha Chang. I'm not sure I could be friends with other authors. Of course, I haven't thought a great deal about this topic, so I reserve the right to change friends later.

Tucker Max. Man, that'd be crazy. He's one of the craziest guys out there, anyway. You'd know that by reading the back of the book "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell" alone (and his upcoming book "Assholes Finish First" will/should be just as good).

Other than him, probably Bill Simmons. I'd probably talk to Simmons about the Celtics for hours.

Back