• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who are you leaning towards?

Maybe she's hoping for the superdelegates to choose her over Obama? Though if most of the people voted for Obama I don't see why the superdelegates would want Hillary to run for president in November.

Superdelegates are supposed to be the Party conscience. What would it mean if Obama gets the popular vote and the delegate votes yet the undeclared superdelegates go for Hillary?

I heard that yesterday, that he has raised sooo much money!

Either way, let's hope things change after Bush. The bad thing is the new president is going to have to deal with all this mess he did.That's going to take a couple of year or more and it's a shame.

Maybe she's hoping for the superdelegates to choose her over Obama? Though if most of the people voted for Obama I don't see why the superdelegates would want Hillary to run for president in November.

Exactly! If you discount the caucus states that he won and count Michigan adn Florida, then yes-she has the most votes and wins. However, there are some big asterisks to put in place there. The two states were told not to beat the early deadline, but they chose to do it anyways. You break the party rules, you pay the price-it's that simple. The republicans said the same thing to all other states as well. I would have a big problem with the superdelegates overturning the popular vote. They are a bastion of the "old guard" party that had to give up some power during the '60s. I don't think they would do it, which has me wondering why she continues this charade.

Alot of people are baffled as to why she is staying. All the morning news today are talking about it.
She said she's staying at least until June 3.

Is she being selfish, hardheaded? why? I mean she can't be that naive as to realize excacly the point you are making?

I too wish that she would withdraw gracefully. If she stays in the Senate she could be very influential there in a Democratic administration. If she wants to leave the Senate, I'm sure she could get some very good appointment in an Obama regime.

All that I can figure out is that she is trying to make a very strong point: that she is not a quitter.

A man had offended the king, and was sentenced to death.
"Oh your majesty!" he pleaded. "Allow me but one year, and I will teach your
horse to talk."
Astonished, the king agreed.
The man's friend took him aside and asked, "why did you make such a foolish
promise?"
The man shrugged. "In a year, the king may die. I may die. The horse may die. Or the horse may talk."

I think she's just waiting him out. Hanging in there in the hope that something happens to derail his campaign - some sort of scandal, a gaffe too many, evidence that people would rather see George Bush Mark 2 in the White House than a black guy, an assassination, who knows? If she's already dropped out, it'd be harder to claim to be the only alternative; if she's still in the race, it'd be hard for any of the superdelegates and other party leaders to take control of things and look for a compromise candidate.

In the meantime they're both spending a lot of money fighting each other when the money would be better spent fighting McCain. I started out supporting Hillary, and in some areas I still think she's the stronger candidate, but I'm just tired of her now.

And you have to respect her for that, no?

It depends.

Is she still in it because she's not a quitter? Is she still in because she's too proud to admit defeat? Is she still in it because she's too stubborn to see she's defeated? Is she still in it because she is hoping a last minute scandal will throw the remaining delegates in her favor?

As of right now, Obama needs 73 delegates and Hillary needs 256. The odds are not looking good for her.

They certainly aren't, especially after Edwards's endorsement of Obama. She was supposed to be the candidates the Edwards supporters would favour, but after he endorsed Obama there's a question mark there as well.

And Al Gore's silence has been quite deafening. The Clinton VP not saying anything in her favour and it's nearly June. Not looking good for her.

It depends.

Is she still in it because she's not a quitter? Is she still in because she's too proud to admit defeat? Is she still in it because she's too stubborn to see she's defeated? Is she still in it because she is hoping a last minute scandal will throw the remaining delegates in her favor?

As of right now, Obama needs 73 delegates and Hillary needs 256. The odds are not looking good for her.

Excellent points.You're smart...................................today! HAHA

The only thing democrats need to consider is that no candidate has ever won the White House without winning a certain portion of the "Reagan Democrat" blue-collar white vote. I think the number is 30%. She has demonstrated that she can win that crowd, at least, a good number of them. Obama's support is mainly in the African-American communities and those with advanced degrees. That is a large number of people, but it also leaves out a huge swath of America. That's exactly the same demographic that supported Dukakis.:eek: That alone, gives me reason to pause and equivocate between who I want to see in the White House.

The only thing democrats need to consider is that no candidate has ever won the White House without winning a certain portion of the "Reagan Democrat" blue-collar white vote. I think the number is 30%. She has demonstrated that she can win that crowd, at least, a good number of them. Obama's support is mainly in the African-American communities and those with advanced degrees. That is a large number of people, but it also leaves out a huge swath of America. That's exactly the same demographic that supported Dukakis.:eek: That alone, gives me reason to pause and equivocate between who I want to see in the White House.

This is my view of things: whoever the Dems end up nominating the Dem voters will vote for with a few exceptions (hopefully they learned their lesson last time about the reality od voting for Third Party candidates). The far right Republicans don't like McCain because he's too soft but the moderate Republicans love him and besides, Hillary is too polarizing to get the moderate Republicans.

If Obama gets the nomination, I see him winning. If Hillary gets it, I predict a McCain victory.

I think Edwards's endorsement of Obama will help with the Reagan Democrats, assuming he needs that help. I agree with Sparkchaser that the Hillary supporters will be more likely to vote for Obama than McCain. They've seen with the current administration that if they vote their "values" rather than their economic interests, they're going to end up getting shafted, and the same is more than likely to happen again if they vote for McCain.

There'll be a few people (I hope no more than a few) who'll vote for McCain because they can't stand the thought of voting for a black guy, but equally there'll be some who'll vote for McCain because they don't want a female president. So I think those two pieces of prejudice will cancel each other out anyway.

This morning they were talking about how terrible it is that McCain is being punished for serving his country, his father and grandfather I think were admirals once.
Instead of being proud.

I gotta wonder, Libra - what news are you watching if they're saying Obama is a muslim and McCain is being punished for having been in the military? I rather got the impression that he owed half of his political career to his (admirable, I suppose) military record?

Back