• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who is your favorite author?

Iam surprised he hasn't been mentioned here:

John Hart

From the suspense thriller genre, there is no one and I mean no one even close to him. He is relatively new with only 4 books under his belt but is the only author to win back to back edgar awards for "Down River" and "The Last Child". The latter I still think is the reference standard for one of the best books of any genre. Ever. Give him a try and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Another author is Gregg Hurwitz. Very under rated and extremely good. His last book "You're Next" is one of the best books I've read so far this year.

tazbum, you would love the Sally Nimitz mysteries if you are a cozy mystery lover. if
you are interested, send me a message and I will reply and give you names of these books.

my favorite mystery authors is a favorite subject with me. Dorothy Sayers, Margery Allingham, Rex Stout, among the oldies. more modern and current authors would include Charles Todd, Anne Perry and Victoria Thompson.

Well. Favorite of all time is, of course Vladimir Nabokov. A close second, almost neck and neck is John Banville. Runners up would have to include Paul Auster, Lawrence Block, God help me, Diana Gabaldon, C.J. Sansom, Henning Mankell, John Hart.............oh well, there are more. But who has time or room. :D

Iam surprised he hasn't been mentioned here:

John Hart

From the suspense thriller genre, there is no one and I mean no one even close to him. He is relatively new with only 4 books under his belt but is the only author to win back to back edgar awards for "Down River" and "The Last Child". The latter I still think is the reference standard for one of the best books of any genre. Ever. Give him a try and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Another author is Gregg Hurwitz. Very under rated and extremely good. His last book "You're Next" is one of the best books I've read so far this year.

Had never heard of him,but read your post and looked him up. I just downloaded "Down River". Now all I have to do is find where I left my kindle.... :sad:

Great idea about taking a poll because it helps in widening one’s choice from the outcomes. My favourite authors are Michael Connely, James Patterson and Roebrt Parker

After reading around quite a bit since the last time I answered this question, I still have to say that my favorite (secular) author remains unchanged.

Vladimir Nabokov.

Mystery-Thriller List of Authors

Has this list of recommendations been consolidated into a webpage? I would like to view the author's name and perhaps a link to the comments ...

My favorites include:
Michael Connelly
John Sandford
Nelson DeMille
Michael Crichton
Dennis leHane
James Patterson
WEB Griffin

Has this list of recommendations been consolidated into a webpage? I would like to view the author's name and perhaps a link to the comments ...

My favorites include:
Michael Connelly
John Sandford
Nelson DeMille
Michael Crichton
Dennis leHane
James Patterson
WEB Griffin

I am a fan of Lehane too. Just got his newest "live By Night". Looking forward to starting it today...

Donald Westlake

I would be hard pressed to pick one favorite, but I do know that I had a hard time picking one genre to read and write within until I re-read The Ax by Donald Westlake. This book can be disturbing but also is very well written. The protagonist is a moral man who feels he must murder his competitors in order to put himself in position to get the job he wants. It's told in first person so we really get into his head. I decided to start writing crime/thriller stories after that. Before I had read all the classics because of their staying power, but I came to realize that the crime stories were what I enoyed the best. In Crime and Punishment, the redemption part is great, but before that the murder and leading up to it had me on the edge of my seat even though I knew what was going to happen. It is little moments like these that truly told me what I like most about reading fiction and since his book was what pushed me in that direction, I thank Mr. Westlake for the inspiration. He also wrote The Hook and The Hunter under the name Richard Stark. This inspired the movie Payback starring Mel Gibson which was one of my favorite movies before I ever read the book.

Back