• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who is your favorite author?

I have many "favorite" authors... depending on my moods>>>
Reginald Hill (Dalziel & Pascoe series), R. D. Wingfield (Inspector Frost), Ann Rule (true crime), Charlotte MacLeod, Anne George, Ruth Rendell... the list goes on and on.
Right now, though, I would have to say my current book is by my (current) favorite author... Jill McGown

Henning Mankell, James Lee Burke, Sue Grafton, Mary Roberts Rinehart, some Agatha Christie, Some Anne Perry, the Russell/Holmes ones of Laurie R. King, Arthur Conan Doyle, Ellery Queen, and now I've discovered Elmore Leonard. I thought I didn't care for him, but when I found out he wrote 52 Pickup I decided I did like him after all. :D

Anyhow, that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Hemingway.jpg

Ernest Hemingway

awww.sennaya.com_images_dostoevsky310.jpg
Fyodor Dostoyevsky

awww.scripophily.com_webcart_vigs_capotepicture.jpg
Truman Capote

stein.jpg

John Steinbeck

ablog.syracuse.com_shelflife_2007_12_jackson.jpg
Shirley Jackson

I also enjoy Marilynne Robinson and Kazuo Ishiguro among others.

_

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Edgar Allan Poe, Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, Thomas Harris, Tami Hoag, Charlaine Harris, and a little Mary Higgins Clark.

Mystery Writers.. for me it's

James Patterson and or Lisa Gardner. Jessica Inclan has a series called Believe that IMO is more mystery than "Romance" and the bookstores try to put her books under that category.

Katherine Mansfield and William Trevor

Katherine Mansfield and William Trevor are my favorite authors. I write short stories, so naturally I'm going to love great short story writers and these are two of the best.

Too true. Katherine Mansfield's work is criminally over-looked these days, although Oxford Classics have a volume of her best out.

I can't help thinking of The Real Life of Sebastian Knight as a great single mystery by my favorite author, Vladimir Nabokov. No bodies, no weapons, no blood, just a great search for a mysteriously missing brother, wonderfully written.

Each is one-of-a-kind, both author and book.

Back