• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who is your favorite fictional character and why?

Mma Ramostwe from No1 Ladies Detective Agency is a star. She's niave and funny, very happy in her own little bubble and quite socially unaware at times.

Contrary to Jane Austen's intention, I absolutly loved Marianne from Sense and Sensibility. I felt dissapointed that her character changed due to her encounters, as I appreaciated her 'acting on impluse' behaviour.

The first character to pop into my head was Dr Hannibal Lecter (From Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal)-Not a nice person, but fascinating all the same.
Felt sympathy for him in Hanniabal when we find out about his childhood (such an unexpected ending, for me at least).
Definately three of the most well written books I've ever read.

In no particular order (well, I guess it's the order in which they appear on my shelf):

Adrian Mole - The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole aged 13 and 3/4
Winnie the Pooh
Pippin - LOTR
Aslan - Chronicles of Narnia
Bill Denbrough - It
R.P McMurphy - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest

I always fall a little bit in love with Augustus McCrae in Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove when I'm reading it.

To say he was my absolute favorite might make a liar out of me, but he is the first character that comes to mind.

I'm so glad I've had the chance to "meet him".

Slacker said:
I always fall a little bit in love with Augustus McCrae in Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove when I'm reading it.

To say he was my absolute favorite might make a liar out of me, but he is the first character that comes to mind.

I'm so glad I've had the chance to "meet him".

How could you not like Gus?! He's an amazing character and I was definitely tearing up during a certain part of that book
:(

Great question!

Tess Durbyfield, can't help having a soft spot for her,
Martin Millar's Ruby,
and Alan Warner's Morvern Callar, gutsy girl!

Favorite Stephen King Characters

:cool: How 'bout some King:

Randall Flagg - The Stand, Dark Tower Series, EOTD, etc.
Pennywise the Clown/Mr. Gray/Bob Gray - It
Mr. Gray and the s**t-weasels - Dreamcatcher
George Stark - The Dark Half, others
Tommyknockers - The Tommyknockers, Desperation, The Regulators
John Coffee - The Green Mile
Ted Brautigam - Hearts in Atlantis, Dark Tower Series, others
The Little Bald Doctors - Insomnia
Mr. Gaunt - Needful Things
Barlow - Salems' Lot
The Fisherman - Black House

And many others...

Raist and Tas

My faforite characters of all time is Raistlin Majere becaus he is intelligent, powerful and all round cool (a bit evil though). Tasselhoff Burfoot The irepressible Kender from the same book because he is funny and a bit similar to myself (always picking things up) :)
"I mean, anyone could just come and blow the door open"- Tas in The Time Of The Twins (Legends S.)

My ultimate favourite character has to be Hercule Poirot, he's so cool! :) Other fav's are:
Severus Snape - Harry Potter books
Morgaine - Mists of Avalon

Female characters:

Terry Goodkind--Cara
Loretta Chase--Jessica Trent
Jane Austen--Elizabeth Bennet

Male characters:

Loretta Chase--Dain
Anne Rice--Lestat de Lioncourt
Fuyumi Soryo--Rei Kashino (manga boy--the ULTIMATE)

Note the absence of Mr Darcy. Yes, I do love him but I read so many historical romances with male characters just as cool as Mr Darcy. In fact, I have tons of favourite fictional characters. I have new crushes on fictional males all the time. But, I decided to be selective and put up Dain.

Jack Stapleton from Robin Cook's works

My favorite character as of right now would have to be Robin Cook's Jack Stapleton. The man is a medical geniuses who chooses to live in perhaps the worst part of New York City, rides a bike to work, and not only plays basketball with the local neighborhood gang, but also double dates with the gangs leader, who consequently ends up saving his life on more than one occasion. Whats not to love about a dedicated death defying doctor?

Oh my God you mean I can only pick ONE??

I've read so many books with great characters I feel like I'd be letting down all my other friends if I only chose one :p

I'll chose a male character and a female character, at least.

Female... right now I think it's Stephanie Plum from Janet Evanovich's hilarious mystery series. Stephanie is a laugh riot, with her gun in the cookie jar, her nervous eye-twitching that develops when she spends too much time with her parents, her two a.m. cravings for Honey Puffs, her total inability to do her bounty-hunter job with any skill, and her incredible luck that enables her to get her man (or woman) anyway... man, it's great.

Male... I like Jack from Stephen King and Peter Straub's The Talisman and Black House. He's an incredibly cool kid, he manages to overcome things at twelve that would have most adults either dead or in a mental hospital, and he never loses his humanity or sense of humor.

Right now, Roland Deschain. It's been so many different characters and will continue to change as I read more.

KristoCat said:
Female... right now I think it's Stephanie Plum from Janet Evanovich's hilarious mystery series. Stephanie is a laugh riot, with her gun in the cookie jar, her nervous eye-twitching that develops when she spends too much time with her parents, her two a.m. cravings for Honey Puffs, her total inability to do her bounty-hunter job with any skill, and her incredible luck that enables her to get her man (or woman) anyway... man, it's great.

Oh i love her, she is hilarious and i wait desperatly for the 11th book...

My favorite female character is Elizabeth Taylor (no not the real one), also called Betsy, which was created by MaryJanice Davidson.
She died but couldn't stay dead, so she woke up as a vampire or better the queen of the vampires... i like her because she doesn't care what other people think, she's funny and she always tries to be nice... :D

My favorite male character (in the moment).. i have to think about that one. :eek:

Hannibal Lecter, without a doubt.

The release of Hannibal gave so much additional understanding and depth to his character, which had been building through Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs. He has mental capabilities beyond the measure of human beings, which make him seem to be a completely different creature altogether. His charm, intelligence, culture, and his weakness for Starling all make him a likable character, an anti-hero, despite the fact he is a cold blooded murderer with no conventional conscience to speak of.

I must confess I wrote my share of Lecter fan fiction when I was younger; there's a whole Internet culture of the stuff. He's just so fascinating, frightening, and sensual all at the same time, it's hard not to become engrossed...if you have the right sort of personality :rolleyes:

myron bolitar - harlan coben novels.
He is smart, witty, humerous and gorgous! if he was real, i would be chasing him

This other character i one i have made up for my own novel. his name is frame. I love him so much! I also find my self thinking about how he views the things im doing. if he is disappointed, happy, proud....

PLENTY of others, but i cant think of them right now
lani

Back