• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who is your favourite author, and why?

I enjoy books by Stephen King, James Patterson, and Nora Roberts. King is just weird enough to make me think, Patterson writes great suspense, and I think Roberts is quite talented, most noticably in her 1990's novels.

Another James Lee Burke fan! - he's my favourite crime author.

My other favourites.

Haruki Murakami
Iain Banks
Jeffrey Ford
many other too numerous to mention

mgarratty said:
Another James Lee Burke fan! - he's my favourite crime author.

My other favourites.

Haruki Murakami
Iain Banks
Jeffrey Ford
many other too numerous to mention

Have you tried Banks SF stuff? It's very good ( if you are into that kind of thing )

I like Nietzsche. I like the way he justifies his arrogance. 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra' renders the Bible obsolete - It's the most encouraging book I ever read.

I don't read much fiction but, I quite liked J.M. Coetzee.

It's strange, but I recently realized I don't read many books by women. But I have just finished "The Secret History" by Donna Tartt and I really would love to see more from her.

On my list:
Ray Bradbury (though his output has waned considerably the past decade)
Thomas Pynchon (though I'm uncertain the man even exists...heheh)
Stephen Dixon
Jonathon Lethem
Nicholson Baker (except for his hateful book Checkpoint)
Russell Banks

Guilty Pleasures:
Caleb Carr (The Alienist, Angel of Darkness)
Owen Parry (The Abel Jones books)
Stephen King (particularly his Dark Tower series)
Dan Brown
Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child (Relic, et al)

For favorite authors, I have three that will always stay on their thrones as authors in my heart.. and one revolving author, following whatever I'm into at the moment.

• Homer, the Blind Poet
  • Professor J.R.R. Tolkien
  • J.K. Rowling

..and

• Harry Turtledove

grav8e said:
It's strange, but I recently realized I don't read many books by women. But I have just finished "The Secret History" by Donna Tartt and I really would love to see more from her.

On my list:
Ray Bradbury (though his output has waned considerably the past decade)
Thomas Pynchon (though I'm uncertain the man even exists...heheh)
Stephen Dixon
Jonathon Lethem
Nicholson Baker (except for his hateful book Checkpoint)
Russell Banks

Guilty Pleasures:
Caleb Carr (The Alienist, Angel of Darkness)
Owen Parry (The Abel Jones books)
Stephen King (particularly his Dark Tower series)
Dan Brown
Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child (Relic, et al)

Ray Bradbury is great and I must read much more of him :)

I see you have a taste for the unconventional and strange? :) Like Lethem, and that's another keep meaning to get more of. I really liked Gun with Occasional Music and Amnesia Moon was good.

I have 2 equally favorite authors, it really is impossible to decide who I like more so I would have to say:

J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter series) and D.J. MacHale (Pendragon series)

I've not heard of D J MacHale, but nip over to the Children's Fiction forum, where Harry Potter has its own sub-forum and fan club! :)

Oh I don't think he writes books for guys. I love his books as does my grandmother. But, I love legal thrillers, and anything to do with courtrooms and law ... an ideal day for me would seriously be watching court tv all day!

This is a tough one.

Tolkien is at the top of the list, as is Shelby Foote, Dean Koontz, Tom Clancey, Clive Cussler, and of course Dan Brown.

Do I have to pick just one?

I've got so many...

Alexandre Dumas (Three Musketeers and it's sequels)
Alice Hoffman (Practical Magic, The Improbable Future, Illumination Night)
Philip Pullman (The Dark Materials Trilogy)
Homer (The Illiad)
David Sedaris (Me Talk Pretty One Day, Naked)

My favorite literary junk food:
Janet Evanovich (Plum series and other assorted fun stuff)

Edited for spelling OOPSIE.

Wow my favorite authors....many great ones out there. I would have to say my favorites are Robert Heinlein, George Orwell, and Ken Follett. C.S. Lewis is also great, and Alexsandr Solzhenitsyn. and Alan Paton, Boris Pasternak, Tolstoy, the list goes on and on.

SillyWabbit said:
Ray Bradbury is great and I must read much more of him :)

I see you have a taste for the unconventional and strange? :) Like Lethem, and that's another keep meaning to get more of. I really liked Gun with Occasional Music and Amnesia Moon was good.

I really enjoyed Motherless Brooklyn by Lethem.
By Bradbury, I really recommend Death Is A Lonely Business, which also has two sequels...but the first was the best. It's an atypical Bradbury...a mystery. Also Green Shadows, White Whale was terrific...semi-autobiographical.

Back