• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who is your favourite author, and why?

I forgot the name of the Author but i do remember the name of the book . Its "Alchemist". the book is very interesting it tells about good and bad omens. moreover, it tells how fate plays with a person. one must read it. i will try to find about its author too. i think its Paulo Coelho.
have any one read it ???

I like and enjoy many authors.

For simple entertainment and because I like his voice and style, I enjoy reading Stephen King.

I hope this does not categorize me as a non-intellectual...

My favourite author gotta be Albert Camus, followed by Chinua Achebe.

I like Camus, because of the introspective nature of his novels. ( I will try to write a small summary based on Camus' fiction seperately).

Achebe is great because he shows in a narration mixed with humour and insight, how the white man with his disease "white man's burden" screwed Africa up (e.g. Things fall apart, Arrow of God), and how in the post-indepence scenario the Africans tend to screw themselves up, due to corruption etc. (No longer at ease, Man of the people).

mohsin, I've read the Alchemist (like many others I am sure), and I liked it immensely. It is very poetic and imaginative. It is mainly about how adequate focus on intuition pays dividends. However I have wondered ever since what the man must be saying in his other novels- the pilgrim, veronica decides to die etc. But I haven't still being able to spend some time reading any of them.

Here are some of my favorites so far. I still have more authors to discover.

Ray Bradbury - his prose is so uniquely his own
Mark Helprin - poetic prose that takes my breath away, and yet oddly easy to read
Robin Hobb- for her sympathetic, believable characters and incredible word-building
Dean Koontz - fast-paced writing that keeps me turning the pages, wondering what will happen next and his character development is not too shabby considering the his books are not long enough to go in-depth
Patricia McKillip - this is ideal fantasy for me, she makes me feel as if I living in a fairy-tale
Vladimir Nabakov - for his command of language and how it should be used and his oddly sympathetic characters
Tom Robbins - mixed metaphors and an offbeat wit that I adore

Many are my favorites but I am a recent fan of a new author named Jim Garland. His book is ready to get published. I have read the first chapter from the net and I found it amazing. The name of the book is "The Practical Guide to Exceptional Living" :innocent:

I like Barry Eisler and James Patterson

Eisler writes in the same genre that I write and always has memorable characters.
James Patterson has the most interesting villains and he's good at keeping you turn the pages.

Axisage. I'm sure you will enjoy all of Ed Mc Bain's 87th precinct novels. There used to be a tv series based on his novels which was great also. Like an early, Homicide life on the Streets.

thanks, amigo. got my first ed mcbain book on the way! ....i ordered "cop hater" - is that the first of the series?

i'll have to take back what i said about john grisham a few posts back. i read "a painted house" and loved it. just really felt immersed in every bit of it. what a pleasant surprise.

ed mcbain is turning out to be just great - "cop hater" is a very good read so far... feels ahead of its time, but maybe that's just in retrospect, lol

harlan the short story writer? a good person? does that mean a friend of yours? ;) i'm curious to check into his work. where could i find some? maybe i'll just google...

i have a friend of a friend just starting out as an author and really enjoyed "rehabilitation," his first half self-published, half indie-published novel - if there is such a thing. author is timothy james brearton. the book was no "great gatsby," but highly entertaining, part detective, part sci-fi.

Jodi Picoult is my favorite, because writes so well. Some best-selling authors, although they are obviously doing something right, do not have such a wonderful mastery of the craft.

Justin, Stephen King is an excellent writer as well...there's nothing non-intellectual about reading his work. ;)

Jodi Picoult is my favorite, because writes so well. Some best-selling authors, although they are obviously doing something right, do not have such a wonderful mastery of the craft.

Justin, Stephen King is an excellent writer as well...there's nothing non-intellectual about reading his work. ;)

I agree that King is a great writer. I threw in the "intellectual" in the King comment because of some earlier posts years ago where many folks criticized king as a hack and I defended his writing. To each his own.

I have not read any of Jodi Picoult, but I have a few friends who enjoy her work. I will have to add her to my TBR list.

And again welcome to TBR!

My favorite book is "The Stand" by Stephen King. I've read it at least twleve times. Stephen King is my favorite author, though I also love J.K. Rowling, Dean Koontz, John Grisham, and some Nora Roberts, to name a few...

George R. R. Martin is my favorite author, but I'm on strike with him until he finishes his current series. He hasn't finished anything in over 5 years. If he won't work then I won't read him.

George R. R. Martin is my favorite author, but I'm on strike with him until he finishes his current series. He hasn't finished anything in over 5 years. If he won't work then I won't read him.

I think he's been real busy with the HBO tv show, which I hope lives up to the books. I've only read the first two though, so I still have enough to read before I'm in your camp. :p

Back