• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Wish List

Martin

So, we know which books are everybody's favourites, and which books all you guys have recently read and/or bought ..

.. but what I want to know is, which books are on your wishlist, in your Amazon-cart?

In other words, which books are you planning on buying (perhaps in the near future, but not neccesarily)?

Here are a couple of mine:
And Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow has been tempting me forever now, but I'm not too sure about that one yet.

So, spill it!

Cheers, Martin :cool:

I actually have a running list of about 100 or so titles that I'd like to read sometime in my lifetime. They're on a spreadsheet where I delete the ones I read and add new ones. But I have an Amazon list, too. ;)

Okay, so these are the books actually on my Amazon Wish list:

Children of God - Mary Doria Russell
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Robert J. Heinlein
Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson
Anvil of Stars - Greg Bear
The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy

Ell

Ah yes, Heinlein - I hear Stranger in a Strange Land is quite good.

In fact, I have this huge word-file on my computer, containing loads of his books and stories, but I can't bring myself to read from my monitor.

Edit: It's a pdf-file, and it contains 54 books, including Stranger in a Strange Land and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, among many others (like Requiem, Starship Troopers, etc.).

Stranger from a Strange Land is excellent! You should read it.

I got the recommendation for The Moon is a Harsh Mistress from someone here on the Book Forum - but alas, I can't remember who it was :eek:

Ell

BTW, Martin. What are you doing still up? Isn't it about 3 a.m. where you are? Or don't you believe in sleep?

Ell :)

Is it not too science fiction-ish?

I hate pages and pages of tech-talk.

Heinlein's a strange beast- different people appreciate different aspects of his work. If you do decide to read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, read the first few pages of it online if you can (possibly on amazon.com) as the writing style Heinlein adopts in this particular book isn't for everyone.

Stranger in a strange land is a good book though.

BTW, Martin. What are you doing still up? Isn't it about 3 a.m. where you are? Or don't you believe in sleep?
No, it's actually 4 AM, and yes, I do believe in sleep.

Long story, about having to work tomorrow night, and staying up late tonight to get used to the strange hours.

Yada yada yada ..

Martin said:
Is it not too science fiction-ish?

I hate pages and pages of tech-talk.

Actually, there's very little tech-talk and quite humourous in parts.

Sorry about having you having to stay up for work :( Used to work my share of nights as a nurse and always felt kind of weird and discombobulated and 'spacey' coming off shift.

Ell

fluffy bunny said:
Heinlein's a strange beast- different people appreciate different aspects of his work. If you do decide to read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, read the first few pages of it online if you can (possibly on amazon.com) as the writing style Heinlein adopts in this particular book isn't for everyone.
Fluffybunny, thanks, I may try that.

PS - you're up late, too! Don't tell me you're working nights?

Ell

Hey I'm an entire hour behind Martin.

I'm on holiday- well 'til Monday (the med school gave us an entire week off after finals last week- how generous :rolleyes: ). Anyway, my time zones are a little off at the mo (has something to do with me reading through the night/going out during the week) :eek:

My Amazon wishlist is full of complete trash. I treat it as a holding pen for bad ideas. I just seem to get into this frenzy of book buying delirium. I hop from one book to the next through convoluted channels and some days I reach the point where everything looks good. But part of me knows that it really isn't, so I add them to my wish list rather than my basket, so when I'm feeling less in the zone I can go through and check whether or not they're actually worth the money.

It'll start off with a search, and then I'll make the mistake of trawling through what other people bought, and that will take ages, and then I'll be all lost and confused, but they know that, and that's when they start hitting with listomania. There is some good stuff in there, but I insist on a lengthy quarantine period.

I store books in my Amazon basket over time. I sometimes put books in there that I am not sure about. Books get added or deleted and then finally I buy. I think this list now is pretty final. I just need to add two more books and then will order them :)

Anyway, here is what I have

The Doomsday Brunette by John Zakour
Kiss of the Spider Woman by Munuel Puig
Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
The Wind Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami
The Scar by China Mieville
Three Hearts and Three Lions by Poul Anderson

:)

Now I just have to add 2 more books!

Regards
SillyWabbit

1984 by George Orwell
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Both because they come highly recommeded and i dont believe ive never read them!! :)

Phil

I just keep a running list of things to watch for at the used book store:

McCarthy's Bar (was our March book selection, am running a bit behind)
The Jane Austen Book Club
the new A.S. Byatt
Several new ones by Mercedes Lackey (I always wait for the paperback, but it's hard.)
Through Wolf's Eyes by Jane Linkskold (have the sequel, want to read the other one first)
Sacred Stones Trilogy by Moyra Caldecott - would pick up her non-fiction, too, if I came across it
that collection of Short shories by Neil Gaiman
Legends 2 (includes a story by Gaiman)
Any Christina Dodd books I'm missing (fave romance author)

Probably more, I should really write the whole list down somewhere. I need to pick up War and Peace, too, since that's the BOTM this month.

1984 by George Orwell
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Yeah. I keep telling myself to buy some of those classics, but I always end up buying the modern stuff.

I do have a nice little row of 12 Penguin Classics; Robinson Crusoe, Dracula, Gulliver's Travels, Tom Jones, etc...

I have some wishlists in my book mags, I put the stars that mean I plan to buy these books. I haven't got Amazon wishlist. Is it free to use the Amazon wishlist?

Back