• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

World Cup: Discussion

Here's the latest FIFA ranking:
1 Brazil
2 Czech Republic
3 Netherlands
4 Mexico
5 USA
5 Spain
7 Portugal
8 France
9 Argentina
10 England
11 Nigeria
11 Denmark
13 Italy
14 Turkey
15 Cameroon
16 Sweden
17 Egypt
18 Japan
19 Germany
20 Greece
21 Tunisia
22 Uruguay
23 Iran
23 Croatia
25 Romania
26 Costa Rica
27 Colombia
28 Senegal
29 Poland
29 Korea Republic
31 Republic of Ireland
32 Côte d'Ivoire
33 Paraguay
34 Saudi Arabia
35 Switzerland
36 Morocco
37 Russia
37 Bulgaria
39 Ecuador
40 Norway
41 Slovakia
42 Honduras
42 Australia
44 Serbia and Montenegro
45 Ukraine
46 Jamaica
47 Trinidad and Tobago
48 Ghana
49 Finland
49 Israel
http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index/0,2548,All-May-2006,00.html

The ranking is a bit weird and funny, don't you agree with me?

- from the top five, only two countries are European and they don't include Germany, England, Italy, Spain, France...!

- Italy is ranked 13? Germany ranked 19??

- USA has a better rank than Spain, Portugal, France, Argentina, England, Italy, Turkey, Cameroon, Sweden, Germany ???

By the way, Lebanon is rank 122 ;)

Samerron said:
The ranking is a bit weird and funny, don't you agree with me?

- from the top five, only two countries are European and they don't include Germany, England, Italy, Spain, France...!

- Italy is ranked 13? Germany ranked 19??

- USA has a better rank than Spain, Portugal, France, Argentina, England, Italy, Turkey, Cameroon, Sweden, Germany ???

By the way, Lebanon is rank 122 ;)

The clue is in how the rankings are worked out.

The only weighting factor used is in regional strength..

For 2005, the following weighting factors will apply:

* UEFA x 1.00
* CONMEBOL x 0.99
* CAF x 0.96
* CONCACAF x 0.94
* AFC x 0.93
* OFC x 0.93

...and there's not much difference at that. No account is taken of the actual quality of opposition, so a 1-0 win against Italy is rated no higher than a 1-0 win against San Marino.

Edit: Or to give an even better example, a 1-0 win against San Marino would improve your ranking more than a 1-0 win against Brazil.

So America & Mexico, who play a lot of games in their region against fairly week teams end up with a high ranking.

Why they have this kind of weakness in the system I don’t know, there are other sports, cricket being an example, where relative strength of opposition is applied to rankings without the formula becoming overly complicated.

Regards,

K-S

France-Switzerland was one of the dullest games I've ever seen. Can't someone just put Zidane on a parkbench somewhere and have him feed some pigeons?

Just watched a very ordinary looking Brazil take three points off of an unlucky Croatia; they did deserve something from this game. Just wish the commentators would stop fawning over the Brazilians non-stop. :(

Croatia were unlucky. The only way to get anything out of a game against Brazil is to just close them down and try not to let them play. They did this for much of the first half with success, until of course, Brazil scored near the end of the first half.

Croatia came out with a bit more of a positive outlook. They pushed forward much more and seemed to have a lot more chances than Brazil did. Brazil are still the most skilful side that have played so far in this tournament (although I've not seen the two o'clock ko games). The ball control of every player cannot be compared to another team. That alone will not get them to the final of this tournament, though. Most teams will approach Brazil in the same way as Croatia, and they have to be more prepared for that.

I was unimpressed with France earlier too. They looked uninterested at times and not a patch on what they were two years ago, and indeed in the last world cup. There's still time though.

Croatia should go through anyway - Australia and Japan shouldn't be a match for them.

So far, the only "favourites" to look even mildly impressive over 90 minutes are Germany and the Czechs - and Germany played Costa Rica and the Czechs are going to be half a team without Koller, so I'm not sure if that counts for anything. All of the others have shown some great moves, but ultimately struggled for their 3 points. So unless all of the big teams have been masking their true form, we could be in for a very interesting competition. (And yes, I know it's early days yet... humour me.)

beer good said:
France-Switzerland was one of the dullest games I've ever seen. Can't someone just put Zidane on a parkbench somewhere and have him feed some pigeons?

I found Zidane to be one of the better players in the french attack. He pretty much set up all the chances france had. Henry, as usual for the national side is only a shadow of what he is for Arsenal. Vieira pretty much did nothing at all, but he might not find his place when he has Makelele beside him. Makelele was the only one that impressed me in the french team. I dont think the french coach will keep his job for long.

It had to laugh at the Swiss player that tried to do a "hand of god". Not only did he miss the goal but he ruined a almost certain goal from his teammate coming in behind him.

Phew. That was cutting it close. But Sweden beat Paraguay, which means we just have to draw England to be absolutely sure of advancing...

And also, Ecuador advanced, which means there's no risk of us having to play Costa Rica in the second round. Thank God for that.

England didn't look too impressive tonight either, though. But no one really has, so far. Let's get this first round over with so we can see some proper football...

True. It's really difficult to play to your strengths when the opposition put all their team behind the ball; you have to keep plugging away until you get the cross and finish inch perfect just as Sweden and England did today. I'm sure their match against each other should bring more open play and a chance for each team to prove their particular strengths.

crouchwalks.jpg

aimage.guardian.co.uk_sys_images_Guardian_Pix_if_2006_06_15_20060615_if.jpg

If Peter Crouch had the metabolism of Ronaldo, you’d have someone rivalled in size only by Oliver Kahn’s mouth:

tys_oliver_kahn_290.jpg

I bet you could get an entire melon in there, if you patted it in with a baseball bat. Time well spent too...

Felt sorry for the Ivorians tonight. They deserved a point.

Felt even more sorry for anyone who paid to see Mexico vs Angola. Zzzzzzzzz.

The Ivorians were very good, and I actually felt sorry they were kicked out too.

But I enjoyed the Argentina match tremendously - lovely lovely second goal.

Don't know about the fuss surrounding Messi, though.

ds

Direstraits: The Ivorians were very good, and I actually felt sorry they were kicked out too.

Me too, I enjoyed that match the most so far.

But I enjoyed the Argentina match tremendously

I didn't enjoy watching Argentina get all those goals. But then I'm biased.:D

Ghanas just missed a penalty! The Czech & Ghana match has been pretty good. A nice change from Englands sluggish tempo :rolleyes:

Octopus.jpg

DIRE.

Go Ghana! 2-0 against the Czechs, and it could easily have been both 3-0 and 4-0 at the end. Now let's see them beat the yanks as well. :)

Funny pictures guys...
By the way, I really enjoyed Portugal against Iran. Both teams played very well, but Iran diserved atleast a goal, but a fair game...

Beforethe World Cup started, England Player Rio Ferdinand 'pranked' some of his England team mates, here are some of the videos - they're funny but for the wrong reasons;

Wayne Rooney

David Beckham

David James

Peter Crouch

Ashley Cole

J. Terry & Sean W.Phillips

Anybody else want to slap Rio "you got merk'ed" Ferdinand silly?

Back