• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Would you participate in this book group?

Would you participate in this book group?

• Total voters
I've read Portrait before, still have to read the others. I'll never be able to read someone else's recommendations though, my reading schedule is too busy for that.

I've read Portrait before, still have to read the others. I'll never be able to read someone else's recommendations though, my reading schedule is too busy for that.

It does look like you'll be tied up this semester. Hang in there though. Winter Break is on the horizon....so I hear!

Polly, I read all of your Anglo-American modernism books except the anthology. Great reads, every single one of them. Of your medieval classics, I read five of them. My enjoyment of the medieval books was stunted because I had to do some of those excruciatingly painful "compare and contrast," "discuss the themes," "explain the foreshadowing" papers on them. My idea of hell is littered with papers like that.

OK...there will be more books in the modernist literature section and I don't know what I've to read for Old English lit yet. But I do have the full list for medieval classics.

Anglo-American Modernism
  • Modernism Rainey, Lawrence (anthology)
  • A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man James Joyce
  • A Passage to India E.M. Forster
  • To the Lighthouse Virginia Woolf
  • The Sound And The Fury Faulkner, William
  • Good Soldier Ford, Ford Madox
  • The Wings of the Dove Henry James

Medieval Classics
  • Beowulf Heaney, Seamus
  • Two Lives of Charlemagne Notker The Stammerer; Einhard
  • The Saga of the Volsungs Jesse L Byock
  • Tristan with the Surviving Fragments of the Tristran of Thomas Gottfried Strassburg
  • Reinaert de Vos R. van Daele (Reynard cycle)
  • Arthurian Romances Chretien, de Troyes/ Owen, D. D. R.
  • Parzival Wolfram Eschenbach
  • Middelnederlandse tekstedities, Het leven van de heilige bisschop Sint Ludger (The life of the holy bishop Saint Ludger)
  • Romance Of The Rose Meun, Jean De; Lorris, Guillaume De
  • Divine Comedy; Inferno Dante Alighieri
  • The Decameron Giovanni Boccaccio
  • The Canterbury Tales Geoffrey Chaucer

I'll probably have to do similar papers and an exam. For Old English lit I'll have to do lots and lots of grammar, not fun. Shame, because I actually like reading the texts.

So sorry, Polly; that M.E. reading list would put me to sleep for the semester. In fact, several did. Unless it's your preferred period, of course.
Rosemarie

Ouch, a mandatory course. Please don't tell us it is taught by Prof. Splitfoot.

As you can see, we're champing at the bit to begin, Sparks.

There you go, Polly, "champing," from the Middle English champioun, combatant, athlete, from Old French champion, from Medieval Latin campiō, campiōn-, from Latin campus, field. Stick with us, and we'll have you sleeping and littering your way through your classes without any problems.

It's not; it's a mandatory course.

Ouch, a mandatory course. Please don't tell us it is taught by Prof. Splitfoot.

As you can see, we're champing at the bit to begin, Sparks.

There you go, Polly, "champing," from the Middle English champioun, combatant, athlete, from Old French champion, from Medieval Latin campiō, campiōn-, from Latin campus, field. Stick with us, and we'll have you sleeping and littering your way through your classes without any problems.

Nah, just some old fogy I think, but he ought to be able to stop the entire class from falling asleep.
I've managed to avoid the one professor I cannot stand.:whistling:

I really like this idea but it wouldn't be easy for me to participate since I would probably have a hard time getting my hands on the suggested books. Oh well, have fun.

I'm going to kick this off sometime this week.

OK, so on the train to Linz I decided to do the matches. Long story short, I didn't think my clever plan all the way through and ran into some unforeseen issues that are easy to resolve with TECHNOLOGY! (or a printer).

I am still aiming for this week.

Back