• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Would you participate in this book group?

Would you participate in this book group?

• Total voters
That makes me feel much better, I'd hate to be the frustrating one who holds things up. :)

It's more about broadening your horizons than about a lengthy book discussion afterwards. You'd be the only one reading that book, and when you've finished you can post about if you liked it/hated it, if you think you'll read more books from that genre, blah, blah, blah. But as there's not a whole group reading the same book at the same time, you don't have to worry about avoiding the thread so you don't see spoilers, or finally finishing your book and posting your thoughts only to find that everyone else has moved on to talking about the next month's book.

Your book buddy will no doubt be interested in reading your thoughts, and everyone else will be interested in reading your review of a book they may not have read themselves, but there's no one to leave hanging except yourself if you're not a fast reader.

Ok if I can specify up front I have no interest in romance, or finance. I am in. I find its easy to overcome a lack of interest in a topic when the author is passionate about it and writes well. Unless of course its a COMPLETE lack of interest in the topic, like when the boys at work start talking politics, and as much as they feel their topic I just want to scream.

Oh I read mysteries (mostly modern, detective and police procedural) thrillers, and Sci Fi, True crime, and a few cook books, and comic strip collections.

OK, looks like this is a go.

Now to hammer out the details.

This is what I am thinking we will do:

1. Participants, i.e., those that voted YES, will be contacted by me and asked the following questions:

• What genres do you currently like to read?
  • What genres do you have an interest in that you are not reading?
  • What genres do you refuse to read?
  • Any other thing I need to know?

2. Once I receive replies from the participants, I'll create a spreadsheet or something to keep track of the information then pseudorandomly assign genre swap partners and post the matches in a thread. You will then contact each other and recommend a book which you will read.

3. After reading the book, all I ask is that you make a short post in the thread that contains the following information:

• did you finish the book? If not, why not.
  • did you like it?
  • would you be interested in reading more of that genre/author?

4. That's it. No review or anything like that required. Easy as pie.

I figure once we get 75/80% of the participants to reply to the thread, we will take a short hiatus then do it again. I am thinking about making this a Quarterly thing so it can accommodate everyone's regular reading.

Does this sound OK? Any comments/suggestions/questions?

Ok, I'll give it a try. It appears I'm not the only one a trifle concerned about holding up the group. Looks like if I'm a bit slow, I won't hurt anything. So I'm game.
I'm currently reading SHOOTERS AND CHASERS by Lenny Kleinfleld. I know I won't pick up a financial type how-to, so don't even suggest it. I haven't enjoyed science fiction when I've tried to read it. But I can't really say what I would flat-out refuse to read. So, I'm game...
Kathy

I think would be good diea but not easy for me as I ohardly ever get new books here. Get books from library and used book store and sometimes I can find new books but I have tried to find some new books mentioned on forum and cannot.

Just a few quickies and if they were covered and I missed them, I apologise in advance.

Do you get a new "partner" every quarter? I think that would be for the best.

Do we have a timeframe for when it will kick off?

And what will it be named to differentiate it from the BOTM Book Club? The BAR Genre Swap was mentioned in the other thread - sorry, just finished reading that one!

I am excited!

The End. (hehehe)

Excellent questions!

Yes, each "round" will get you a new partner.

I'd like to get is started by the middle of August.

As far as names go, I was going to call it either Litany's Shamelessly Stolen Genre Swap Group or Litany's Genre Swap. I am open to suggestions, especially from Litany since I am intent on using her name.

The Litany rocks so hard we named a book group after her and send her £50 at the start of every month group.

Back