• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Would you read a series of books that are more then 30 in it?

smblomker

There are so many series out there. I don't think I would read a series that has more then 20, let alone more then 30 books in the series. Sometimes they just get to be to much like some of the others and nothing is added or changed.

Would you continue to read a series with over 30 book in it?

The Discworld series is pushing forty books. So far as I can tell, Terry Pratchett has still kept readers satisfied. It must help that his series lacks a specific main character. But yeah, he's one writer who can successfully manage a series of 20 or more books.

Depends on the book. I may quite happily read a detective series. I don't think I would be able to read any other type of series of such epic proportions though.

It would depend on my level of interest. There is a 27 volume set by Jules Romains called Men of Good Will that has intrigued me ever since seeing parts of it in my branch library as a youngster. Quoting the editorial review on amazon, "The work was an attempt to re-create the spirit of French society from Oct. 6, 1908, to Oct. 7, 1933," the eve of one war to the eve of the next.

So, maybe someday I'll get to it, as I get more interested in the period.

Also, Vladimir Nabokov wrote 16 or 17 novels, all of them interesting, at least to me. (And I have read all but one.)

In addition, Ross MacDonald has written quite a few detective stories that had me hooked until I could find no more to read. I don't know how many that was.

So, yes, I could imagine doing it, for the right author.

I agree with most here - it depends, but I'm leaning towards 'no'. Series tends to imply genre, and anything over 5 is definitely pushing it if the author is sub-par. I loved the early Wheel of Time, then faded badly somewhere in Book 7. I was on a Jim Butcher diet for a short while, but after book 4 of Dresden Files I realized that they really are too much alike in tone to sustain me for further readings (yes, *4* books. I took that long to figure that out).

On the other hand, I loved my Sherlock Holmes stories. I'm only missing 1 novel and 2 short story collections to complete my full Sherlockian canon education.

Oh wait, did you include comics too? Inherently a series, that one. :)

I join my voice to the ones of two others before me when I say Terry Pratchett's Discworld.

The very idea that an author could become dull simply because of having read a certain number of his/her books seems preposterous to me. If they can keep me satisfied to the point where I read more than two or three of their books and if their style does not deteriorate (usually it improves) I will read any number of works from a single writer.

I have to agree with Polly, above. Detective series are mostly the only genre of series I have stuck with through thick and thin. However. I find that at a certain point the author simply peters out. An example is Sue Grafton's alphabet series. I finally threw in the towel at S is for Silence. The series simply played itself out for me.

I'm only about 11 into James Lee Burke's series featuring Dave Robicheaux, but I haven't felt like picking one up in over a year now. So, maybe I'm tired of that one too, in spite of his excellent writing skills.
I do wonder how long readers would have kept up with the Dragon Tattoo series, had Larsson lived.

In the interest of honesty, I have to admit to owning a couple of hundred Star Trek (of various series), but finally, that too became same ole, same ole.

As long as Sharyn McCrumb cranks out books for her Ballad series, I'll read them. They don't have to be read in order, and the main recurring character ties things together without being the main attraction. Each book could stand alone as the stories are not related at all to previous installments.

Actually....I found the first two volumes-in-one on Amazon for a verra reasonable price. Thanks DS. :cool:

That would mean you've gotten the Cordelia's Honor? The second book in that volume (Barrayar) won the Hugo Award (sorta like the Oscars of SF), and deservedly so.

You've got to tell me how you like it.

That would mean you've gotten the Cordelia's Honor? The second book in that volume (Barrayar) won the Hugo Award (sorta like the Oscars of SF), and deservedly so.

You've got to tell me how you like it.

Yes, that is it. It combines Shards of Honor and Barrayar. I've printed out that list in the wiki article. :) I might get to it this month, not sure yet. I'm just starting Cryptonomicon, and have Ghost Light by Frank Rich next in line.
I'll let ya know.

Back