• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Your Best Books of '09

shadforth

Read 57. Monthly Faves:

Jan: The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent
Feb: Reading In The Dark by Seamus Deane
Mar: Shadows On Our Skin by Jennifer Johnston
Apr: The Clearing by Tim Gautreax
May: A Time To Love And A Time To Die by Erich Maria Remarque
June: Spin by Robert Charles Wilson
July: Company Of Liars by Karen Maitland
Aug: Peace Like A River by Leif Enger
Sep: A Whispered Name by William Brodrick
Oct: City Of Thieves by David Benioff
Nov: Dissolution by C.J Sansom
Dec: Never Stand Alone by Janet Macleod Trotter

And The Winner:

1 Peace Like A River by Leif Enger
2 The Clearing by Tim Gautreax
3 City Of Thieves by David Benioff
4 Company Of Liars by Karen Maitland
5 Shadows On Our Skin by Jennifer Johnston

Classic: All Quiet On The Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
Crime/Thriller: Black River by G.M Ford
Fantasy: The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue
Historical: Company Of Thieves by Karen Maitland
Sci-fi: Spin by Robert Charles Wilson

It's the 1st time I've kept a list of this scale and the most books read in one year,and I've enjoyed it.

The Classicheavyweight

Lawrence Durrell-Justine/Balthazar
Umberto Eco-The name of the rose
Isaac Bashevis Singer - The Slave
Mika Watari-Nuori Johannes
Evelyn Waugh-Brideshead Revisited
Miklos Banffy-They were found wanting
Marguerite Yourcenar-A coin in nine hand
Marguerite Yourcenar-Alexis-Le coup de graceRomain Gary-La vie devant soi(Momo)

Tha all American boys

Richard Yates-Revolutionary roadPhilipe Roth-Americain Pastora
Jim harrison-A good day to die
Larry Brown-Father and son

The odd ones
Pierre Michom- The origine of the world
Alberto Moravia-Two-a phallic novel
Torgny Lindgren-The way of the snake
Arto Paasilinna-The year of the hare
Penelop Fitzgerald-The Blue flower

The Fictional Non fiction
Amin Maalouf-Identités Meurtières
Joane Didion-The year of magical thinkingBruce Chatwin-In Patagonia

Good fun
Richard Stark-Comebackand all the Westlake really
Chester Himes-Real cool killer
Patrick Rambaud-The exile

miscellaneous

Jacques spitz-the eye of purgatory
Colm Toibin-The master
Per Petterson-Out stealing Horses
Charif Majdalani-The history of the big house

Of 44 read, these were the enjoyable experiences of the year:

Clarice Lispector - The Stream of Life. Definitely first!

William Harmon, Ed. - The Classic One Hundred Poems

Bernard Beckett - Genesis

Samuel Beckett - Waiting for Godot

Philip Roth - Ghost Writer

J.D.Salinger - Franny and Zooey

Daniel Keyes - Flowers for Algernon

Only managed 35 books last year, and I can't even truly say that any one stood head and shoulders above the others, but here are some favorites:

Death in Venice by Thomas Mann 4/5 would have been 5/5, but for the [to me] somewhat stilted beginning.

The Queen of the South by Arturo Perez-Reverte 5/5

In The Country of Last Things by Paul Auster 4/5

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows 4/5 A happy surprise for me.

The Cryptographer by Tobias Hill 4/5

Rogue Male by Geoffrey Household 5/5

The Deadwood Beetle by Mylene Dressler 5/5

An Artist of the Floating World by Kazuo Ishiguro 5/5

An Echo in the Bone By Diana Gabaldon finally a 5/5...there were a couple of hundred pages in the middle that had me wondering, but the ending was brilliant!

Dixie City Jam by James Lee Burke 5/5

I read that too and thought it was very very good.

I find I like Auster more and more after what for me was a weak start with New York Trilogy. I could only finish the first part, and it left me colder than cold. I was reluctant to even try another Auster, but slowly did and I've enjoyed several of his.

General Fiction:

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Girl in a Swing by Richard Adams
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
A Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin
Freddy and Fredricka by Mark Helprin
Memoir From Antproof Case by Mark Helprin
Lord Byron's Novel: The Evening Land by John Crowley
The Stranger by Albert Camus
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

Fantasy:

Little, Big by John Crowley
The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
Winter Rose by Patricia McKillip
The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillip
The Tawny Man Trilogy by Robin Hobb
Jurgen by James Branch Cabell

Science Fiction:

The Door Into Summer by Robert A Heinlein
The City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke
Solaris by Stanislaw Lem

I hope I didn't forget any good ones.

Of 44 read, these were the enjoyable experiences of the year:

Daniel Keyes - Flowers for Algernon
Glad to hear you enjoyed this one. :) It has been a favorite of mine for years, and still maintains it's position in my top 10 reads of all time.

I find I like Auster more and more after what for me was a weak start with New York Trilogy. I could only finish the first part, and it left me colder than cold. I was reluctant to even try another Auster, but slowly did and I've enjoyed several of his.

I started with The Brooklyn Follies, which wasn't great, but it made me want to read more because his style is very good. Then I read The Book of Illusions which was one of the strangest stories I've ever read, but it was completely engaging. I generally don't like books told in first-person, but he does it perfectly.

I can't remember all the books I read this year, but i GUARANTEE the best was....
Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy!!!!!!!!!!:star5:!!!!!!!!!!:star5:!!!!!!!!!!
maybe the best book I have ever read.

Not a hugely productive reading year for me, but here's all that I read. I might be forgetting one or two. The George R.R. Martin books slowed me down. Not that they were hard to read, but they're just really damn long.

Of these, I'd say that the three best were Random Family, The Book of Illusions and The Sign for Drowning with Random Family probably being number 1.

Train – Pete Dexter
The Sign for Drowning – Rachel Stolzman
A Clash of Kings – George RR Martin
The Book of Illusions – Paul Auster
The Reserve – Russell Banks
In the Country of Last Things – Paul Auster
Plainsong – Kent Haruf
Seize the Day – Saul Bellow
A Game of Thrones – George RR Martin
A Lesson Before Dying – Earnest Gaines
Confessions of an Economic Hitman – John Perkins
Random Family – Adrian Nicole LeBlanc

Of these, I'd say that the three best were Random Family, The Book of Illusions and The Sign for Drowning with Random Family probably being number 1.

^^ Definitely one of my favorite Auster's.

Moon Palace, Man in the Dark, and In the Country of Last Things were the others of his I've enjoyed. I have his new one, unread as of now.

Glad to hear you enjoyed this one. :) It has been a favorite of mine for years, and still maintains it's position in my top 10 reads of all time.

Hi Libri Vermis,
If you enjoyed Flowers for Algernon, then perhaps you might also enjoy Genesis by Bernard Beckett -- different from the Beckett, Samuel, who is much more difficult. Genesis is a nice, human-sized sci-fi tale for the far-out robotized future. A very imaginative take on the subject, at least against my relatively slight reading of sci-fi.

Man, this was tricky. Whatever I write, it feels like I'm leaving something out or including something I can't quite explain why it's so great. But anyway.

10 new(ish) books I'll remember from 2009, which doesn't necessarily mean the 10 most objectively great:

2666 - Roberto Bolaño (CHI)
In a small industrial town in Mexico, someone is butchering women. Brutally, repeatedly, and luckily - since it means everyone can blame everything on this one monster and not have to think about what the 20th century has done to all of us, physically, ideologically, culturally. 2666 sprawls over 80 years, dozens if not hundreds of protagonists, a handful of seemingly unconnected plots, and still manages to be frighteningly on point. Completely deserving of the hype.

Atemschaukel (All I Possess I Carry With Me) - Herta Müller (GER)
The Nobel isn't necessarily proof of a great writer. Writing something like this, however, is. Atemschaukel isn't a light read, but probably an essential one, taking the day-to-day life in a hard labour camp as its starting point (without ever making it less than real) to show how language itself can both limit us and open up brand new ways of seeing the world - but also how difficult it can be to simply go back again.

Pride And Prejudice And Zombies - Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith (GBR/USA)
Is it silly? Beyond all measure. Does Grahame-Smith manage to replicate Austen's prose? Nowhere near. Is it fun? You bet. And what's more, it's still Pride And Prejudice; the zombies don't destroy the story, they just amplify (or exaggerate, if you will) it.

The Patience Stone – Atiq Rahimi (AFG)
Like Johnny Get Your Gun from the other side; a wife sits at the bedside of a paralysed Taliban soldier, refusing to read prayers over him anymore until he answers some questions she has; and since he cannot say anything, she tries to answer them herself... Before, and after, is war.

The Restless Supermarket - Ivan Vladislavic (RSA)
It's the dying days of apartheid. In a café in Joburg sits the world's greatest crossword puzzle solver, old, white and armed with a dictionary, watching in horror as everyone suddenly starts changing things. Oediomatics, he calls it; they're fucking up their mother tongue. Why won't anyone listen to him? It's his privilege to decide what words mean, after all...

The Graveyard Book – Neil Gaiman (GBR)
Gaiman tackles The Jungle Book, turning it into a horror story which – as always with Gaiman – is about more than mere monsters and good vs evil.

Fun Home – Alison Bechdel (USA)
A memoir in the form of a graphic novel. At first, it seems "just" a coming out story, growing up gay and finally realising it – only to realise that your father has been living the same lie his entire life. But also an unabashed yet critical love letter to literature and the memoir form itself; of needing to pick apart the stories we unwittingly tell about ourselves in order to know what stories we want to tell. Beautiful.

Inherent Vice – Thomas Pynchon (USA)
Pynchon takes on the hard-boiled detective novel and somehow turns it into the search for what killed mystery, dreams and alternatives as the flowery 60s head into the cynical 70s – and of course, the 00s into the 10s. And like Eastwood in Gran Torino, he both builds on and tears down his own myth in the process.

Senselessness – Horacio Castellanos Moya (SLV)
A hilarious, dark comedy about a very unfunny subject; a journalist is hired to edit a collection of testimonies about atrocities committed during a civil war in an unnamed Central American country. And as much as he admires the colourful language these plucky natives use, he soon starts to realise that everyone who committed the crimes has been pardoned in the name of forgive and forget, and they may all be after the most important person here: him. Constantly turns the tables on any reader who tries to dismiss it as just a hilarious, dark comedy about a very unfunny subject.

The Death of Bunny Munro – Nick Cave (AUS)
It's funny how little it takes to turn the typical middle-age misunderstood sex-obsessed male novel protagonist into a complete monster – and then make him so pathetic you almost have to pity him. Nick Cave digs into his darkest corners (the ones that made him write murder ballads for 20 years) and comes up with howlingly funny and very bitter broadside. Lolita on MTV.

Five old(ish) books, excluding re-reads:
Jerusalem - Selma Lagerlöf (SWE)
We Have Always Lived In The Castle - Shirley Jackson (USA)
Closely Observed Trains - Bohumil Hrabal (CZE)
Persepolis I-IV - Marjane Satrapi (IRN)
Pride And Prejudice – Jane Austen (GBR)

Five non-fiction:
Invisible Republic: Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes – Greil Marcus
The World Without Us – Alan Weisman
Shakespeare – Bill Bryson
Iran Awakening – Shirin Ebadi
Bad Vibes: Britpop And My Part In Its Downfall – Luke Haines

Clear winner for me was:

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Honorable mention:

The Brooklyn Follies - Paul Auster (mainly because I enjoyed his writing style)

^^ Definitely one of my favorite Auster's.

Moon Palace, Man in the Dark, and In the Country of Last Things were the others of his I've enjoyed. I have his new one, unread as of now.

He's high on my list of to-be-read.

The Lathe of Heaven - Ursula K. Le Guin
The Terror - Dan Simmons
The Wasp Factory - Ian Banks
City of Thieves - David Benioff
Maus - Art Spiegelman
The Frontiersmen - Allan W. Eckert

Hi Libri Vermis,
If you enjoyed Flowers for Algernon, then perhaps you might also enjoy Genesis by Bernard Beckett -- different from the Beckett, Samuel, who is much more difficult. Genesis is a nice, human-sized sci-fi tale for the far-out robotized future. A very imaginative take on the subject, at least against my relatively slight reading of sci-fi.

Peder,

Thank you for suggestion. I will definitely check it out.

Back