• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Your eBay watch / bought list

Ebay

Any other ebay users here? I've just sorted out a paypal account, and I'm happily bidding away. I've already recieved a cassette adapter for my soon-to-be Mp3 player (which has 1 day 16 hours left) and I'm thinking of bidding on a couple of posters for my new room.

What have you bought recently?

I have used Ebay a few times and have been pleased with the merchandise so far. The bidding can be frustrating because often someone will watch an item very closely then bid at the last 7 seconds or so and you'll lose what you thought you surely won. Of course that's perfectly "legal" and actually a great strategy but just be aware that you may get your heart broken once in a while. Of course you can use this tactic too:D

I've used Ebay mostly for collectible items and old toys from my chilhood that I could display in my office at the hospital. You know to add some joy to the work day. Happy bidding!

drmjwdvm said:
I have used Ebay a few times and have been pleased with the merchandise so far. The bidding can be frustrating because often someone will watch an item very closely then bid at the last 7 seconds or so and you'll lose what you thought you surely won. Of course that's perfectly "legal" and actually a great strategy but just be aware that you may get your heart broken once in a while. Of course you can use this tactic too:D

I've used Ebay mostly for collectible items and old toys from my chilhood that I could display in my office at the hospital. You know to add some joy to the work day. Happy bidding!
Hehe, that is the tactic I use along with a few others. I use ebay a little. Especially for CD's, books sometimes, and I have bought a few nice new shirts at great prices.

I've used eBay quite a lot, mostly for books and CDs, but I haven't been on for ages. I tend to have spates where I'm buying like crazy, and then I won't even visit for months.

I always bid at the last minute, and I've won everything I've bid for except one thing - a lovely trinket box inlaid with different types of wood in a geometric pattern. The damn auction finished at 2.00 am, so I went to bed. In the morning, I found I'd been outbid. :mad:

The wife has used it a number of times to purchase birthday gifts and other things like that. I have never used it, but I'm currently in a 12 step program for utilizing this service.:eek: ;) After boxes began arriving every other day, the realization that it was becoming too much hit me, or at least it did for my better half.:D

I've just received some books that I ordered on Thursday, sure beats ordering them in to the bookshop! I'm also currently winning an auction for the season of Smallville that is currently showing here (four, we're a bit behind).

Sometimes it takes a bit of trawling through cdrap to find some gems, and you have to weigh up the postage costs to the retail cost, but most of the time you save a lot of money!

drmjwdvm said:

Ebay is excellent for books. There is a program you can use called 'Snipe' (I think). This program cheats and gets the bid in for you at the last possible second. You have to pay, I'm not sure how much but I think you pay for so many uses. I haven't used it myself, I'm not that worried when I lose.

blueboatdriver said:
Ebay is excellent for books. There is a program you can use called 'Snipe' (I think). This program cheats and gets the bid in for you at the last possible second. You have to pay, I'm not sure how much but I think you pay for so many uses. I haven't used it myself, I'm not that worried when I lose.

I love ebay, and its a lot of fun, but like you, I don't get in a dither over losing an auction. There really isn't anything they have that I can't get somewhere else, or that I can't live without.

But I haven't seen another inlaid trinket box like the one I lost out on. :( I'm still gutted about that.

I agree it's part of the fun to try and outwit the other bidders and sometimes lose. A lot of the time the same items will come up again in a few days or so and you'll get a second chance. I guess of course if it was a one of a kind and something you just couldn't live without... maybe.

There is a trick in addition to getting the bid in at the last minute, but i'm not going to tell. :)

muggle said:
There is a trick in addition to getting the bid in at the last minute, but i'm not going to tell. :)

Oh go on :p I normally copy and paste the amount it asks for when it says '(Enter £0.20 or more)', so that in the last remaining seconds I won't have to type my offer :rolleyes:

So does anyone know of folks who make a living buying and selling stuff on eBay? I've heard of folks doing that, but I can't imagine trying to make a living off of it.:eek:

I remember watching a programme about a guy who would play World of Warcraft constantly, and flog off his characters on Ebay, which were obviously great, and would make thousands! :confused:

But, no I don't know anyone personally who lives off Ebay.

I just stick a maximum bid on; the highest I'll go. But I only buy books and I don't go higher than I would have to pay in a shop. I've seen people bid pounds over the price for Bukowski and Fante; and these are recent prints that you can get in a shop. :eek:

Back