• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Your February 2010 Book(s)?

-Carlos-

It's just about mid month, so please list your February 2010 book(s). For me it's:

The Tin Drum by Güntar Grass
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
The Brothers Karamazov By Fyodor Dostoevsky

I just grab out of my TBR pile whatever catches my fancy at that moment.

That's my method. I'll request a few books from the library, but what I pick up to read is purely up to what interests me at the time. I just don't get this idea of plotting out detailed lists. Any list I have is merely a candidates list.

No idea. I'm almost finished with my current read and I can't even tell you what the next pick will be.

Whatever method works for you guys keep with it. I like to list all my readings.

But, AB. Dear...You're listing your Wanna Reads, not your Books Read. If I posted my Wanna Reads or Candidates List, it would take days to write it up. I use my Amazon wishlist a lot these days...

I'd like to read The Autobiography of Medgar Evers. Will I get it done in the month of February? I guess we will see, won't we?

Otherwise it is open up to whatever interests me at the moment. Right now I want to read Jane Austen.

I'm currently reading The origin of minds. This has been a fascinating book about how the environment effects neural connections and how your brian helps you figure out situations that you may not be used to. I'm almost done reading it, the authors have done a good job of relating scientific concepts to the average reader, yet have done so in an entertaining way. I like the boring stuff too, but this kind of book is intended for a wider audience.

I'm also reading The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan. In it, Sagan goes over the silly pseudo-science that has plagued us since the beginning of time. He recounts many stories from his childhood. He credits his parents with instilling in him, a sound foundatin of skepticism that helped him live a better life. One thought that really struck me was that many people wnat to know science and are curious about the world. It's just that our schools and social institutions have failed miserably at it, which helps to spawn the creation of "new age" cranks, magnet-shoe crazes, not to mention ideas such as the flat earth, hollow earth, or faces on mars, not to mention other weird phenomenon that only sparkchaser believes in.

I have about five other books that are begging to be looked at. Which ones I might read, I don't have a clue. It's like a demolition derby really.

Man, y'all are all reading heavy stuff! I tend toward reading brain candy type stuff most of the time. My reading list typically consists of whatever comes up on my hold list at the library.

I am doing a reading challenge at another board I'm on, so I am trying to pick books that fit those categories.

This is what I hope I will have the time for in February:

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
A Song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay
Barnaby Rudge by Charles Dickens
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
The Eyes of Darkness by Dean Koontz
Moonlight and Vines by Charles De Lint

Learning

I am finishing "Mr Shivers" by Bennett this week.

I would also love some ideas on any business books, and romance novels. (Valentine's Day)

Yup, my February reading is turning into Vols 1,2 and 3 of Your Face Tomorrow by Javier Marias, should I be so lucky. 2666 is done now and on backburner for discussion elsewhere.

Volume 1 of YFT, so far, is one of those books with long, convoluted sentences and slow plots that I always say I like to read. So I am hanging in there, but it is slow going -- mainly because it puts me to sleep at night after only a half-dozen pages or so. :cool:

I suppose I'll finish 2666, I'd temporarily put it aside. Admittedly at the time it wasn't temporary, but I've recovered enough to probably finish it for a discussion.

Other than that, I have a couple of John Crowley's books in the stack from the library that I'd wanted to suss out in lieu of Little, Big. LB seems to be difficult to find around here at the moment, and it's one of those books that I have to hold in my hand and partially read in the store before buying.
I think I'll like it, but there is a good chance I won't. Howze that for fence sitting? :D

I did ask our local library to order it, as they didn't even have it, so at the least I'll wait to see it from them before ordering [possibly].

In Feb I want to start on Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice and possibly also the extended version of The Stand by Stephen King.

In February I'm hoping to read Dreamcatcher by Stephen King and Dune by Frank Herbert. I don't know if there will be time to read both what with school and everything. So I guess we'll see. And does anyone have any other suggestions as to what to read. I read just about anything but historic novels. Thanks guys. Hope you're all having a good winter, wherever you are.

Back