• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Your Pets

leckert said:
I like visiting people who have a couple of cats. They are often fun to watch. Wouldn't own one, though.

My daughter has a 3lb chihuahua that thinks it is a german shephard.

My wife wants a great dane. That would be cool.

I've had two chihuahuas. They were the nicest dogs too. I got the first one when I was three and had her til I was 14. I cried for days when Susy died. Then we got another one the following summer. Her name was Chaka and she was the funniest critter I've ever known. She liked to act like she was about to grab my toes, but bite the end of my housecoat and shake it like it was a mouse. If she was really riled, she'd stand with her tail out and ears perked, then paw the ground with her back leg, sorta like a shrimpy bull. Sometimes my cousin and I would get her REALLY agitated by tossing her stocking-ball back and forth across the room so she couldn't reach it..she'd get so mad she'd do that little bull thing, then she'd start to bark and it would turn into a bay/howl. I totally understand about your dd's dog thinking she's a great dane. Chaka thought that too until the day she tried to chase a cat out of the yard. As the cat got to the middle of the road, he took a moment to reflect that the "great dane" behind him was actually nothing more than a shrimpy little chihuahua half his size. He turned on her and Chaka found herself in mortal danger and decided to head back to the house PDQ!

There is a 90lb Black Lab next door who is a huge sissy. Whenever Lucy (our chihuahua) sees her, she bristles up and starts growling. Once they were both out and Lucy tore after her. The lab wanted to play, but Lucy kept biting at her heels, growling, really acting like an ass! It was pretty funny, though, to watch this big ass dog backing away and looking at this little yapping squirt as if it had lost its mind!

Are you saying we might have this friggin' dog for like 10 or 12 years?

jeeze.

Maybe I'll leave the back gate open one night?

My cousins had two chihuahuas that were the same age as my first one. They were perky little things too. Go Go, the male was pretty calm, but Sassy the teacup sized female was unbelievable. There was a German Shepherd tethered next door, and Sassy would grab a bit of his food and run just out of reach to eat it; then she'd stand there and yap at him. One day she was just a tad too slow, and that dog nearly ripped her in two. Soon as she recovered, she was right back tormenting that big dog. She wasn't the brightest bulb in the package:rolleyes:

Is it just the way the pics have come out, or is that one FAT cat?
ha ha! Kylie is definitely a tubby kitty. That pic was taken in 2003... I think she may be a little bigger now actually. :eek:

For a minute there, I thought it was a spotted throw pillow!
Too funny Lenny!

Nah just looks like an extremely secure and relaxed kitty. Although if one were to put on thick gloves, I'm sure the kitty could be used for a dustmop in a pinch! Maybe not.
yes, Kylie is very secure with her environment... hehe, and she would make a lovely dustmop :p

Well we just collected our latest addition yesterday :cool: So we now own three dogs - two Alaskan Malamutes and an Australian Shepherd :)

Ice said:
Well we just collected our latest addition yesterday :cool: So we now own three dogs - two Alaskan Malamutes and an Australian Shepherd :)

I'd really like a Malamute. I've heard they are really great with kids and smaller dogs if they're used to them. My only concern is the fur. I don't know if I could deal with that kind of shedding. I don't even own a vacuum.

lilbiteb said:
I have three of my own cats and one foster cat. I work at Cats Protection so I often have cats to "visit" for a few days until space is found at the cattery.

My own cats are Penny who is 16 now. I've had her for 14 years now. She's black and white and very fluffy. Before I got her she had been burnt along the back and stabbed in the back too.

Pandora is about 16 too and is a brindle tortie. Like most torties she's very cantankerous and is the boss of us all! Her previous owner had a stroke so had to give her up.

Jack is 7 and is all black. He was thrown 13 floors in a rubbish sack. The alcoholic owner wasn't even banned when he went to court from keeping animals in the future. Jack is very laid-back and chilled now.

Elsie is 20 and is my foster cat. She had lived in a back garden all her life and is now very frail and ill. She is with me for the last few months of her life. She's amazingly happy and well despite having kidney problems and being hyperthyroid and diabetic. She's very sweet and is tabby and white.

So thats my "brood".... Until the next arrival I guess! :)

Wow... Thanks, Lilbiteb... That's good to be a cat when people like you are around...

mehastings said:
I'd really like a Malamute. I've heard they are really great with kids and smaller dogs if they're used to them. My only concern is the fur. I don't know if I could deal with that kind of shedding. I don't even own a vacuum.
Malamutes are great dogs - our two adore children but I would never leave them alone with them purely due to their physical size.

My boy is great with small dogs but my bitch is wary of them (she was attacked by an OTL dog when she was younger and can dislike smaller dogs). However if they grow up with smaller dogs then they should be fine.

As for the fur, they shed heavily (and I mean heavily) once or twice a year (bitches twice, dogs once normally). I fill several bags up when my two blow their coats :eek: You can bathe them and get the majority of it out in one go though.

I think they are a fantastic breed but I wouldn't recommend them to most people as they are not an easy breed. (I certainly wouldn't recomend them to people over here).

If you do decide on one let me know, I know some people in the States who own/breed/work and who would give you advice (if you wanted it) on a good breeder. That is if you were looking at getting a pup. You could get a rescue but you can't always be 100% sure of their past and I personally wouldn't go for a rescue if I had children.

Ice said:
If you do decide on one let me know, I know some people in the States who own/breed/work and who would give you advice (if you wanted it) on a good breeder. That is if you were looking at getting a pup. You could get a rescue but you can't always be 100% sure of their past and I personally wouldn't go for a rescue if I had children.

I will let you know as our next dog will be a puppy, and I refuse to buy from pet stores. While I would love to be able to do rescue and provide a home to a dog that really needs it, I don't think it would be a good idea with a small dog and a small child. I totally agree with you on that one. Besides that, it isn't really the best way to get acquainted with a new breed.

Cats - Pepper Whitney, Dallas Alice, Mya-mya, Pig
Dog - Henry J.
Frogs - Fernando (bullfrog), Kupo & Louie (green)
Fish - Bugger, Bark & Hamnpork (pearlscales), Moody (mutant), Cheerleader & The Ugly One (commons), and about 30 pond shubunkin

Thank you Libra6Poe, we find her adorable too. Although at this moment she really needs to shut up! :eek:

i have 2 cats

I have 2 cats, one is a female tiger she is 22 pounds of all kinds of moods.....
one is a black male cat he is getting large

Sadly my black cat (female), which I had for ten years, was killed by a car two months ago. :(

Soon after I adopted another cat, a male, and named him Georgie (below). He is a handful, being a teenager (in cat years), but I love him. :D

ai25.photobucket.com_albums_c74_aquablue66_georgie.jpg

I really looooooooove yellow cats... they are amazing.

I have one cat, black and white, called Ajax - and boy, does he have a bad temper.

We also have a huge aquarium with lots of fish, but none of them have names... because to me they all look the same (some yellow, some blue). Except one of them, he really looks like like a rock and he's always very still. I call him "rock" or "dead" (for obvious reasons).

Dharma

Back