• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

annoying!

warm_enema said:
You feel what you are doing is important; the other people feel what they are doing is important. You are being querulous-ninny-head, and being one doesn't solve anything; I suggest looking for a soultion to the problem. The other people aren't being ninny-heads.

If a friend of mine did that; I would piss on them and then light them on fire.

If it is such an awful experience for you, (on the train) move to another seat.

Did I say they are being ninny heads? DID I?

Can you please stop judging me? Can you please stop putting words into my mouth?

If I am doing something, anything at all, it's rude to interrupt me. Either see if it's ok to talk to me right now or wait until I am finished. It's rude not to do so. Has nothing to do with me being querulous. Is it not my right to be in peace to continue what I am doing? It's rude to do otherwise.

If it's so important you're not interrupted, why not just sit in a room by yourself? Lock the door, close the curtains, take the phone off the hook etc.

For public transport - travel wearing clothes you've been wearing for at least a month, and clutch a bottle of whisky in a brown paper bag. Try to look a bit drunk for the best results. People are more likely to leave you in peace then.

Aaaah. This threads almost as good as the Dan Brown one. Where's Abu?

I think it just boils down to a question of manners. Locking myself away is just impractical. If I want to read, I do it within easy access of my children, who are, of course my first priority, but I have taught them, in this and in many other matters, the importance of manners. If they need my attention while I am reading, standing by my side will get it quite quickly. If someone is hurt or some other emergency, manners go out the window and I'm up in a flash. If someone is concentrating on something, to interrupt them with frivolous nonsense is rude.
Just my opinion. :)

Is it so difficult to just tell the person that you don't want to talk? They're opnion of what is rude and what isn't might differ from yours. Perhaps to them, ignoring someone who's just said 'Hello' to you is the height of bad manners, and if you just answer with a simple 'Hi, I'm reading right now and I don't want to talk' they'd leave you be.

Responding to someone who says 'hello' is usually taken as an invitation to continue the discussion. Burying your nose back in your book and hoping they'll go away is both rude and dumb.

Raraavis said:
Indeed, why get involved? Books provide a much needed escape from reality. I would rather read than get involved or know what is going on around me. In school, getting involved would have meant socializing with the small-minded imbeciles who only care about clothes, makeup, guys, and whatever else an empty-headed Barbie doll's mind may contain. A few of the guys were cool to talk to, but after a while I found why they seemed at first so eager to listen. All they really cared about was drinking; all they really wanted was sex. To all of them, life is about image. The purpose of their lives is only for them to walk, talk, act, dress, and only think they are cool. In my experience, it is better to hide behind a book than risk getting hurt or risk lowering your standards by socializing with that type of lifeform. Life has a much bigger meaning and a much bigger purpose; something they are incapable of understanding. So, yes, I get upset when my perusing is interrupted by such people.

Wow, crazy thing just happened. I went to google and typed in stereotypes, and your paragraph of writing just popped up! Weird :rolleyes:

SillyWabbit said:
Would you turn to somebody in a movie theater and start talking to them in the middle of the movie? No, of course you wouldn't!!! It's RUDE. :)

If you were in a library reading I doubt anyone would start a conversation with you. If you were watching a movie on the grass outside in the middle of a public place, I doubt there would be any more hesitation than if you were reading a book. A movie theatre is a sealed off setting for that purpose. It's not a social statement, it seems a difference in your choice of setting.

Try bringing a laptop on the train with you and watching a movie and see how long people leave you alone. Whether it's rude or not I guess is still up for judgement. Personally, since books purpose is to give me a new perspective on real life, I never mind the real thing interrupting me. Talking to people you don't know is one of the most intriguing things to me for some reason.

Raraavis said:
Enema, I clearly stated that I was not trying to offend or attack you and was only stating my opinion, as you are doing now. It's wise to read more carefully before you decide to mock someone.

I was aware of what you said when I posted. That wasn't an attack.

SillyWabbit said:
Did I say they are being ninny heads? DID I?
I never said you did.

Can you please stop judging me? Can you please stop putting words into my mouth?
I can stop judging. Am I going to, no. What words did I put in your mouth?

If I am doing something, anything at all, it's rude to interrupt me.
Get over yourself.

Either see if it's ok to talk to me right now or wait until I am finished.
But how are we supposed to do that without interrupting you? Look everyone, I'm Wabbit's clown; I stand around and wait for him to make my decisions for me, hehehehohoho.

It's rude not to do so.
That sure looks like a judgement to me. Jury? Oh, it is ok for you to judge, but not me...now I see how it is.

Has nothing to do with me being querulous.
You've got to be kidding me--this whole thread was started with your complaint. Last time I checked, 'querulous' meant complaining.

Is it not my right to be in peace to continue what I am doing? It's rude to do otherwise.
If you want peace, take Freya's advice and lock yourself away. Heh, another judgment.

Look for a soultion to the problem don't complain about it.

:rolleyes: I suspect you are *trying* to wind me up Mr Enema. If so, then I am afraid you are failing.

Either way, this is getting nowhere so let's agree to disagree. Almost everybody on the forum feels that it's bad manners to interrupt somebody when they are doing something. It IS bad manners. You think it's not. Fine. Let's agree to disagree. The end.

Annoyances

1. Going to post a reply before logging in. My PC for some reason won't save the password for this forum :mad:

2. Sitting next to someone that chews with their mouth open. The noise it makes drives me batty.

3. When I'm taking a long road trip I like listening to audio books. People talking during a crucial situation.

4. People who correct other people with biting sarcasm and cruelty. Making a mistake is embarassing, but having someone rip you to shreds when you do it doesn't better the situation. (this statement is not aimmed at any particular thread or post...it's just a pet peave I have)

Wabbit, if I were trying to wind you up, I would just call someone a 'greedy, little tart,' but I didn't. I have not stated what my opinion is on the subject; this is part of the problem. It's the end because you say it is the end...damn, how do I keep forgetting this is Wabbit's world.

warm_enema said:
I would just call someone a 'greedy, little tart,' but I didn't.

Waaah! You had to bring that up. Just when I was started to get my life back on track. :(

sillly wabbit, say you wanted to concentrate on reading and someone walked up to you and started talking, your mind would wander off. when you make an effort to pay attention, you resist something. wandering off is what the mind considers distraction because it wants to build a wall against the intrusion of other thoughts. whereas, if you were aware of every moment of the mind, the sounds people make around it and the silences in between, if you did not not waste energy focusing exclusively on whatever book is in front of you, your attention would become sharpened and nothing would be wasted in resistance. if you know how to listen and are aware of your own inward response, your mind won't feel overcrowded and you won't be annoyed.

Back