• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

annoying!

bobbyburns said:
nah, raven has never been an annoyance to me. he was born of an inferior class and has a difficult time tackling concepts of a profound magnitude because he was inbred by a town of backwards-ass rednecks and spent the prime years of his life as a roadie for seventies rock legend, foreigner and wore a mustache with a mullet ...

but I kid.

I didn't realize you were in such pain. I'm sorry.

RaVeN

Huh uh...I'm not going there. Save face somewhere else.

If loving you is wrong, I don't wanna be right. :D

RaVeN

I didn't read through every post so I don't know if this is here yet.
Whenever I'm reading at school, people always come up to me and say things like, "What are you doing..reading...what book???? Oh, what class is that for....Well, why would you be reading if it ISN'T FOR SCHOOL. :\ I get that so much..people so amazed that someone might read because they WANT to, not HAVE to. Its sad really..there are people in my class that have such a hard time reading simple books. Perhaps even worse is my little brother's class. He is in 6th grade and there are kids in his class that cannot read..really..cannot read. When they have to read, these kids have to get books like The Bear the Boy and the Bug...etc. (If you don't know, the bear the boy and the bug is a children's series with roughly 5 words per page.) These kids aren't just be lazy either, they truly cannot read anything more difficult. :(
So, now that I'm done ranting, I guess what irritates me are people who think reading is a punishment, or that I'm weird for reading.

ok...ahem...
I hate it when people start yakking away about their lives while I'm reading..I mean if I ask then fine but don't interrupt me!
I also hate when people fold back the pages of a paperback and the pages stay bent like that.
I also hate when I have a book open in my lap and my chihuahua comes and sits on top of the book I happen to be reading.

Yeah, well, ignorance is no excuse.

I, too, am made fun of for reading as much as I do, always have been. That's ok. They're missing out, not me.

No one bothers me much when I read because apparently, I rock. Apparently, the better the book is the faster I rock. Sucks and it's embarassing but it's unconcious. I must look like a lunatic when I read so no one botehrs me.

I don't like being interrupted when I'm reading, but I can usually get back into the book. However, what really sends me ballistic is when my reading is interrupted when I am nearing the end of the book. Arrrggghhh!! I can't stand this, it completely breaks the flow. :mad: At least my family now know that when I say "I'm at the end of this book" through gritted teeth, they know to leave me alone until I've finished it. :eek:

The other question of being annoyed by the way people treat your books doesn't really come into it for me, as I do not lend mine out for purely the reasons mentioned. (Well, only to my mum and brother, because my mum is as fussy as me about how to treat books, and my brother has been suitably trained/threatened!) :D

Ok

1) When I buy a book, start reading it and someone else in my household decides "OOOh that looks cool" and scampers off with it and starts reading it when I'm cooking dinner or "indisposed".

2) When someone borrows my book, reads it in the tub and drops it.

3) When someone borrows one of my favorite books and it vanishes forever. (If they lose it, they should at least OFFER to replace it. I probably won't take them up on it, but STILL)

4) When I'm at the beginning of the book and someone (a) interrupts me to (b) tell me that the 'book is crap' or (c) start discussing the END of the book and give all kinds of spoilers (PARTICULARLY true when I'm reading mysteries. If you tell me the butler is the killer don't be surprised if I am!)

5) When people interrupt my reading to start an inane argument just to get attention or simply because they like to argue. I know lots of people LIKE to argue. I am not one of them. It would make me very happy and grateful if they could seek out the companionship of someone who enjoys the same level of "spirited debate" over inconsequential things that have no final answer. (This is not aimed specifically at anybody here -- I just have a lot of people who enjoy arguing in my life and I enjoy a peaceful, quiet, read of a good book that I don't know the ending of.)

Annoyances:

1) Morning breath, garlic or onions on the person next to me, and I'm reading something really great but can't concentrate as a result.

2) Fools behind me at the cinema with shoes up the front seat that won't stop kicking or jerking. No matter how many seats away they are, it gets my teeth on edge and I usually confront with a vengeance.

SillyWabbit said:
I find a simple sentence like "stop doing that or I will punch you" works wonders :cool: :D
"Footsie off or you're dead meat, bozo," usually works for me, pupils rolling, eye-whites swelling, of course. :p

What irritates you?

- People standing in the centre of exits and entrances from commerical buildings
- People who interrupt while talking continously(if it goes beyond 3 times on one sentence i'll kill you)

I'm new to the forum so i'm not sure if i should add no wannabe oh so witty folks using a variant of 'people who make these threads' refer to above :D

Ms. said:
- People standing in the centre of exits and entrances from commerical buildings
- People who interrupt while talking continously(if it goes beyond 3 times on one sentence i'll kill you)

I'm new to the forum so i'm not sure if i should add no wannabe oh so witty folks using a variant of 'people who make these threads' refer to above :D
Welcome to the forum then :)

And to your second point of annoyance. I am totally with you there. If it gets too much I simply say: "Excuse me, would you mind if I keep talking when you interrupt?" Totally stone-faced as if it's an honestly meant question. People usually imitate a goldfish after that - which immediately provoke another nasty remark from me. I hate people who interrupt.

Wabbit said:
what annoyances and pet hates do you have?

Here is mine: This really irritates me! When I am reading a book and somebody comes up to me and starts a full blown conversation. I just feel this is rude and incondiderate! I wouldn't go up to somebody that is doing something, reading or some other thing, and interrupt them! I might say hello to them or make some simple small talk but I would never try to enage them in a full conversation. I would wait until they are done with whatever they are doing!

The other thing is that when somebody asks to see your book and they bend the book ALL the way open. Grrrr :)

What's yours? :D

As soon as I get on the school bus, I say to the guy i sit next to and start reading...then half way through the bus ride, he decides to start telling me about the most annoying things and I want to yell 'I DONT GIVE A SH*T!!! I'M REAIDNG NOW!!' and I tlak for a few minutes at the start, and when he doesnt shut up, I just casually look at my book until he apologises and shuts up. lol.

A random, not related put peeve, is when cars slowly roll forwards or backwards. It kills me and makes me so damn nervous!

lol.

I also hate parts in books that are meant to be really big and changing and deep, but are badly written and badly described.

Lani

*If I share a book with someone and they fail to re-mark where I stopped.

*People who smoke cheap cigars

*People who drink cheap coffee

*People who don't turn right on a red light(it's permissable where I live)

*Young people who drive too fast when I'm out with the family.(I brake purposely in front of them to get them to hit their heads on the dash when I'm alone-works like a charm + I have great insurance) :D

*People who curse around the family and I in public(I admonish them ruthlessly)

*People on forums who don't act their age

*Telemarketers

*Junk mail

*Car salesmen

*People who drink wine that comes from boxes

Jemima Aslana said:
Welcome to the forum then :)

And to your second point of annoyance. I am totally with you there. If it gets too much I simply say: "Excuse me, would you mind if I keep talking when you interrupt?" Totally stone-faced as if it's an honestly meant question. People usually imitate a goldfish after that - which immediately provoke another nasty remark from me. I hate people who interrupt.

Oh lord i know but i also at times do it myself without thinking but i always apologise. I was at the train station trying to get information about various tickets and i he kept repeating as i was talking 'thats the cheapest you'll get' over and over til i told him to hush so i could continue

*any lights at home
*beeping

*People who /keep/ talking during a movie or while I'm watching T.V. Especially at the movie theater - I didn't pay $11 to go to the movies and hear someone else's running commentary!

*Along the same lines, people who read out any words that appear on the movie or tv screen. I can read for myself, thank you.

*Just plain rude or malicious people. I put up with plenty of rude people at my workplace (whoever came up with the phrase "The customer is always right" was extremely wrong, because most of the time they're not), and I'm also around a lot of just plain mean people at high school.

*Teenagers/pathetic adults who drive laps around the central street in a town, with blaring music and loud, grinding engines. They're cool :rolleyes:

Back