• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Are books bad for the environment?

Just a random musing...

In this day and age with all the hooha about carbon emissions etc, is it worth considering the trees that need to be chopped down to create the books we all know and love? What would happen if books were taxed through the roof?

Should people be encouraged to use libraries and second hand shops as a pose to buying individual books?

In general, no. You are failing to mention that, unlike oil, trees are a renewable resource. In many cases the trees being cut down are being replanted and that the trees being harvested now are on plots that were harvested before. Trees are basically slow growing crops and are treated as such. I would hope that the situation is similar in the UK and other developed nations.

Books are generally made from recycled goods.Trees are very rarely cut down to make books. But the extras do go to them often. The cutting down of "crop trees" in the Nothern and Southern America has little effect on the environment because they grow back and are there for the purpose. Its the degradation of rain forests that has large effects. But it tends to be more effecting indigenous cultures and rare species. But in Whole cutting trees down has a much smaller effect then the factory farm industry has.

I think our factory farm and meat industry are the major culprit of the degrading and wasting of land here.

I say, buy a Kindle! That'll solve all the world's problems. HAHA!!

Isabell, do you have a Kindle and if so, how do you like it?

To all: Do any of you have a Kindle or some other ebook device? What are your opinions about it?

Another way to spare the environment is to recycle the books we already have. Millions of them out there needing someone to read them and love them.

Another way to spare the environment is to recycle the books we already have. Millions of them out there needing someone to read them and love them.

Preach on Sister Silverseason! Think outside the cardboard box when the time comes to thin the herd on your shelves..Homeless and jail ministries are just two untapped resource for sharing your book wealth...Children's homes and Ronald McDonald's houses are some other ideas.

Preach on Sister Silverseason! Think outside the cardboard box when the time comes to thin the herd on your shelves..Homeless and jail ministries are just two untapped resource for sharing your book wealth...Children's homes and Ronald McDonald's houses are some other ideas.

Yes yes! recycle those already read books. We have a jail ministry at my church and Half way houses are great places to donate.

Isabell, do you have a Kindle and if so, how do you like it?

To all: Do any of you have a Kindle or some other ebook device? What are your opinions about it?

Yes, I do and I do love it. I'll never give it up. I find it easier to read with. I wasn't a big fan of the idea, but my husband bought it for me as a gift and I didn't think I would like it. When it arrived, I opened the box, turned it on and started reading a book that I downloaded. I didn't stop reading until I was finished.

I do have to say that I still read dead trees when Kindle editions are not available. I just go to the library to get the books. I no longer buy books at the store.

True, true, women's shelters often appreciate children's and women's books. Jails and hospitals too, especially hospitals with many long term patients. Large print books are always wanted at nursing homes. Children and teen books can go to group or short term foster care homes. If you are not sure of places to take your books you can check with local churches, libraries and social service agencies.

True, true, women's shelters often appreciate children's and women's books. Jails and hospitals too, especially hospitals with many long term patients. Large print books are always wanted at nursing homes. Children and teen books can go to group or short term foster care homes. If you are not sure of places to take your books you can check with local churches, libraries and social service agencies.

Several years ago, a man associated with our church(his parents are active members) asked us to donate books of all sorts for jail prisoners. He stressed that even children's books were welcome, as A. some prisoners couldn't read well..and B.children often visit parents in the jail..Cookbooks were specifically welcomed too..

The waste is pretty small compared to industry and cattle raising. I'm not one who has signed on to the whole environmental bit. You might feel better having solar panels and the like, just don't forget that a giant rig drove it across the country to deliver it, not to mention that employees drove to work in order to build it.:whistling: Go ahead and enjoy your books.

The waste is pretty small compared to industry and cattle raising. I'm not one who has signed on to the whole environmental bit. You might feel better having solar panels and the like, just don't forget that a giant rig drove it across the country to deliver it, not to mention that employees drove to work in order to build it.:whistling: Go ahead and enjoy your books.
My dh works for a chemical company and there were a few years when the Greenpeace folks would stage a yearly protest at the plant. My husband would always come home shaking his head over the luxury vehicles many of them drove... and the irony that these protests took place in the summertime with heat ranging way over 100F sometimes, these protesters surely enjoyed airconditioning in those vehicles they drove up in...and guess who makes the coolant used in those airconditioners?:whistling:

Back