• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ask Me Anything ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't the term black balled have to do with pool and shooting the last ball -- the black 8 ball - into the pocket?

Well, I was close. :rolleyes:

Black Balled:
Oak Voting Box - Oak voting box used in small towns and fraternal organizations (by the way, many fraternal organizations were located on the second floor of the local general store) to cast ballots. Marbles were inserted into the opening to register a vote--a white marble was for and a black marble was against. This is how the term "black-balled" originated! Constructed of beautiful honey colored oak. Item is scarce and is in very nice condition. Some new marbles included to complete the package!

It is a good link, I use it all the time.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Abulafia:

And also to all the other Blueberry-O-Philes out there.

p101d.jpg

Recipe for a Blueberry Muffin:
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 2 c. flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • One-half cup milk
  • 2 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
This makes about 12 muffins, so one muffin would require 1/6th of a c. of blueberry, which constitutes about one or two blueberries, I think.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

NEXT!!

Cheers, Martin

Thanks for the answer, Martin. Here's another question:

Why, when looking at a map, is the place you are looking for nearly always on the fold or the edge of the page?

I believe there was actually a scientific investigation into this, but I can't remember what their conclusion was.

cooking question

there is something you can put in your upper lip when chopping onions to avoid the tears, but cant remember what, any idea?

As far as I know, the only thing that truly works is to be sure that you have a very sharp knife. A dull knife crushes the cells of the onion which releases the tear-causing agent (oils?). A sharp knife won't eliminate the tears, but will reduce them quite a bit.

You know whats weird, i have no problem cutting onions, it never makes my eyes water!! :) Usually, my eyes are really sensitive to anything that affects them, but not with onions!!

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back