• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ask Me Anything ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning Martin.
Here are your assignments if you should choose to accept them.

What was the inspiration for the title of the song "Walk This Way" by Aerosmith?

How did the 'heart shape" originate ?

Where did the term "Russian roulette " come from? You know, why isn't it called ....oh... French roulette?

Thank you,
Bill

This message will self destruct....................some day.

Ok, back to business.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Phil_t:

Name all seven Archangels.

Michael, Jophiel, Chamuel, Gabriel, Raphael, Uriel, Zadkiel.

There are more, by the way.

SillyWabbit:

What is the age of the universe?

A team of scientists working with the Hubble Space Telescope said Tuesday they have calculated the answer to one of astronomy's most hotly debated questions: how old is the universe?

Answer: 12 billion years old.

Your other question is impossible for me to answer because our knowledge concerning the Universe is way to limited.

BobbyBurns:

At one point does one become too affable?

This is a statement, not a question.

RaVeN:

What was the inspiration for the title of the song "Walk This Way" by Aerosmith?

In the 1974 film Young Frankenstein, Igor at one point says to Dr. Frankenstein "Walk this way", meaning that he wants the good doctor to follow him. Frankenstein does not understand that, he takes it literally, and starts imitating Igor's limp. This inspired Aerosmith's song 'Walk This Way'. The band had written out some lyrics and part of a tune, but they needed a continuing line to make it click. When they caught a late night showing of Mel Brooks's masterpiece, and they saw the scene, they knew they had it.

How did the 'heart shape" originate

Throughout history, Catholics, Egyptians, Africans, and other cultures around the globe have claimed the invention of the heart symbol, each armed with their own theory to back up their creation. More than 100 years ago during the Victorian era, the romantic heart was embellished and became the symbolism of today’s popular heart shape. Regardless of the century, the heart symbol has always been embraced with the energy of love, life, and sexual passion.

Where did the term "Russian roulette " come from? You know, why isn't it called ....oh... French roulette?

The earliest known use of the term is from "Russian Roulette," a short story by Georges Surdez in the January 30, 1937, issue of Collier's magazine. A Russian sergeant in the French Foreign Legion asks the narrator, "'Feldheim . . . did you ever hear of Russian Roulette?' When I said I had not, he told me all about it. When he was with the Russian army in Rumania, around 1917, and things were cracking up, so that their officers felt that they were not only losing prestige, money, family, and country, but were being also dishonored before their colleagues of the Allied armies, some officer would suddenly pull out his revolver, anywhere, at the table, in a cafe, at a gathering of friends, remove a cartridge from the cylinder, spin the cylinder, snap it back in place, put it to his head, and pull the trigger. There were five chances to one that the hammer would set off a live cartridge and blow his brains all over the place. Sometimes it happened, sometimes not." Whether Tsarist officers actually played Russian roulette is unclear.

Okay, that was that. Anything else?

NEXT!

*walks off, whisteling the tune to Mission impossible*

Cheers, Eth ... Err, Martin :D

OK wise guy, riddle me this.

In the movie Planet of the Apes what was the home town of Charlton Heston's character?

How did the "30 second" rule in professional basketball originate?

We all know the Hershey Bears are the oldest franchise in minor league hockey. What is the second oldest ?

Bill
(who's kinda hanging his head in shame)

More challenges! Good!

RaVeN:

In the movie Planet of the Apes what was the home town of Charlton Heston's character?

Fort Wayne, Indiana.

How did the "30 second" rule in professional basketball originate?

The 30 second rule: A team must shoot the ball toward its basket within 30 seconds after it has acquired team possession. Failure to do so is a violation and loss of ball will result. 30-second clock will be reset on changes of team possession, fouls, and shorts that hit the basket rim.
It was introduced to make the game more attractive for the audience, to make it more offensive.

We all know the Hershey Bears are the oldest franchise in minor league hockey. What is the second oldest ?

The Komet franchise (from Fort Wayne, Indiana, I might add).

BobbyBurns:

At one point does one become too affable?

af·fa·ble
adj
  1. Easy and pleasant to speak to; approachable.
  2. Gentle and gracious: an affable smile.
So, my answer would be no.

Keep 'em coming, people!

Cheers, Martin :D

Is any more planets out there? I know there are 9 planets but wonder there may have more.

A Megabyte is one million (1,000,000)bytes.

A Gigabyte is one billion (1,000,000,000)bytes.

A Terabyte is 1,000,000,000,000 bytes

What is 1,000,000,000,000,000 bytes called?

Oh yeah! What is a byte?

OK, I've wiped the stupid grin off my face (before someone else did it for me). Now to the meat.

How many countries had legalized slavery? (other than too damn many)

Who invented the prophylactic? (yes, the rubber kind)

And would someone please tell me why "rap music" is even considered music??? (If fiddy cent married p diddy would his name be fiddy diddy?)

I'm counting on you Doctor!

Bill

Well well ...

BobbyBurns:

Are you a guru?

No.

RichardLowry:

What is 1,000,000,000,000,000 bytes called?

1 petabyte.

Oh yeah! What is a byte?

1 byte = 8 bits. A bit = 0 or 1 = one binary digit.

Kaz:

Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune are the known planets. Every star you see at night is a sun just like ours. Each sun can have several plantes revolving around it. Ergo, statistically speaking, there must be millions and millions more planets out there.

RaVeN:

How many countries had legalized slavery?

You got me, RaVeN, I honestly do not know. Do you? (and if so, cite source please.)

Who invented the prophylactic? (yes, the rubber kind)

The earliest known condoms were used by the Egyptians in the 13th century B.C. They made their condoms out of oiled animal bladders and intestines. It's also said that in ancient Egypt, pharaohs used papyrus reeds to cover their penises during sex. Ancient Roman soldiers used dried sheep intestines (or, as legend has it, the muscles cut from the dead bodies of their enemies) as the preferred condom to ease their minds while raping the widows (how exactly this was believed to work is unknown). The condom appears next in cave paintings at Les Combarelles , in southern France, dated around 100 A.D. Farther east, the Chinese used oiled silk paper, and the Japanese had two forms of a condom: the Kawagata, which was made of thin leather, and Kabutogata, which was made of thin tortoise shells or horns.

Why is"rap music" even considered music?

Beats me, there's no accounting for taste, right?

Oki-dokie! Anything else?

I looked for that as well, but couldn't find any concrete answers. I would hope none, but I think that's a bit naive of me.

NEXT! (and please make the questions a bit less depressing please)

Thank you for the uplifting questions, fellows!

RichardLowry:

Who was the first Circus Clown to become famous?

The American Grimaldi - Dan Rice was the first truly great American clown, as well as the first clown star of the circus. Dan Rice was born in New York City in 1823. His first appearance as a circus clown was in Galena, Illinois, in 1844 at $15 a week.

Igkuk:

Is there anyone funnier than Laurel and Hardy?

This is a question of taste, and therefore very subjective. All I can do is answer it for myself.

Yes.

NEXT!

Been away dor a while but...

Unfair medical question:
Hospital environment
A person under your care is under ECG monitoring (EKG in the States). There's noone else around. The ECG suddenly shows ventricular tachycardia. What is the first thing you should do?

(hopefully the medical jargon around google will put you off a bit)

------------------------------------------

What is wrong with being a 'geek'?

-------------------------------------------

When flying from Greenland to Russia, why do planes not fly over the North Pole (it is the shorter distance than over Europe after all)?

OK Martin, the topic of this post is inventions. Please give the origin of the following:

ice cream

lighthouses

tooth paste

Please use only a #2 pencil and remember, no copying from your neighbor.

Bill or RaVeN, it depends on the voices in my head at the time.

Answer these questions, you must, if you seek to cross the bridge of death!!!!

What is your quest?

What is your favorite colour?

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Regards :D
SillyWabbit

Hello all. I have got to go to work in a minute, but I will answer Wabbit's questions now. I will be back tonight to anwer the rest. Deal?

SillyWabbit:

What is your quest?

To seek the grail.

What is your favorite colour?

Blue.

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

An African or European swallow?

I will return, with loads and loads of answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back