• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

best concert

Nosferatu Man said:
Cheers for the informative stuff, dude.

Yeah, I'm listening to American Beauty (courtesy of downloaded mp3s, unfortunately), at the moment, and I think I'll splash out on the CD soon. I also love Candyman from that album. On Amazon, American Beauty and Workingman's Dead are right at the top of the list - sorted by 'Bestselling' - so I'll probably buy the both. I haven't decided yet whether I'll take the plunge and buy those other albums you mentioned, or download them first to test the water.

I don't know any of those names you mentioned, though: Jerry; Bob Weir. In fact, Bob Weir's name rings a bell, but I don't really know who everyone is. Who sings on Box of Rain? I love that guy's voice. Is that Jerry? I'll have to do some serious research. Wikipedia, here I come.

Jerry Garcia sings Box of Rain. His voice is in a high register, is a bit thin, and has a wonderful tremelo sometimes. He managed to be very expressive without having a powerful voice. He also sings Ripple on American Beauty, whereas Bob Weir sings Sugar Magnolia, has a lower, more robust voice and sounds more ordinary to me.

Basically, those two sing most of the Dead's songs, except for early Dead which featured Pigpen on some bluesy vocals like Smokestack Lightning and Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, but he died a long time ago.

Not been to many concerts. Last one was Justin Timberlake. He puts on a good show.

Going to see Oasis in July. Really looking forward to it :)

You guys should also check the DVD Festival Express. It's about a traveling festival that went across Canada on train. It features the Dead and Janis Joplin, whose emotional performance was just mesmerizing. Anyway, there's lots of behind the scenes footage, people jamming out while completely messed up. Lots of fun to watch.

Have any of you ever seen The Dirty Dozen Brass Band? Wow. That's a good show. I've seen them a couple of times, and there just a ton of fun.

Novella, you`re always showing great taste in one topic or other! I wish I`d gotten to see the Dead in concert. (Live Dead?) I also liked the older acoustic stuff. You guys remember their extended family-? The New Riders of the Purple Sage (Panama Red...), Quicksilver Messenger Service? My favorite was Ron "Pigpen" Mckernan, as mentioned above. Old school blues artist, vocals and Hammond Organ, piano, harmonica, and a generally all around beautiful spirit. When he died in the early 70's, he was considered to`ve been the heart and soul of the band. The good ol` Grateful Dead- some people got `em, and others (poor souls...) didn`t.

lenny nero said:
My fave concerts are:
Nine Inch Nails on the Fragility tour in 2000
ooh! I saw them too on the Fragility tour!!! I loooved it when A Perfect Circle opened up for them. It was in Houston... and it was the night before the first APC album came out.

But my favourite concert was my first concert:
TOOL '98 promoting Aenima.

I also liked it when I saw Stabbing Westward in '99 (I met the lead singer, Christopher Hall).

Dream concert:
Poe opening for Portishead.

Stewart said:
The best gig I've been to was Rammstein a few years ago
They put on an amazing show!!! Pyro technics and whatnot. Very nice. I saw them at Family Values tour '98 in Lafayette, Louisiana. I heard it wasn't as crazy as the band would like it to be because Americans can be so conservative. :p

The Hooters - Temple University Spring Fling 1985. The Hooters were a popular local Philadelphia band who had just signed a national recording contract. They premiered their new songs live for the first time. They played for over 2 and 1/2 hours and did 3 encores. It was a beautiful spring day outdoors and only about 10,000 people or so. The band was having a great time and just didn't want to stop playing.

RitalinKid said:
You guys should also check the DVD Festival Express. It's about a traveling festival that went across Canada on train. It features the Dead and Janis Joplin, whose emotional performance was just mesmerizing. Anyway, there's lots of behind the scenes footage, people jamming out while completely messed up. Lots of fun to watch.
Yeah, while trying to find that DVD Novella mentioned, I bumped into that on Amazon. It sounds amazing (and it's got a relatively nice picture on the front cover), but it's a bit more expensive than the average DVD on there, so I think I'll wait a bit to see if it comes down in price. I think it said on there that it only came out in February this year - or last year. Novella, I'm not 100% sure which movie you mean, by-the-way. There are a few on Amazon, but I don't think any of them were made in the 70s. You'll have to give me a link or something along those lines.

I think novella is referring to "The Grateful Dead Movie" which was filmed by the Dead in 1974. It has awesome animation sequences and lots of twirling deadheads!

I saw the Dead 5 times over the years. I think their concerts are the most fun!

I also really liked David Bowie's 'Glass Spider' concert(1986). Great music and very theatrical.

And Arlo Guthrie puts on an excellent show. Both times I saw him it was like sitting in his living room listening to him tell stories, play and sing! :D

ooh! I saw them too on the Fragility tour!!! I loooved it when A Perfect Circle opened up for them. It was in Houston... and it was the night before the first APC album came out.
I saw them in Miami, on Trent's birthday, with APC opening. He actually spoke a little bit to the crowd. When I saw them on The Downward Spiral tour, I don't think he said one word!
TOOL '98 promoting Aenima
Ugh, I'm so jealous. I would've loved to have seen them on that tour. I was gonna see them on the Lateralus tour but I was leaving for a trip to Big Sur and couldn't go!
Poe opening for Portishead.
God I wish Portishead would release a new disc. It's been what? 8 years? I would put them in my top 5 artists. I don't know how many times I've watched that dvd of PNYC.

Lenny nero said:
God I wish Portishead would release a new disc. It's been what? 8 years? I would put them in my top 5 artists. I don't know how many times I've watched that dvd of PNYC.
:D They're definitely in my top 5 too! I know, I definitely wish that they would release another album or something... Have you listened to Beth Gibbon's album though? I haven't yet, but I definitely want to check it out.

I saw them in Miami, on Trent's birthday, with APC opening. He actually spoke a little bit to the crowd.
That's awesome!! When I went in Houston, I must admit it was quite boring. It wasn't heavy enough for me... but it was still nice. Trent just didn't seem all that into it.

I saw Tool again Oct. 2001 for Lateralus and it was really pretty. In '98 though, it was more intimate because it was in this open field type place with all general admission in San Antonio's "Sunken Garden Theatre" (Maynard and everyone were bad ass, the Melvins opened... Maynard wore his "Save Francis Bean" shirt...). But in '01 it was at the Verizon Wireless Ampitheatre and it wasn't as intimate. Maynard had his back to the crowd almost throughout the whole show. And when he left, he actually left... no encore or anything. He barely said goodbye. :(

APC Halloween night 2003 in San Antonio was really cool. James Iha was was rhythm and he dressed as Heidi and Maynard was "slappy(?) the clown" or something. And when the show was over, they all lingered around, just being weird and f***ing around and whatnot.

Wow Lenny... you really do have excellent taste ;)

oh yeah! Did you hear about Maynard possibly leaving Tool and APC? I'm not sure if it was an April Fools joke or if he was really serious...

I've got Beth Gibbon's solo disc and it's good, but it's not Portishead. I seem to recall reading last month that they had finally started on new material. But I've been hearing that for years now. :(
I saw Tool again Oct. 2001 for Lateralus
Once again, I'm incredibly jealous! Tool is one of those bands I've never gotten to see. Others that I would love to see, but haven't are: Slayer, Tori Amos, and of course, Portishead. I thought that Tool would release a dvd of the Lateralus tour, but it never materialized. Maynard leaving was a April Fool's joke, thank God! :eek:
Wow Lenny... you really do have excellent taste
So do you! Our tastes are very similar! :)

Ben Folds Five at Lupos in Providence RI (1996 or 1997).

I was in high school then and went with a bunch of my guy friends. There were people there, but it wasn't packed. We sat in a great spot at a table right above them. Plus, we met a couple of the band members at a pizza joint around the corner before the show.

I had a chance to hear a performance of The Firebird Suite by Stravinsky a couple of years ago. I loved it, and still cannot listen to it from a cd--not enough depth I suppose. I would like to go to a They Might Be Giants concert someday.

those guys are awesome. one of the best memories I have is driving my mom home from the hospital and a ben folds five song came on the radio. the first line was, "sometimes I get the feeling that I won't be on this planet for very long". she was like, "that's weird, I feel the same way".

mehastings said:
Ben Folds Five at Lupos in Providence RI (1996 or 1997).

I was in high school then and went with a bunch of my guy friends. There were people there, but it wasn't packed. We sat in a great spot at a table right above them. Plus, we met a couple of the band members at a pizza joint around the corner before the show.

John Hartford was cool too! He was playing here in St. Louis, and I went with a friend of mine, and my friend's nine year old daughter. We were in the front row, right up close, and while there was a sort of singalong, my friend`s little girl was giggling, because Hartford was giving her little winks, and making faces at her while he was singing. Priceless! He was very frail looking at the time, because of his disease, but I got to pat him on the shoulder, and got an autographed album. (Signed in his beautiful old "steamboat" style script, with the curli-cues!) He'll be missed! :)

Nine Inch Nails in Boston and Pink Floyd at... Foxborough stadium??? I cannot remember the exact location.

I've seen the Dead as well. Ended up running from the cops with a group of people for no reason... they had one and we went along, for some reason (no drugs involved!).

Back