• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

"Biblically Correct" museum tour

What a bunch of complete plonkers.

Biblically Correct Tours said:
Biblically Correct Tours led a group of home-school students through the Denver Art Museum on October 30, 2007 teaching the difference between good and bad art. "Good art," taught Carter, "glorifies God and reveals the true nature of God, man and nature. Bad art starts with man, glorifies man or objects and shapes." The group of about 8 people were led through the European hall and ended on the modern art floor. Carter showed a few Picasso paintings and stopped the tour short of showing controversial art. "We will stop here and say a word of prayer. Those who wish to proceed may do so at their own risk."

Presumably these were "home-school students" because no proper academic institution worth its salt would countenance such weak-brained twaddle.

I think everyone has a choice to believe what they want, but to force something on especially kids is not right. I hate it when certain religions and their beliefs are forced on others. These men were annoying and they kept looking at each other because they didn't know how to answer to an adults question. I think its closed mindedness.Like I said before through the years men have beenadding thier own "what Jesus really meant" .

I have a few: Don't wear pants to church:confused:
Don't take the garbage out after dark
Don't wash on sundays
I could go on and on! Christians like me grew up and followed this stuff but I personally think Jesus was just trying to teach love one another etc...and not all this other stuff.

This I agree was ridiculous.

Jesus rode raptors.

So I see...

4149983994b1b06b1b8gf1.jpg

I think a sheepdog would have a hard time herding a herd of Protoceratops or woolly mammoths. That would be badass to watch though.

Boy, those kids are going to be PISSED with their parents if they ever try to enroll at a serious university...

"Good art," taught Carter, "glorifies God and reveals the true nature of God, man and nature. Bad art starts with man, glorifies man or objects and shapes."

I am really struck by the cultural blinders here. If these kids are confronted with a Chinese porcelain vase or an African mask or a Hiroshige print, how do they judge them? I am surprised the museum let these people in the doors.

I am sure the cultural blinders extend to religion also.

I'm wondering if that starts with an exploration of the meaning of the word 'theory' in a scientific sense.
That's what I was leading up to.

The theory of evolution is something proposed by years of painstaking research in many branches of science, using vast amounts of empirical data and understanding, to provide the best - as far as knowledge currently allows - answer to who we are and why we are here.

The theory of creationism is complete fantasy and faith is no substitute for knowledge.

What really irks is that creationists put out nonsense complaints that scientific organisations and journals censor and discriminate against them when such organisations and journals have no need to do either. Free speech is allowed and many ideas have been argued over the years before becoming accepted or rejected by science. Creationists should use that faith in their kooky 'science' and start putting it forward for consideration in journals. Obviously, such inane beliefs will be torn to pieces by the scientific establishment, drawing a line under creationism and moving on. So they cry out falsehoods of poor-me syndrome and attempt to refute years of proven history.

It happened to Islamic nations once, going from enlightenment to the dark ages under the tutelage of fundamental religion. It seems that's the way (primarily) America wants to go too.

"Good art," taught Carter, "glorifies God and reveals the true nature of God, man and nature. Bad art starts with man, glorifies man or objects and shapes."

I am really struck by the cultural blinders here. If these kids are confronted with a Chinese porcelain vase or an African mask or a Hiroshige print, how do they judge them? I am surprised the museum let these people in the doors.

I am sure the cultural blinders extend to religion also.

It would have been hilarious to seem them in this recent – and excellent – exhibition.

In terms of 'wrong' art, I wonder if they've ever come across the Nazis' idea of 'entartete Kunst' ('degenerate art'), particularly since the Nazis used the term to predominantly condemn modern art?

That's what I was leading up to.

The theory of evolution is something proposed by years of painstaking research in many branches of science, using vast amounts of empirical data and understanding, to provide the best - as far as knowledge currently allows - answer to who we are and why we are here.

The theory of creationism is complete fantasy and faith is no substitute for knowledge.

What really irks is that creationists put out nonsense complaints that scientific organisations and journals censor and discriminate against them when such organisations and journals have no need to do either. Free speech is allowed and many ideas have been argued over the years before becoming accepted or rejected by science. Creationists should use that faith in their kooky 'science' and start putting it forward for consideration in journals. Obviously, such inane beliefs will be torn to pieces by the scientific establishment, drawing a line under creationism and moving on. So they cry out falsehoods of poor-me syndrome and attempt to refute years of proven history.

It happened to Islamic nations once, going from enlightenment to the dark ages under the tutelage of fundamental religion. It seems that's the way (primarily) America wants to go too.

Nail, head, hit etc.

I remember reading that, even in US universities, many students still cling to a belief in creationism (I remember reading somewhere about a particular incident where a storm broke during a university class when a tutor was discussing evolution. Many of the class got up and left, saying it was a judgment from God). Given the political and military power of the US, it's depressing to find that its supposedly brightest young people, who will be running the country in the future, actually think like this. Depressing and worrying.

It's amusing (in a bleak sort of way) to ask whether the same people think that, for instance, Gilgamesh (the first known creation myth) should be taught as equal to science – or the Roman or Greek or Norse creation myths, to name but a few.

They never want to consider, for instance, the similarities between huge numbers of creation myths from different cultures, times and places.

Back