• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books you are afraid to post about.

novella said:
Kook, as far as The Nanny Diaries, I posted more about this awhile back. I read it for amusement, and it was okay for that, but the reason it didn't appeal to me wasn't anything to do with 'literary merit' but because I just didn't like the main character, the nanny. Sure the mom was a beast, as were her friends, but the nanny character had this kind of air of superiority, like she was really too posh and socially clued in to be a nanny and she was stooping down to the level of the lowly immigrants who usually have the job.

A chick lit book I did like was Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing.
Yes, I looked for your original post, because I recalled you saying something about the book - in fact that was one of the reasons I picked it up. It surprised me because I have this association with you and 'literary' books. But I think deep down everyone has their 'crap genres' :D .

Re: Nanny Diaries - I didn't really 'get' the main character - she didn't really seem to have a class because she was low income and yet her family wasn't... perhaps this was designed to ensure the book didn't appear to be a cardboard cutout of rich vs middle class, but to my mind it just didn't make sense!

Oh, and I picked up A Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing on the same library visit, but I want to get through Jonathan Strange first because a) I don't want to have to return the latter without finishing it, and b) Two chick lit books in a row might be a little much!

Judy Blume and Ann M. Martin were both childhood favourites of mine and I still have many of the former lying around my parent's house. I dive into the young adult fiction that sits about my mother's desk in processing (she's a librarian) when I'm staying at their place. There's something about teen angst that is unputdownable... perhaps it puts my present life in perspective!

Kookamoor said:
Yes, I looked for your original post, because I recalled you saying something about the book - in fact that was one of the reasons I picked it up. It surprised me because I have this association with you and 'literary' books. But I think deep down everyone has their 'crap genres' :D .

Re: Nanny Diaries - I didn't really 'get' the main character - she didn't really seem to have a class because she was low income and yet her family wasn't... perhaps this was designed to ensure the book didn't appear to be a cardboard cutout of rich vs middle class, but to my mind it just didn't make sense!

!

Well, I post about all kinds of books, really. I'm going to dip into a little Donald Westlake soon. I have a Westlake mission.

But, back to Nanny Diaries--I think the nanny girl is from a 'good' family who doesn't have a lot of extra money. She's just from the 'right' neighborhood and went to the right schools, etc., but she needs the money. Still, she seems very smug at points, like she's slumming.

Enjoy Girl's Guide!

I have Good-bye Tsugumi by Banana Y. waiting for me, which is like Japanese chick lit.

I read Angels and Demons. Can't say I hated it. Certainly wasn't the best written story I've ever picked up but I don't have the ire for it others do. I too like JK Rowling and Stephen King. I too greatly enjoyed On Writing.

Seems to me even mentioning books that are considered "literary" can get you attacked these days. Life of Pi for example.

Edit: Thought I'd add my GF and her mother both read The Nanny Diaries and found it hilarious.

Kookamoor said:
Oh, and I picked up A Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing on the same library visit, but I want to get through Jonathan Strange first because a) I don't want to have to return the latter without finishing it, and b) Two chick lit books in a row might be a little much!

I think you'll really like A Girl's Guide... I read it when it first came out and I loved it. It is one of the few "chick lit" books I really enjoyed. Supposedly it is the original chick lit book and I wonder if that was why I liked it so much. Perhaps the rest have simply paled in comparison.

I also read Alice Hoffman, who sort of winds in and out of that genre. You might enjoy her as well.

novella said:
I'm reading King's On Writing right now. I'm almost done, and I don't want to finish it because it's such a good book. His advice about writing habits is great, and also I love what he says about plotting (don't do it) and situations (use them instead). He's very funny, too. I think he's a really talented man and I avidly recommend this book to anyone thinking about fiction writing.
I really enjoyed On Writing too, and not for the advice he gives (I don't really want to write), but for the way he gives his advice. Light and funny, which can be a nice change.

I despised the fourth Potter so much, I swore I would never read another. But the 14-year-old daughter of a friend of mine pleaded with me to read the fifth so we could talk about it, and now I...I...

...I...

haveacrushonTonks!

Whew. Thanks for letting me share that.

Great thread :D

I must say I enjoy reading some of the latest bestsellers that are usually on special offer in the supermarket.
So that would be things like Clive Cussler, Michael Crichton and Jeffery Deaver to name but a few :)

I also love Stephen King but I admit to not being a huge fan of Harry Potter.

Rincewind said:
Great thread :D

I must say I enjoy reading some of the latest bestsellers that are usually on special offer in the supermarket.
So that would be things like Clive Cussler, Michael Crichton and Jeffery Deaver to name but a few :)

I also love Stephen King but I admit to not being a huge fan of Harry Potter.

My name is Scott and I like Clive Cussler. It started out small like it usually does. You know, a glance at the fiction section here, thumbing through Raise the Titanic! there. I thought I could stop, but I was just kidding myself. Sometimes, after reading high-brow essays and other books, I sneak off and read Cussler books.......I'm so ashamed!. :( :( :( Can I get a witness? :D

:)
What a great thread, Can say what we like without fear.. ;)
yippieeeeeeeeee

I have just read Stephen King's 'The Stand' it was fantastic!

I also like Harry Potter (partly because I enjoy reading it with my Children)
And :cool: I enjoy :D using :)
Enjoy lots of other books, but these are the ones I tried not to mention to much on other threads :confused: after being got at a couple of times :eek:

Love this thread
...FREEDOM!

thanks, needed that :D Goodnight all

I'm glad this thread is here too. I took a class for my LIS degree called "Adult Popular Literature" and I LOVED LOVED LOVED it!!! It was all about genre fiction and why people like it. A lot of librarians look down on genre fiction and just keep it around because it boosts circulation stats. In fact, a lot of the population at large looks down at genre fiction. But there isn't the same kind of animosity towards, say, genre movies. Someone rents Pirates of the Caribbean, Scream, You've Got Mail, American Pie, or Gladiator, and no one bats an eye. But if someone wants to read a bunch of romance novels, or science fiction novels, or horror novels, people will probably think that they're either weird or that they're not intelligent enough to appreciate literary fiction. And the goal with both the movies and the novels is the same: escapism or entertainment. It's really strange.

This is just such a great idea, Kook. :)

I never tried King and I'm not very fond of Mr. Brown's writing either, but I do enjoy the Harry Potter books a lot and will pick up the next book, too.
There are also many fantasy books I liked. I also remember reading and enjoying many books by Ken Follett a few years ago.

Erica said:
I have just read Stephen King's 'The Stand' it was fantastic!

that's my favourite sk book. it's not really so much a horror novel though. i thought the whole idea was really interesting, scary, but interesting. i loved how he talked about how quickly nature would reclaim developped areas. i'm going to read that again.

Great thread Kookamoor (i know everyones already said that but what the hell)

I love Stephen King and Richard Laymon.

But my deepest darkest secret.....the Sweet Valley High books....I can't believe I said that out aloud :eek: . I know their rubbish but its like an addiction if I see one I just have to read it, when its finished I think 'what crap, i'm too old for this' but the next time I see another one it starts all over ....help!

I took my lad to get his Harry Potter Book at Midnight
erm er and bought myself one while there :eek:

And enjoyed reading it :D

GREAT THREAD

Back