• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books you are afraid to post about.

KristoCat said:
In fact, a lot of the population at large looks down at genre fiction. But there isn't the same kind of animosity towards, say, genre movies.
Really good point, Kristo. I find that a lot of people look down on popular music too - and then if the bands they like become popular they firstly say, "I was into them before they were popular", followed by, "they sold out" when they profess to not liking them any more. Drives me *insane*!! But you are right - why not the same diatribe against genre movies? Weird. You should start a thread on that to see if anyone can solve the mystery.

Kookamoor said:
Really good point, Kristo. I find that a lot of people look down on popular music too - and then if the bands they like become popular they firstly say, "I was into them before they were popular", followed by, "they sold out" when they profess to not liking them any more. Drives me *insane*!! But you are right - why not the same diatribe against genre movies? Weird. You should start a thread on that to see if anyone can solve the mystery.

Where is the romance and fantasy in the common and mundane?

Kook, great thread.
sirmyk said:
I fear posting anything about the works of Stephen King, knowing that others on this forum despise his work... or any popular author for that matter. If I started a thread based on his nonfiction work (Danse Macabre, On Writing, and Secret Windows) there would be one or two positive posts, and a couple hundred "King doesn't know how to write", "King sucks", or "You're a moron if you like King" types of posts.
There are lots of King fans here. They've just been afraid to voice their opinions lately. I *loved* On Writing as well as Danse Macabre.

Here's an old thread from 2002 re: Danse Macabre.

Yee ha! Power to the people! Don't let people bully you out of posting about books you like. Hehehe. :D

Read something lately in regards to his son writing a new book. Though he doesn't do horror.

Arrrrgh! So many good authors got brought up in this thread! Feel a little disappointed that names like Crichton have to be mentioned under the sanctuary of a thread like this. Don't get me wrong - this thread is a good idea, I'm just a little disappointed to see that this is what it took to get people to talk. Could this be what Martin meant by TBF has changed?

I hope this thread will start the ball rolling, and lead to more individual threads on authors we enjoyed. I'd not put an author I have enjoyed tremendously and has made me happy be made any less valuable in my eyes by people who lambasts it.

ds

Hi, a few weeks ago I read a book by Christopher Brookmyre. It must be one of the highest body counts, with people dying in the grossest possible ways. Wicked sense of humour too.

I bought the world according to Jeremy Clarkson last weekend. :D I haven't read it yet but it looks like it will be funny.

I have a BAD weakness for Patricia Cornwell, although her last couple have been weaker IMO. I just love detective stories - Agatha Christie, P D James, Colin Dexter - and am always looking for authors I haven't read yet. One of the best funs reads lately was Want to Play by P J Tracy.

Morning All,

WOW! Like this thread, My TBR pile will take another leap, ekkk :D

Just Bought
The School Run by Sophie King
A week in the lives of seven people - all on the same route to school: Should be fun.

I also saw 'The Stand' by Stephen King mentioned on this thread, think its one of the most amazing books I have ever read.
as someone said its not horror. I'm not keen on horror as such, but I really enjoyed this.

I also like 'Harry Potter' think he's done wonders getting kids to enjoy reading, mine even started taking an interest in going in the book shops after Harry and now often spend their pocket money on all sorts of books, that can't be bad.

JMS said:
I also like 'Harry Potter' think he's done wonders getting kids to enjoy reading, mine

What about JK Rowling? Hasn't she done anything? :confused:

I would just like to say I disagree. She's done wonders getting kids to enjoy reading Harry Potter. How many go on to read other kids' books?

Diana Gabaldon ~ ''Cross-Stitch'' I think is another great book :)
looking forward to her new one ''A Breath of Snow and Ashes''

Stewart said:
What about JK Rowling? Hasn't she done anything? :confused:

I would just like to say I disagree. She's done wonders getting kids to enjoy reading Harry Potter. How many go on to read other kids' books?

Well how many do? Do we know? Can we find out? I don't have kids but I would be interested to know from other parents here whether love of Harry has encouraged their children to explore? Who can say that in a few years time, these people who started with HP won't be reading many types of literature simply because they have developed the habit of immersing themselves in a book? Its the same with DB, and I know I've made this point before..I dont CARE what it takes to get people into reading, as long as they read..I love to think that they then go on and explore other areas.
I've already owned up to reading Jackie Collins and praising Forever Amber. I'm surprised anyone is still talking to me :D oh they aren't :(

Robert said:
If you want to make the list truly volatile, all you have to do is add Dan Brown.

Don't I know it! I made that mistake as a newbie poster on this forum the other day, and to be honest nearly didn't come back. Now I feel much more comfortable talking to you guys in this thread - thanks! :)

I don't see why we can't all enjoy switching off our brains and reading some fun stuff once in a while. It's like going to see the latest blockbuster movie on a Saturday night - harmless fun. So, thanks again for giving me the permission to post about my Dan Brown and Gobstopped habit without fear of reprisals!

I'm reading "Cybill Disobedience" by Cybill Sheppard.

In fact, just to demonstrate my solidarity with the rest of y'all, and show support for your courage, I'm going to indicate that it is the book I am currently reading. Boo-yah!!

It will be replacing "Life of Pi," which I didn't finish.

I thought Kane and Abel and The Eleventh Commandment by Jeffrey Archer were excellent reads. I also liked Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. Who can have a pop at JKR, she's made hundreds of millions!!!

Sure, people hate these books and/or authors, but they are popular for a reason. The same reason I like £3.99 wine from Tesco, but I think £100 champagne tastes like piss. The same reason I like burgers and hate a la carte. The same reason I like Dilbert cartoons and The Office, but think that Monet's paintings are dull and The South Bank Show is wank.

I do not procalim to be an expert on anything, I just like what I like.

Back to the thread...

I have a nephew that never liked to read... despised it. Due to punishment, he was told he could either have his Playstation taken away for a month, or he could read a book. He chose Harry Potter and loved it. A few years ago he asked me to list some books he might enjoy reading in case he ever got in trouble again. Since then he has read Terminal Man, The Andromeda Strain, Congo, and Sphere by Michael Crichton, the entire Dark Tower series and some short stories by King, and about a hundred others of various authors. I guess I would have to give it up to J.K. Rowling for getting this kid interested in reading, as well as my nephew's troublemaking.

*forcefully yanking thread back on topic*

I have been reading books about engineering, various careers in the various fields, about going back to school, and about financial aid. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I want to study once I go back. I know I still have a couple of years before I start, but the engineering programs at the uni I will attend are quite intensive and I don't have time to waste once I'm there.

sirmyk said:
A few years ago he asked me to list some books he might enjoy reading in case he ever got in trouble again.
What a dilemma! Recommend books he would like, and he wouldn't have an incentive to behave. Pile him up with chick lit or something, and he'd be careful to avoid punishment, but wouldn't develop the reading habit.

Anyway, on topic:

I think my problem might be the opposite of what most people have posted in this thread. I sometimes hesitate to admit that I like the kind of classic we were supposed to hate in school. For example, I loved The Scarlet Letter. Everyone around me thought it was ridiculous.

Back